Old 08-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 229 Times in 90 Posts
Default Pro Masters Worlds 2017 Aftermath

I had a really good time in Grand Rapids. Between the courses and the brew-pubs there wasn't much time to do anything else. It was a marathon tourney compared to Open Worlds. So much for age protection. At 147 holes, I played more than twice the golf as the Open players did at their worlds. Too bad the tourney didn't end at 72 holes. I would have won, but alas, Greenwell is a buzz-saw champion.

It was nice to play with Chuck Kennedy and I played all 147 holes with Johnny Sias.

Next year is Kansas City and I'm wondering if this venue will be tweaked to, maybe, one round a day. I would like that so I can do a little more sightseeing. I definitely want to go to the Negro League Museum.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2017, 01:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,129 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tomahawk View Post
I had a really good time in Grand Rapids. Between the courses and the brew-pubs there wasn't much time to do anything else. It was a marathon tourney compared to Open Worlds. So much for age protection. At 147 holes, I played more than twice the golf as the Open players did at their worlds. Too bad the tourney didn't end at 72 holes. I would have won, but alas, Greenwell is a buzz-saw champion.

It was nice to play with Chuck Kennedy and I played all 147 holes with Johnny Sias.

Next year is Kansas City and I'm wondering if this venue will be tweaked to, maybe, one round a day. I would like that so I can do a little more sightseeing. I definitely want to go to the Negro League Museum.
Great showing out there! NorCal Represent!
Old 08-22-2017, 03:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 233
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,170 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tomahawk View Post

Very cool that you got to play with some legend of our game and a great finish. As a GM, I am going to disagree on the amount of play. I enjoyed the endurance test during AM Worlds and love the idea that one tournament a year has that kind of demands.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-22-2017, 04:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 40
Niced 361 Times in 155 Posts

I really don't want to de-rail the thread, but it just seemed surreal that the Masters Worlds ran 6 rounds, plus Semis and Finals for all but the eldest divisions
and our Open Worlds contestants and organizers did four rounds and called it a weak (see what I did there?).

Congratulations to our Pro Masters contestants and especially to the organizers and TD's for doing it the right way, the old-fashioned way.

Niced: (3)
Old 08-22-2017, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
I really don't want to de-rail the thread, but it just seemed surreal that the Masters Worlds ran 6 rounds, plus Semis and Finals for all but the eldest divisions
and our Open Worlds contestants and organizers did four rounds and called it a weak (see what I did there?).

Congratulations to our Pro Masters contestants and especially to the organizers and TD's for doing it the right way, the old-fashioned way.
Please don't start this stuff up again.

Older players like the marathon, younger touring pros don't. Older players use it as a meeting point for seeing old friends and taking a vacation for a week. The new generation doesn't want the excess (yes, it's excess) wear and tear right in the middle of a busy touring season...because they're full time.

This is straight out of mouths of various pros of various ages, let's just leave it at that and not beat a dead horse.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 29 Times in 18 Posts

Great effort Bro. Oh sooo close. Pressure all the way. Anxious to hear the details.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-22-2017, 06:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 233
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,170 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Please don't start this stuff up again.

Older players like the marathon, younger touring pros don't. Older players use it as a meeting point for seeing old friends and taking a vacation for a week. The new generation doesn't want the excess (yes, it's excess) wear and tear right in the middle of a busy touring season...because they're full time.

This is straight out of mouths of various pros of various ages, let's just leave it at that and not beat a dead horse.
Well, the OP really started a thread about an old horse.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Well, the OP really started a thread about an old horse.
I think the phrase is "old dog", an old horse just gets turned into glue

Old 08-23-2017, 03:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,244 Times in 715 Posts

Even though Jamie is right, I still have to write this. It just proves what we all know, knarly old men still rock!

Old 08-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 229 Times in 90 Posts

1st Amendment rights allow people to beat dead dogs and horses.

I would guestimate that 3%(total lowball guess) of the players at Masters Worlds are on DGCR. Without solid empirical data solicited from a scientific investigation, word of mouth from unknown sources/players means nothing in the scope of how to run a world championship. Maybe if the pdga put out some survey questions and received answers from the players that were actually at the Masters Worlds would any real insight be gained.