Old 10-27-2017, 01:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 591 Times in 298 Posts
Default Tee shot OB past the basket

This came up a week ago at my doubles league. My partner threw his tee shot over the basket, hitting a fence that played OB. The disc was still in, though there wasn't room to stand behind it and putt. Casual relief brought the lie a meter directly toward the basket.

1. Is that allowed? We were well out of contention and putted from there anyway, but weren't sure.
2. Would it have made a difference if it went OB?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2017, 01:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 54
Niced 25 Times in 9 Posts

1. Yea that is allowed.
2. Yes, you would throw from the same spot but with a one stroke penalty.

This is unless the TD has made the out of bounds a re-throw or a drop-zone.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-27-2017, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,499 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
This came up a week ago at my doubles league. My partner threw his tee shot over the basket, hitting a fence that played OB. The disc was still in, though there wasn't room to stand behind it and putt. Casual relief brought the lie a meter directly toward the basket.

1. Is that allowed? We were well out of contention and putted from there anyway, but weren't sure.
2. Would it have made a difference if it went OB?
Well, it's not "casual relief" but yes, it is allowed. Any time a disc is within 1 meter of an OB line, you are entitled to take up to a meter of relief from the OB line (not the disc). Even if it takes you closer to the target.
802.03 Marking the Lie
D. If the position of the thrown disc is in-bounds but within one meter of an out-of-bounds line, the lie may be marked by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface at any point on a one-meter line that extends perpendicularly from the nearest point on the out-of-bounds line and passes through the center of the thrown disc, even if the direction takes the lie closer to the target. For the purpose of marking the lie, the out-of-bounds line represents a vertical plane.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.8
Courses Played: 326
Niced 1,255 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Well, it's not "casual relief" but yes, it is allowed. Any time a disc is within 1 meter of an OB line, you are entitled to take up to a meter of relief from the OB line (not the disc). Even if it takes you closer to the target.
802.03 Marking the Lie
D. If the position of the thrown disc is in-bounds but within one meter of an out-of-bounds line, the lie may be marked by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface at any point on a one-meter line that extends perpendicularly from the nearest point on the out-of-bounds line and passes through the center of the thrown disc, even if the direction takes the lie closer to the target. For the purpose of marking the lie, the out-of-bounds line represents a vertical plane.
Not Casual Relief, but it is another kind of Relief. In general, Relief is moving the lie without penalty.

For example, from the 2108 rules:
Quote:
The out-of-bounds line extends a vertical plane. When marking within one meter
of the out-of-bounds line, the one-meter relief may be taken from any point up
or down on the vertical plane.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,499 Times in 1,052 Posts

I understand it is relief. My point was that it is not "casual relief" in the sense that some refer to any relief as "casual". Sort of the same way some folks will call any warning (such as a warning for a stance violation) a "courtesy warning". It's semantics more than anything, but it is good to be clear.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-31-2017, 08:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 21
Niced 336 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
For example, from the 2108 rules:
Steve's dedication to the sport is unparalleled - he's already put together a draft for the RC for the 90 years in the future edition!

Are step putts still an issue or does Ulli's zimmerframe stop them anyway?

Old 10-31-2017, 11:09 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.8
Courses Played: 326
Niced 1,255 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
Steve's dedication to the sport is unparalleled - he's already put together a draft for the RC for the 90 years in the future edition!

Are step putts still an issue or does Ulli's zimmerframe stop them anyway?

By then, the target will be so small that you'll need to fold the disc and hammer it in. Putting will be a distant memory.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 98
Niced 230 Times in 124 Posts

I think the step putt is an embarrassment to the game. Kind of like the designated hitter in baseball. It's part of the game but I for one really wish it wasn't. Something that looks that much like a foot fault probably is more than half the time.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 124
Niced 851 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
I think the step putt is an embarrassment to the game. Kind of like the designated hitter in baseball. It's part of the game but I for one really wish it wasn't. Something that looks that much like a foot fault probably is more than half the time.
I agree. Jump putts usually at least look like legal throws. Step putts are just dumb.

I'm going to start doing the reverse step putt. Set up so your rear foot is on your lie, then just before you release, you pick up your front foot and step back onto the rear foot.