Old 06-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 105 Times in 35 Posts

I'm admittedly a noob, so maybe I'm missing something here, but if Worlds is four rounds, how is it different than any other major tournament? Is there some kind of playoff after that with the top few players?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2017, 02:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,254 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMonk View Post
I'm admittedly a noob, so maybe I'm missing something here, but if Worlds is four rounds, how is it different than any other major tournament? Is there some kind of playoff after that with the top few players?

May ants infest your armpits for mentioning this. Wait ten minutes and you'll get a diatribe.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 30
Niced 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
it did until they made it back into a NT this year.
Are you sure? It's listed as a M (Major) on the PDGA website.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMonk View Post
From a format perspective, it really isn't any different than other tournaments anymore. It's more the name and the history (and the official Major status) that give it the added prestige. Some are upset because Worlds used to (as in, before this year) feature more rounds overall and this is a break from tradition. But part of that old format had to do with involving multiple divisions and therefore more players, so shorter and less challenging courses were included for the purposes of expediency (and also because they were what was available).

Now, with Worlds only including MPO/FPO, the tournament can be run on courses that are tailored specifically to challenge the very best in the game. And with that added challenge in the design of the course, fewer holes are needed to separate the wheat from the chaff. A marathon is no longer needed to allow for the cream to rise to the top.

It should be noted that there's nothing of significance, format-wise, differentiating ball golf majors from typical PGA Tour events like the Memorial two weeks ago, this past weekend's St Jude's Classic or the Travelers Championship in two weeks. But this week is the US Open and it's special, due in large part to the history of the event.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 83
Niced 97 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I didn't realize the finals were at Ft. Gordon until just now. Not sure I want to jump through the hoops to go watch.
is it that difficult these days? I have played golf there granted it was years ago and they went thru the car with a fine tooth comb and mirrors underneath but wasn't too exhausting. And a back round check lol, i highly doubt that.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
From a format perspective, it really isn't any different than other tournaments anymore. It's more the name and the history (and the official Major status) that give it the added prestige. Some are upset because Worlds used to (as in, before this year) feature more rounds overall and this is a break from tradition. But part of that old format had to do with involving multiple divisions and therefore more players, so shorter and less challenging courses were included for the purposes of expediency (and also because they were what was available).

Now, with Worlds only including MPO/FPO, the tournament can be run on courses that are tailored specifically to challenge the very best in the game. And with that added challenge in the design of the course, fewer holes are needed to separate the wheat from the chaff. A marathon is no longer needed to allow for the cream to rise to the top.

It should be noted that there's nothing of significance, format-wise, differentiating ball golf majors from typical PGA Tour events like the Memorial two weeks ago, this past weekend's St Jude's Classic or the Travelers Championship in two weeks. But this week is the US Open and it's special, due in large part to the history of the event.
The courses are set up differently for majors, i.e. faster greens, longer rough, with the exception being Augusta which rarely changes.

The US Open generally is the hardest course they play all year and scores reflect that.

so i would have a disagree with your statement a little, format wise you are 100% correct, course wise that is different thing all together.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,462 Times in 1,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatRedDude View Post
is it that difficult these days? I have played golf there granted it was years ago and they went thru the car with a fine tooth comb and mirrors underneath but wasn't too exhausting. And a back round check lol, i highly doubt that.
If you're from one of 12 states, including neighboring South Carolina which is mine, you need 2 forms of I.D. They're very specific about which I.D.s qualify, and I only have 1.

You also have to pass a background check. Not a problem myself (though I know some disc golfers who would fail), but I'm not sure I want to bother, just to watch disc golf.

At least, that's what the literature issued expressly for this event says.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,462 Times in 1,166 Posts

"Spectators as well as competitors that did not register on or before Friday, May 19th will be required to go through the standard entry procedure prior to gaining access to the facility which includes a federal background check. Upon completion of the process, a 30-day pass will be issued."
Old 06-12-2017, 03:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,104 Times in 525 Posts

that better be one spectacular piece of land.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
that better be one spectacular piece of land.
its a beautiful piece of land, but no thanks on background checks to watch some frolf, a bit too much