#1  
Old 08-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Major Tomahawk Major Tomahawk is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Manteca, CA
Posts: 591
Niced 229 Times in 90 Posts
Default Pro Masters Worlds 2017 Aftermath

I had a really good time in Grand Rapids. Between the courses and the brew-pubs there wasn't much time to do anything else. It was a marathon tourney compared to Open Worlds. So much for age protection. At 147 holes, I played more than twice the golf as the Open players did at their worlds. Too bad the tourney didn't end at 72 holes. I would have won, but alas, Greenwell is a buzz-saw champion.

It was nice to play with Chuck Kennedy and I played all 147 holes with Johnny Sias.

Next year is Kansas City and I'm wondering if this venue will be tweaked to, maybe, one round a day. I would like that so I can do a little more sightseeing. I definitely want to go to the Negro League Museum.
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-22-2017, 01:48 PM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,189
Niced 1,129 Times in 345 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tomahawk View Post
I had a really good time in Grand Rapids. Between the courses and the brew-pubs there wasn't much time to do anything else. It was a marathon tourney compared to Open Worlds. So much for age protection. At 147 holes, I played more than twice the golf as the Open players did at their worlds. Too bad the tourney didn't end at 72 holes. I would have won, but alas, Greenwell is a buzz-saw champion.

It was nice to play with Chuck Kennedy and I played all 147 holes with Johnny Sias.

Next year is Kansas City and I'm wondering if this venue will be tweaked to, maybe, one round a day. I would like that so I can do a little more sightseeing. I definitely want to go to the Negro League Museum.
Great showing out there! NorCal Represent!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-22-2017, 03:14 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 233
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,627
Niced 1,170 Times in 538 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tomahawk View Post
I had a really good time in Grand Rapids. Between the courses and the brew-pubs there wasn't much time to do anything else. It was a marathon tourney compared to Open Worlds. So much for age protection. At 147 holes, I played more than twice the golf as the Open players did at their worlds. Too bad the tourney didn't end at 72 holes. I would have won, but alas, Greenwell is a buzz-saw champion.

It was nice to play with Chuck Kennedy and I played all 147 holes with Johnny Sias.

Next year is Kansas City and I'm wondering if this venue will be tweaked to, maybe, one round a day. I would like that so I can do a little more sightseeing. I definitely want to go to the Negro League Museum.
Very cool that you got to play with some legend of our game and a great finish. As a GM, I am going to disagree on the amount of play. I enjoyed the endurance test during AM Worlds and love the idea that one tournament a year has that kind of demands.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-22-2017, 04:22 PM
DiscJunkie's Avatar
DiscJunkie DiscJunkie is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,378
Niced 361 Times in 155 Posts
Default

I really don't want to de-rail the thread, but it just seemed surreal that the Masters Worlds ran 6 rounds, plus Semis and Finals for all but the eldest divisions
and our Open Worlds contestants and organizers did four rounds and called it a weak (see what I did there?).

Congratulations to our Pro Masters contestants and especially to the organizers and TD's for doing it the right way, the old-fashioned way.

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-22-2017, 05:20 PM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,189
Niced 1,129 Times in 345 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
I really don't want to de-rail the thread, but it just seemed surreal that the Masters Worlds ran 6 rounds, plus Semis and Finals for all but the eldest divisions
and our Open Worlds contestants and organizers did four rounds and called it a weak (see what I did there?).

Congratulations to our Pro Masters contestants and especially to the organizers and TD's for doing it the right way, the old-fashioned way.
Please don't start this stuff up again.


Older players like the marathon, younger touring pros don't. Older players use it as a meeting point for seeing old friends and taking a vacation for a week. The new generation doesn't want the excess (yes, it's excess) wear and tear right in the middle of a busy touring season...because they're full time.

This is straight out of mouths of various pros of various ages, let's just leave it at that and not beat a dead horse.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-22-2017, 05:34 PM
roblee roblee is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 95
Niced 29 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Great effort Bro. Oh sooo close. Pressure all the way. Anxious to hear the details.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-22-2017, 06:01 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 233
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,627
Niced 1,170 Times in 538 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Please don't start this stuff up again.


Older players like the marathon, younger touring pros don't. Older players use it as a meeting point for seeing old friends and taking a vacation for a week. The new generation doesn't want the excess (yes, it's excess) wear and tear right in the middle of a busy touring season...because they're full time.

This is straight out of mouths of various pros of various ages, let's just leave it at that and not beat a dead horse.
Well, the OP really started a thread about an old horse.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-23-2017, 01:22 PM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,189
Niced 1,129 Times in 345 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Well, the OP really started a thread about an old horse.
I think the phrase is "old dog", an old horse just gets turned into glue

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-23-2017, 03:18 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,507
Niced 1,244 Times in 715 Posts
Default

Even though Jamie is right, I still have to write this. It just proves what we all know, knarly old men still rock!
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 08-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Major Tomahawk Major Tomahawk is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Manteca, CA
Posts: 591
Niced 229 Times in 90 Posts
Default

1st Amendment rights allow people to beat dead dogs and horses.

I would guestimate that 3%(total lowball guess) of the players at Masters Worlds are on DGCR. Without solid empirical data solicited from a scientific investigation, word of mouth from unknown sources/players means nothing in the scope of how to run a world championship. Maybe if the pdga put out some survey questions and received answers from the players that were actually at the Masters Worlds would any real insight be gained.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 PDGA Tim Selinske Masters Nemmers Tournaments & Leagues 12 05-07-2018 02:02 PM
2017 Prediction Contest - Masters discallday Tournaments & Leagues 17 06-08-2017 07:53 PM
Only Chances to Play 2017 Pro Worlds Course bwgort Tournaments & Leagues 14 09-15-2016 09:16 AM
Masters - re Worlds bazillion Tournaments & Leagues 10 07-14-2010 05:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.