Old 02-17-2019, 03:33 PM
Par Member

Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

The wrist info makes so much sense! And once again, I find that something as basic as wrist orientation I have been doing incorrectly from the beginning. Again, for as long as I have been doing practice swings/setting up, I've held my wrist with severe flexion

I'm not sure I articulated my questions quite right. I made a quick video, but also going to try and type my question a bit better.

In my relaxed/setup position at the beginning, i have a lot of space where my arm and body make a 90 degree angle. As I begin my backswing, I've been letting that angle collapse. Instead, do I need to keep that 90 degree frame. A light bulb may have gone off while typing this...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2019, 06:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,118 Times in 1,382 Posts

I don't know how much that angle matters...I try to be wide but it usually comes back narrower when I video my actual throws. Just don't have the disc so far back that your body is between the disc and the hit point. I think what feels more important to me, is having the right shoulder inside or over the feet so that you can leverage the shoulder. If you can leverage the shoulder then the arm will lag back and release. I think when people get in trouble with the backswing being "around" too much is that the right shoulder is actually making a circular movement around the feet, rather than being leveraged on the backswing and then forward swing.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,184 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet57 View Post
The wrist info makes so much sense! And once again, I find that something as basic as wrist orientation I have been doing incorrectly from the beginning. Again, for as long as I have been doing practice swings/setting up, I've held my wrist with severe flexion

I'm not sure I articulated my questions quite right. I made a quick video, but also going to try and type my question a bit better.

In my relaxed/setup position at the beginning, i have a lot of space where my arm and body make a 90 degree angle. As I begin my backswing, I've been letting that angle collapse. Instead, do I need to keep that 90 degree frame. A light bulb may have gone off while typing this...

The first setup is fake arm Width, severely limiting reachback Depth. And also would be outside the wall in Inside Swing Drill, so that is an outside-in swing instead of inside-out and what I see in your backswing/transistion. The second setup is more correct. Arm should be in straight line behind shoulder and front toes to trajectory, this how you aim - arm straight back and back of shoulder pointed at target apex.

If you then lead with your butt/weight pushing forward from the rear foot muscle it should pull your front hip and shoulder further back and create a wider angle on the upper arm. Hang in the door frame with butt leading and front heel not quite yet planted same position as Hershyzer hanging with your butt on the front wall and front foot not yet planted. Feel the door frame really turn/pull your body/shoulders back. Your arm should be loose, not pulling the door frame with arm, door frame pulls your arm taut like ball on string!

Last edited by sidewinder22; 02-17-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Par Member

Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
If you then lead with your butt/weight pushing forward from the rear foot muscle it should pull your front hip and shoulder further back and create a wider angle on the upper arm.
Okay...wow. I think that made it click. Mentally I thought I would achieve the wide angle by basically raising my arm in the backswing. Instead, the wide angle is created as a byproduct of my butt/weight pushing forward as my hips are still turning back.

Did I say that right? If so, yet again another realization that I've been trying to "force" myself into positions instead of letting the sequence flow. This time however, it seems "we" may have caught it before I started to practice it much.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-19-2019, 02:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Okay...wow. I think that made it click. Mentally I thought I would achieve the wide angle by basically raising my arm in the backswing. Instead, the wide angle is created as a byproduct of my butt/weight pushing forward as my hips are still turning back.

Did I say that right? If so, yet again another realization that I've been trying to "force" myself into positions instead of letting the sequence flow. This time however, it seems "we" may have caught it before I started to practice it much.
Correct, and your hand should be holding the door frame down low between sternum and navel standing up, and then you drop forward/loading the shoulder down level to the arm and pull/leverage the door frame from your rear foot and center of gravity/butt. Beware I've had people tell me they ripped their door frame down when they got it right. Holding on to the corner of a wall kind of combines Inside Swing Drill and Door Frame Drills.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:45 PM
Par Member

Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

Afternoon!

Looking at my video compared to others, my hips are just not right. Ever since discovering how to load into the back swing correctly, I've been frantically trying to figure how to keep turning back a bit farther as I move forward laterally. While I have had strong focus on trying to turn back more as I shift forward, it has not correlated into correct body positions.

This afternoon it dawned on me that maybe the reason I can't seem to turn my hips back that last little bit as the shift starts, is because I have been focusing on the "last little bit." Instead, this evening I plan to focus more on the BEGINNING of my load, instead of the end.

With that in mind, here are a couple gifs where I start to see a major difference between SW and me:

SW why/how does your right side look so calm doing this slow? I think I see where my issues are:

* I think I'm loading a little too late in my backswing. I can see that SW's heel comes up before mine does.
* My heel looks forced up, where SW's heel appears to come up naturally.
* I have way too much weight on my right leg as I am loading
* Left arm away from my body. I'm sure pulling that in will help with my balance.

Any other insights would be great!
Old 02-22-2019, 04:52 PM
* Ace Member *

It looks to me like you change your intended swing/backswing plane during this gif. Like you start out tilted with a pendulum or right shoulder underneath backswing. You seem leveraged and tilted into the rear hip to set this up. Then your shoulders start to level out and upper spine moves more vertical and you start to turn into a more flat plane.

If you watch SW, his pendulum motion ends up with the arm up high and the shoulders become level. Whereas your shoulders level out before the arm swings to the point where they should.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Par Member

Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

Gosh you're so right! I can see that very clearly. So many little things going on all at once. Thinking back, I didn't consciously try to level out my shoulders, so I have to believe this is more of a byproduct of me not loading/shifting correctly. Right?
Old 02-22-2019, 05:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Gosh you're so right! I can see that very clearly. So many little things going on all at once. Thinking back, I didn't consciously try to level out my shoulders, so I have to believe this is more of a byproduct of me not loading/shifting correctly. Right?
SW just pointed out to me that my shoulder plane was wrong/not penduluming a couple days ago. The way he explained it is that my hips weren't set up right to leverage the shoulders in this manner, but it's easier to see in the shoulders.

So I just sought a more controlled shoulder pendulum feeling, and I could then feel how to load them into my hips better. Basically I felt the goal and that helped me adjust my hips to make that work continually. It went hand in hand with how I worked toward solving it.

Edit: Instead of starting with that angled leverage and having the shoulder/arm swing up and become level, try to maintain this leverage during the whole backswing. That's the main difference in feel to me.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
SW why/how does your right side look so calm doing this slow? I think I see where my issues are:

* I think I'm loading a little too late in my backswing. I can see that SW's heel comes up before mine does.
* My heel looks forced up, where SW's heel appears to come up naturally.
* I have way too much weight on my right leg as I am loading
* Left arm away from my body. I'm sure pulling that in will help with my balance.

Any other insights would be great!
Front side is calm and natural because it's relaxed and being pulled back and up off the ground from the weight/balance/spine shift to the rear leg and backswing momentum. All my weight / balance shifted to the back leg well before the arm/disc crosses my front leg, so my backswing is centered around my left foot. Then I have to re-orient my balance/spine forward and shift weight to the front leg to start forward swing centered around front foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BUOAZrbMGs#t=12m18s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwy1HNMfhbk#t=6m55s