Old 07-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Par Member

Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

Afternoon,

Methinks my practice session today is more of just the same form/timing issues. I will say the majority of the my session today was just concentrating on planting closed, and working to shift my weight and get off my back foot. Comments/feedback/critiques are always welcome.

As an aside, I reached out to a local pro in Kansas City yesterday. He has been gracious enough to entertain the idea of a few 1on1 practice sessions. Maybe him correcting me on the spot might help something click.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2018, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,118 Times in 1,382 Posts

The good news is your upper arm angle looks way better now.

So right now you are shifting "in front" still, and also going "over the top" of the brace. You basically don't have any brace to anchor yourself on, and don't have any continued leverage through the throw. That's why your throwing arm barely has to follow through, and why your torso continually leaks forward and you step through as you are throwing.

From side views your rear femur rotates in place then steps through, rather than driving forward under your rear hip which would indicate a leveraged weight shift. As well from the rear view, if you draw a line up your plant leg, all of your body rotates to the left/around/in front of the plant and there is no brace and counterweight.

The one leg drill, which SW put in post 9, will prevent you from being able to push yourself "over the top" of the brace leg. The crush the can drills on his youtube channel also illustrate and expose that problem, but I think the one leg drill is a great way to prevent yourself from yanking your torso forward.

The door frame drill and a variety of the videos...too many to list, will help with the shift from behind. Unfortunately it's such a strange concept that until it clicks all the videos may seem like they are different but really it's just different ways to try to get the same concept to make sense. More in here as well https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=127477
Old 07-19-2018, 12:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,184 Times in 1,366 Posts

Agree with SP, you aren't getting off your rear foot before you plant, so you are trying to push too late through the swing instead of initiated ground up and done with the rear foot before the swing starts.

I wouldn't start the throw with feet together like you are doing. You could either start open stance, like I show in Crush the Can like Lizotte and plant closed. Or you could start feet slightly wider than shoulder and plant slightly wider. Or you could start really wide stance and plant into narrower stance. You should end up in about in the same stance doing any and all of those. Or you could start on One Leg and work slightly backward like One Leg Drill. Or you could start from the Hershyzer with front foot crossed behind rear foot and butt leading forward.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Par Member

Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

You guys are awesome. Thank you for the encouragement / seeing some positives, that is a big motivator!

Hopefully you all are not getting tired of posting some of the same advice/videos/drills for me, because hearing it multiple times and being said in different ways is very helpful. I'll keep working and report back soon!

Jeremiah
Old 07-19-2018, 02:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet57 View Post

Hopefully you all are not getting tired of posting some of the same advice/videos/drills for me, because hearing it multiple times and being said in different ways is very helpful. I'll keep working and report back soon!
That's how it goes, you can watch a video and have something click, then a few months later watch it again and a whole different part makes sense. The conceptual breakthroughs are very important, because if your head doesn't know what you are doing your body won't follow. Unless you just get lucky and feel a couple good shots and can replicate them...if that happens then keep doing it, film it, and figure out why it's better afterwards.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:38 PM
Par Member

Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

Grrrrr...I don't think I've ever wanted to get something so badly! How is this for bracing? Better, worse, bout the same?

Old 07-20-2018, 05:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Better, but kind of inbetween/halfway there.

You are now instead of going around/left/in front of the brace leg, you are kind of trying to go through it and getting jammed up. So you're more backwards and such, but you're not initially getting set up "from behind" so that you have a counterweight to pivot. Instead you are just going through the brace, and since you can't do that, you're kind of getting stuck/blocked.

I think you're kind of halfway pushing the upper body and turning into the throw a little early. Has to happen "underneath" you, shifting your lower spine/pelvis onto the plant leg and having the brace clear your hips so there is space to throw through.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,184 Times in 1,366 Posts

Agree with SP, your weight is still on the rear foot/pushing too late through the brace instead of before brace. You are crouching too much in x-step, need to get more upright on rear leg so you can squat into rear leg accelerate off foot and fall into the plant, just like a pitcher. You are rising into the plant.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:05 PM

Niced 10 Times in 3 Posts

Have you noticed an increase in distance? Accuracy? Scores?

Old 07-23-2018, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 505 Times in 299 Posts

yah...looking at that form I'd be shocked if you're not well past 300ft now. If you're still at 300, then there is some other areas at play, like brute arm speed problems or perhaps not enough spin on the disc, nose up issues, etc, etc. Plus post some real speed videos of your form, easier to spot speed problems, smoothness issues, etc.