Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,460 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5QU166Y View Post
I would rather watch post-production videos personally. With only one or two cameras, live coverage of disc golf is pretty boring. Also, I highly doubt live coverage provides any additional exposure for the sport. I assume tournaments are only watched by people who are already fans of disc golf anyway.
One reason why live video shouldn't be a real high priority. Good to have, a nice benefit for disc golfers out there (PDGA members or not), makes it feel a little more prestigious for the players.....but not really furthering the PDGA's mission a whole lot.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:20 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 735 Times in 336 Posts

Quote:
I would rather watch post-production videos personally. With only one or two cameras, live coverage of disc golf is pretty boring. Also, I highly doubt live coverage provides any additional exposure for the sport. I assume tournaments are only watched by people who are already fans of disc golf anyway.
This!

And not only this, a non-disc golfer is much more likely to watch 30 - 45 min of edited high quality content w/ commentary than 4 hours of watching people walk.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,460 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
This!

And not only this, a non-disc golfer is much more likely to watch 30 - 45 min of edited high quality content w/ commentary than 4 hours of watching people walk.
Right.

Well, there's a place for both....but if they're thinking about publicity and catching the eyes of non-disc-golfers, the post-produced videos would seem to have much better chances.

Live's benefit for devoted fans is the same as for fans of any spectator sport---to watch while the outcome is still uncertain. It shouldn't be dismissed.....I just doubt it's real high on the priority list.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,241 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
What makes you thing they didn't "think this through"?

Live coverage is not making anyone money (I'd guess at best it's break-even for the broadcaster). Ad revenue off-sets costs for Smashboxx...I don't think the PDGA sees a dime of it. In fact, I'm pretty sure the PDGA is paying for Smashboxx to cover events, not getting paid for it. So live is costing the PDGA money, and whether they derive any benefits from the expenditure is open for debate.

Priority for hosting Worlds should first and foremost be course quality (followed closely by good staffing). I'd rather see Worlds contested on the highest quality courses the host area has to offer with no coverage than played on inferior courses that have superior cell signal.

I love live coverage, and am just as disappointed as anyone that this can't be covered, but it's putting the cart before the horse to say that live coverage needs to be a priority when awarding hosting rights to any event. Maybe when we reach a point where multiple outlets are vying to pay to cover Worlds (like we see with most televised sports), signal quality should take precedence.
I think the PDGAs media budget has been known to pay for such things. For me, that's a good use of my membership money, but not for everyone, as you can see here. I suspect the non live is more about signal, see upthread, than lack of planning. I'm pretty confident the PDGA knows about it and made a decision.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,076 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
As long as the post round vids are actually done in a timely manner. It really sucks trying to dodge spoilers for several days. Also, even if I haven't gotten spoiled, the post-pro vids are decidedly less dramatic for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
This!

Blah non-disc golfers. Are we really gonna base the coverage on what people, who don't even care about our game, "might" do. The post-pro vids will still be there for those people to watch...

It is pretty stupid, IMO, to not have either of the two biggest events of the year live streamed.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 128
Niced 735 Times in 336 Posts

The fact that we are upset that an event isn't being shown live and rather will be available for viewing with a week of the event says a lot about how much our sport has grown.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,076 Times in 1,647 Posts

I need to win the lottery tomorrow night. I would start two endowments(is endowments the correct term?). One for bench installation at any course that wants them( my chunky brothers out there know what I mean). The second would be for media...
Old 06-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 159
Niced 301 Times in 144 Posts

Terry has said that there isnt great Cell Coverage so live wouldnt be able to happen. He talked about doing just live commentary and no video but he wasnt sure if he could even make that work.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:15 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,033 Times in 250 Posts

First. I agree with whoever said that the main priority should be course quality. As the guy who produces all the live coverage, I want to see a great battle on great courses.

Second. Even the DGPT doesn't always take into account signal quality (See Waco).

Third. I too think that recorded coverage is not as exciting as live. There is something about watching it happen that is "lightning in a bottle" that can not be reproduced with post recorded stuff. Even if you avoid the spoilers, it isn't the same.

Fourth (tangent). Spoiler averse people... Ugggh. If the video doesn't come out the next day, I no longer worry about your precious spoilers. People were REALLY pissy at us for posting our TUESDAY NIGHT podcast that was titled, "Ricky Wysocki - Beaver State Fling Wrap-Up". Because we had the reigning world champ on the week before he defends, the guy who the week previous aced a hole to win (and did happen to win BSF). They assumed the title spoiled it, even though it wasn't explicitly stated he won. It isn't our job to find out when everyone puts out their video footage. Spoiler warning - We will have a lot of videos at SmashBoxx this week. I kinda want to post fake & true spoilers all week long everywhere I can.

Fifth (final). SmashBoxx isn't going to be live that we know of. There is one or 2 more things that we are going to try while we are there to possibly help the signal, but we are not confident. But we will do nightly wrap up shows and podcasts. Possibly some FB live stuff and other social media.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 239 Times in 118 Posts

mcBeast wins... jk

just a reminder to use this [^spoiler] if you are posting about the results this week, please

Last edited by chevis; 06-19-2017 at 11:36 AM.