Old 03-30-2016, 08:56 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 471
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 689 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Bio, none of us are "not even going to get an invite," we are getting invites; it's just that it may or may not be in the division we thought.
Yep, this. I'm still going to register in MM1, and hope to bump to MA1. Just not happy it might not happen.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2016, 09:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 194
Niced 117 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Bio, none of us are "not even going to get an invite," we are getting invites; it's just that it may or may not be in the division we thought.
I was referencing a hypothetical situation.

As for your situation, I'd still be upset about it. Changing the rules as they see fit with little to no notice is flat out bs
Old 03-30-2016, 09:22 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicRib View Post
I was referencing a hypothetical situation.

As for your situation, I'd still be upset about it. Changing the rules as they see fit with little to no notice is flat out bs
I don't know if this has always been the rule or not. It just stinks that it's not written out somewhere.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 192
Niced 187 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I don't know if this has always been the rule or not. It just stinks that it's not written out somewhere.
^^^ agreed
Old 03-30-2016, 11:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
I should have explained my baseline is Senior Grandmaster (now). If I wanted to play "up" to Grandmaster, did my Masters points help me get an invitation to play Grandmaster?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
No, the way I understand it. You could only play GM if you earned enough points in GM, otherwise your "generic" points only qualify you for your age protected (restricted?) division.
Steve got an invite for MS1 because that is his base division and he met the criteria to get an invite, in this case, by completing a PDGA tournament in 2015 in an amateur division. In order to get an additional invite for MG1, as kerplunk noted, he would have had to earn 75 points playing in MG1, which did not happen.

I was wondering if this truly was a new, or just relatively unknown, criteria for additional invites. I know of a guy who was Masters age and played in a lot of tournaments a few years ago, but mostly in rec / intermediate. In 2014, he was only invited to play MM1 for Am Worlds, even though he had earned 1100 points combined in rec and int in 2013, far above the 500 point requirement for MA1 at that time. He didn't play MA1 at all that year and earned less than 50 in MM1, so his overall point total got him into his base division of MM1, but not MA1. He ended up playing in MM1 at 2014 Worlds. Due, in part, to playing Worlds in 2014, he again racked up over 1000 total am points in 2014, with over 500 each in MM1 and MA3. He again was only invited to MM1 in 2015. The MA1 criteria was raised from 500 to 750 for 2015 Worlds, but he had more than 750 in total am points anyway ... just not in MA1 specifically.

For comparison, I found another Masters-age player who got invites for both MM1 and MA1 in 2014. He had over 500 points from playing in MA1. He also ended up playing in MM1 at 2014 Worlds, even though it looks like he could have registered for MA1 right away. He earned well over 1000 points overall in 2014, but only a few dozen in MA1, so for 2015 Am Worlds, he was only invited to MM1.

So, it looks like this was not something new for 2016. I can't find invitation lists for Worlds prior to 2014, so I can't easily go back any further.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

There was an earlier question about player packs. As Chuck wisely suggested, we won't reveal that now, but I did want to point out one thing that I believe is new this year. Players will ONLY get a player pack by personally showing up at check-in. There will be no shipping it out, no sending a friend to pick it up, no getting one if you withdraw at the last minute and don't get a refund. Any refunds will be cash-only. This is per the PDGA, not the host. Based on the current schedule, there will be eight hours for check-in on Sunday and six hours on Monday ... plenty of opportunity to pick it up. The full refund policy is here:
http://www.pdga.com/2016amworlds/registration/refunds
Old 03-31-2016, 08:58 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttlikeablowfly View Post
Steve got an invite for MS1 because that is his base division and he met the criteria to get an invite, in this case, by completing a PDGA tournament in 2015 in an amateur division. In order to get an additional invite for MG1, as kerplunk noted, he would have had to earn 75 points playing in MG1, which did not happen.

I was wondering if this truly was a new, or just relatively unknown, criteria for additional invites. I know of a guy who was Masters age and played in a lot of tournaments a few years ago, but mostly in rec / intermediate. In 2014, he was only invited to play MM1 for Am Worlds, even though he had earned 1100 points combined in rec and int in 2013, far above the 500 point requirement for MA1 at that time. He didn't play MA1 at all that year and earned less than 50 in MM1, so his overall point total got him into his base division of MM1, but not MA1. He ended up playing in MM1 at 2014 Worlds. Due, in part, to playing Worlds in 2014, he again racked up over 1000 total am points in 2014, with over 500 each in MM1 and MA3. He again was only invited to MM1 in 2015. The MA1 criteria was raised from 500 to 750 for 2015 Worlds, but he had more than 750 in total am points anyway ... just not in MA1 specifically.

For comparison, I found another Masters-age player who got invites for both MM1 and MA1 in 2014. He had over 500 points from playing in MA1. He also ended up playing in MM1 at 2014 Worlds, even though it looks like he could have registered for MA1 right away. He earned well over 1000 points overall in 2014, but only a few dozen in MA1, so for 2015 Am Worlds, he was only invited to MM1.

So, it looks like this was not something new for 2016. I can't find invitation lists for Worlds prior to 2014, so I can't easily go back any further.

I had a feeling this might be the case.

What I do find odd is that I can't possibly be the first person to bring this up in 3+ years. Why hasn't the invitation criteria been updated to more clearly state what the actual requirements are in all that time? My only guess is that they're trying to somehow limit the amount of MA1 eligible players.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 174
Niced 110 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I had a feeling this might be the case.

What I do find odd is that I can't possibly be the first person to bring this up in 3+ years. Why hasn't the invitation criteria been updated to more clearly state what the actual requirements are in all that time? My only guess is that they're trying to somehow limit the amount of MA1 eligible players.
And or to force people to play in other divisions, to make them larger, to make it look like the sport is more inclusive. At a regular C Tier, I would rather play in a larger field than a smaller one, especially if I am worried about points for future qualification. If I do well, that is more points than if I would have done well in a smaller field. At the end of the day, I personally do not care because I know that I am going to get my points anyway. For those more conscientious of points and ratings, the size of the field matters a lot.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:37 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
And or to force people to play in other divisions, to make them larger, to make it look like the sport is more inclusive. At a regular C Tier, I would rather play in a larger field than a smaller one, especially if I am worried about points for future qualification. If I do well, that is more points than if I would have done well in a smaller field. At the end of the day, I personally do not care because I know that I am going to get my points anyway. For those more conscientious of points and ratings, the size of the field matters a lot.
That's how I was last year. I don't have the luxury of being able to play 20 tournaments a year (wife, kids, work, etc), so I had to be very conscious of what I was playing to accumulate points.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 194
Niced 117 Times in 65 Posts

If they wanted to limit ma1 invites....then they shouldn't allow points earned in novice, rec and intermediate divisions to count for ma1....or did they change that too?