Old 11-29-2017, 09:42 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 214 Times in 148 Posts

One more from behind. Trying to swivel on that hip. It feels a little awkward, like I have to arch my lower back backward to stay upright. It also feels like I'm leaning back, but the video it looks like maybe I'm leaning too far over still.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Par Member

Niced 104 Times in 54 Posts

You are doing it in the wrong order. Go down on backswing, squat and as you swing you extend up. Just like you would on a swing or trying to jump with one leg. https://youtu.be/Mpp7ZFLHK90?t=202
Old 11-29-2017, 12:16 PM
Par Member

Here I am overdoing it but you should get the idea. https://youtu.be/2J2h_9Q2YuI Squat in the backswing, rotate upper body as you start to extend up. There is no forward movement whatsoever.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,185 Times in 1,367 Posts

Yeah, you should be bending the knee in the top of backswing/transition, then extending on the downswing. You are bending into the downswing and putting your pressure into your toes instead of the heel and pivoting on it.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,123 Times in 1,386 Posts

I don't know the way to fix it but what I'm seeing is loosely pivoting around the plant leg...everything is extending to allow for easy spinning. There is no rear leg counter, which is crucial to stay in balance in this drill. As you follow through, your rear knee goes to where your front knee was, I guess to try to maintain weight balance...but it causes everything to get yanked right. Basically I'm saying that you're trying to maintain your balance in the wrong way by pivoting your left side around to prevent falling, rather than countering with the left side during the throw.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 214 Times in 148 Posts

Old 11-29-2017, 07:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,123 Times in 1,386 Posts

I think you're loading too much into the leg rather than having a turning/pivoting rhythmic reachback. Also try bringing the left elbow and upper arm directly to your left hip and at/through the plant leg, it'll feel like it's moving in a straight line. At nearly the same time you will be letting the left leg/foot go directly targetwards behind the plant leg...to me it feels like my left heel moves toward the target behind me. Then let the swing happen.

You're letting too much rotation happen around the axis, and it's happening pretty wide. The left elbow is swinging wide around the axis and the left knee is swinging wide around. Nothing is moving toward the target then pivoting.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,185 Times in 1,367 Posts

Frame 1 - Setup, note how much more upright I am in the setup and facing the target with a full pre-swing, front hip is stacked over knee which is stacked over ankle.

Frame 2 - Top of Backswing/Transition, note how your posture appears to be folding up with your front knee past your toes and trying to keep a wide backswing with the over exaggerated left arm having to counter balance and throwing extra weight around you - your weight is spread out more left and right. I don't think it's possible to round in One Leg Drill - wide reachback is all relative to your upper arm angle, not where your disc is. It looks like are forcing the disc into a position at the top instead of letting go of the weight of the disc go to the top abandoned. Note how more centered all my weight is with arms in closer to the throwing line and front knee just slightly flexed.

Frame 3 - Power Zone, note how your shoulders are open and rear knee appears to have fallen.

Frame 4 - Hit, note how your disc is coming rightward across the foot toward your body. My disc is going leftward across the foot and away from body/weight - countered.

Frame 5 - Finish, note how your rear side is over-rotating around and not countering the disc/arm action and your front knee is over to the right side of your ankle. Note how I'm more solidly posted up on the front leg with knee stacked right over ankle.

Pay attention around 5m talking about setting up upright stacked on front leg and how the rear leg is setup and just hanging from the hip and the part about the rear side not falling:

Niced: (1)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 11-29-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:57 AM
Par Member

Timing and balance. Take something heavier than a disc and start swinging it back and forth. Once you get accustomed to it, you can start pumping speed into it by extending your leg. If you accomplish that you should be balanced in the correct way "front hip is stacked over knee which is stacked over ankle."

Niced: (2)

Old 11-30-2017, 01:30 AM
Par Member

Also I think this is a great drill to give you the feel of how natural it should feel. SW will probably point that its missing some key components but it did help my 70yr old dad find some balance. Before my dad tried to get into correct positions and just kept tumblin over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjNQC9S1u_E
Some explanation. Extend your right arm to your side and slap your hands together, cant do it without doing a secret agent pose aka turning internally. It should feel so natural that you dont even have to think about it. This _drill_ should help to feel the right things, such as internal rotation, balance and how it feels to be stacked upright. Feel free to correct me on this one SW I am kinda freestyling here