Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Newbie started for weight loss but loving it

Started at 278, hoping to drop 50 pounds by summer time, unemployed right now so gonna be playing 2-3 hours a day, hopefully i get better because right now I suck, best score out of 5 rounds is 42 on 9 holer eeeek

In the Fort Worth area, played a few rounds at Willow Creek but it seems rather boring and bland.

Biggest problem for me so far is throwing it too high and catching too much wind, although it has been quite windy past 2 days.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 29 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers72 View Post
.........although it has been quite windy past 2 days.
Tell me about it. We played Haslet today and as usual the wind was strong. My son and I both agreed though that playing in those conditions is good for our game.

My best friend has not been playing as long as we have and was struggling with nose up issues, especially in the wind today. We gave him some tips on his grip and his throws flattened out immediately. You may want to start there.

Welcome to the madness. Glad you're having fun!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 288
Niced 1,686 Times in 864 Posts

Welcome and good luck! If you really wanna lose some weight, come up north and play in 18" of snow. Never worked so hard during a round before.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 89 Times in 53 Posts

Welcome, great job on the weight. Good luck on the job front. As for the nose up, well I think that is an issue for a number of new players, practice and youtube can help you work that out.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 14
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I quickly lost 10 lbs hiking the courses this summer. Enjoy your extra huck time while you can.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 89
Niced 18 Times in 8 Posts

Welcome to the site, brother! Was stationed in Fort Worth for four years (lived on Denise Road in Saginaw), but didn't know about DG or the awesome-ness of it until recently. Feel your pain WRT weight loss because I've been on both ends of the spectrum. A deployment to Kuwait made me realize exactly how much control I had over my weight. A whole bunch of cardio knocked 47 pounds off my weight when I left the sandbox, but that was before I knew about the wonder and majesty of disc golf.

That said, my advice is get yourself a FitBit and play disc golf. Of course, the biggest challenge is pushing yourself away from the table, but I guarantee that the more you get into this awesome game the more you'll want to play it and the less you'll be tempted by Taco Casa and the like.

I wish you well, brother, and hope you meet your goal.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 7
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looks like Fitbit does not yet have a gps? When they do & are <$100, that is when I will consider getting one that also functions as a watch (like The Force).
Old 02-23-2014, 01:40 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmers View Post
Welcome to the site, brother! Was stationed in Fort Worth for four years (lived on Denise Road in Saginaw), but didn't know about DG or the awesome-ness of it until recently. Feel your pain WRT weight loss because I've been on both ends of the spectrum. A deployment to Kuwait made me realize exactly how much control I had over my weight. A whole bunch of cardio knocked 47 pounds off my weight when I left the sandbox, but that was before I knew about the wonder and majesty of disc golf.

That said, my advice is get yourself a FitBit and play disc golf. Of course, the biggest challenge is pushing yourself away from the table, but I guarantee that the more you get into this awesome game the more you'll want to play it and the less you'll be tempted by Taco Casa and the like.

I wish you well, brother, and hope you meet your goal.
Ha ha good old taco casa, i am too from saginaw, my patents live off knowles dr just down the street from willow creek. I myself live off denton highway in haltom city now, gonna try out north park next week. Tomorrow my cousin is showing me z boaz course.

As far as the weight loss thing, i was 360 3 years ago and got diasnosed with diabetes, im down to 278 and wanna get to 220. Disc golfing doesnt feel like exercise its just fun.

Last edited by Rangers72; 02-23-2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:43 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Welcome and good luck! If you really wanna lose some weight, come up north and play in 18" of snow. Never worked so hard during a round before.
A few years ago fort worth got 13 inches of snow which isblike a once in a lifetime snowstorm here. I decided i wasgonna go walking im the snow... my calfs hatef me about halfway thru lol.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:16 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

played Z Boaz today for first time, great but challenging course!