Old 08-18-2014, 02:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 113 Times in 82 Posts

Got to play both Deer Lakes and Moraine a few weeks ago. From a design and fairway cutting/implementation standpoint, Moraine is superior. I thought 6 and 10 were great multi-throw holes executed perfectly. Effective landing zones leaving well earned opportunites for clean looks at the second shots. For my likes; Moraine actually has fairways that are a smidge too open/forgiving. Deer Lakes is the opposite; several of the multi-throw holes have lots of smaller/random trees (1, 5, 9 and especially 14) that were left leaving inconsistent or random landing zones for shots. Too many fluke trees.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2014, 02:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 156
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic

oh dear lord
who could ever forget this gem

"you see theres this thing we professional disc golfers like...it's called a fairway"

lol so many ridiculous quotes from that tourney out there
Old 08-18-2014, 03:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 226
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 193 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhadella View Post
Deer Lakes is the opposite; several of the multi-throw holes have lots of smaller/random trees (1, 5, 9 and especially 14) that were left leaving inconsistent or random landing zones for shots. Too many fluke trees.
I can see how you'd say that, especially on 5 & 14, but after you play them a few times there are specific lanes to hit. Some aren't giant lanes, but they are lanes non the less. If I can hit them, any Pro should be able to. 1 & 9 have pretty clear paths to the basket, but I'm a homer.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 179
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhadella View Post
Deer Lakes is the opposite; several of the multi-throw holes have lots of smaller/random trees (1, 5, 9 and especially 14) that were left leaving inconsistent or random landing zones for shots. Too many fluke trees.
I think if you get a chance to walk those holes backwards you would think diffrently.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 113 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkeyPuck View Post
I can see how you'd say that, especially on 5 & 14, but after you play them a few times there are specific lanes to hit. Some aren't giant lanes, but they are lanes non the less. If I can hit them, any Pro should be able to. 1 & 9 have pretty clear paths to the basket, but I'm a homer.
None of them were overly hard, they just didn't have effective landing areas that rewarded a accurate drive and punished a poor one. I just didn't see a preferred landing spot or lane to hit. 1, 9 and 14 were more of throw 325' and then see where it lands. If you have a clean gap, your lucky but you can be right on a scrub tree too. 5 is just flukey, don't hit a tree kinda hole. I par'd 1, 5, 13 without too much trouble but could see how the elite would hate the randomness of the landing areas that fail to reward good 1st shots. I bogied 9 with a poor second shot (tried to spike over one of the trees in the open section) and didn't get really lucky on my 4th shot, a threw-and-hope on the wooded section.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 160
Niced 98 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
None of them were overly hard, they just didn't have effective landing areas that rewarded a accurate drive and punished a poor one. I just didn't see a preferred landing spot or lane to hit. 1, 9 and 14 were more of throw 325' and then see where it lands. If you have a clean gap, your lucky but you can be right on a scrub tree too. 5 is just flukey, don't hit a tree kinda hole. I par'd 1, 5, 13 without too much trouble but could see how the elite would hate the randomness of the landing areas that fail to reward good 1st shots. I bogied 9 with a poor second shot (tried to spike over one of the trees in the open section) and didn't get really lucky on my 4th shot, a threw-and-hope on the wooded section.
This. I loved Deer Lakes but when I did my review I noted all of this and got like 5 emails the same day because I brought up this exact point. Pretty nuts.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
This. I loved Deer Lakes but when I did my review I noted all of this and got like 5 emails the same day because I brought up this exact point. Pretty nuts.
Just don't give Flip City 4 stars…
Old 08-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Just don't give Flip City 4 stars…
Ten years ago Flip City was a 4.5 and its probably at best a 4.0.

With all of the new courses coming out now its just not the cream of the crop. It just has that legendary status.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 PM
* Ace Member *

It was supposed to be "tongue and cheek" after what you said about your review.

Back on track: from what I've seen of Slippery Rock, it's long links style golf. OB will determine how difficult it will be for Worlds. If they just make the Fairways in bounds, it'll be tough, but the Pros will like it.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:19 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
It was supposed to be "tongue and cheek" after what you said about your review.
Yeah I picked that up. For some reason I forgot to continue the discussion.

I will say this again though....I am surprised they are only using 4 courses. Won't that limit the field to approximately what it was at Crown Point? Right around 300?