Old 01-16-2019, 08:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,185 Times in 1,367 Posts

SS - Stance is too narrow and you shift your body/weight back too far or too close to the rear leg. Need to stay more centered in backswing and stride a few inches forward. Looks like you lock out your rear knee in the backswing. In my standstill I stride more like Griffey Jr, my body/weight stays more forward away from the rear leg and instead of shifting back I turn back more while moving forward.

x-step - Your rear foot is stepping too far forward behind and end up getting stuck back or tipped back and flat footed. Your rear knee is behind your ankle way too long so it's not leveraged forward or able to leverage you and your hip forward. You also extend your rear knee into the plant instead extending of your foot with the knee flexing(Swivel Chair). Your front foot is striding almost 180 degrees pointed away from target and then you turn it open into the plant. Need to keep your front foot/leg striding more sideways and into the plant.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2019, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,124 Times in 1,387 Posts

I've had some of these X-step issues, and will be really focusing on it when I have good playing conditions again.

Definitely sort out the strides so you can be in balance. Simply put I think you need to do this:
-first step is sideways with right foot, and then pop a bit "up" from this stride
-now you should be rising up to land on the left leg behind X-step...since you popped up from the right leg you should be able to land on a more extended left leg that is more underneath your body
-you should hopefully have moved forward/targetward so you are still inside your left leg by the time you weight this foot
-now you can start the backswing in leverage on the rear leg

As well, make sure you stride in line and slightly diagonal to your intended release point. For example if you want to throw "straight" down a teepad, start in the back middle and stride to the front left. Stride very in line down this momentum line. Since you will be striding closed relative to your intended release line, don't think at all about trying to close your front leg. I have done that forever too, turning that front leg closed during the stride. Instead just keep it neutral and land neutral...it will "look" closed relative to your release line. Besides...if you do things right then they should look right after. Turning the front leg inward during the X-step is a bandaid to try to fix not being closed enough, that doesn't actually fix the problem. Again I've been doing that for a long time too.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:41 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 21 Times in 11 Posts

Ok ill work on that in the field tomorrow. I see what you are talking about with the standstill. I go back, turn, and then fall where you fall and turn at the same time. Took a quick video where i see a little improvement with this. Gonna hammer it in tomorrow. Pleased with my pull through so far though. Looks to be more on plane than a month ago

And sorry i post a million vids. If its ever too much i can just do like one a week where i try and work through stuff on my own. I always have liked the immediate feedback though
Old 01-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I've had some of these X-step issues, and will be really focusing on it when I have good playing conditions again.

Definitely sort out the strides so you can be in balance. Simply put I think you need to do this:
-first step is sideways with right foot, and then pop a bit "up" from this stride
-now you should be rising up to land on the left leg behind X-step...since you popped up from the right leg you should be able to land on a more extended left leg that is more underneath your body
-you should hopefully have moved forward/targetward so you are still inside your left leg by the time you weight this foot
-now you can start the backswing in leverage on the rear leg

As well, make sure you stride in line and slightly diagonal to your intended release point. For example if you want to throw "straight" down a teepad, start in the back middle and stride to the front left. Stride very in line down this momentum line. Since you will be striding closed relative to your intended release line, don't think at all about trying to close your front leg. I have done that forever too, turning that front leg closed during the stride. Instead just keep it neutral and land neutral...it will "look" closed relative to your release line. Besides...if you do things right then they should look right after. Turning the front leg inward during the X-step is a bandaid to try to fix not being closed enough, that doesn't actually fix the problem. Again I've been doing that for a long time too.
Good stuff. Thanks for the help. I think the last paragraph is a big reason why i always drifted left in my run up. i always read to do that but i made the mistake of just drifting my run up that way instead of keeping neutral until the end and then stride a little left to get that leverage (if that makes sense)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemiss5931 View Post
Good stuff. Thanks for the help. I think the last paragraph is a big reason why i always drifted left in my run up. i always read to do that but i made the mistake of just drifting my run up that way instead of keeping neutral until the end and then stride a little left to get that leverage (if that makes sense)
Also I found that from not popping "up" to my left leg on the behind step I would be balanced incorrectly on the left leg...and that would also cause me to sway to the left when going to the plant.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Also conceptually, I think you're trying to do a "fake X-factor" thing by firing your hips and getting separation before the torso and shoulders follow. Try to keep everything together and centered, land with the hips closed and trust that after catching your weight your hips will clear. Try to keep your torso together with your hips...it will feel together but on video it will look like your hips fired first but in an elastic band way rather than "hips then shoulder" way.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:28 PM
Eagle Member

Ok did some drill and decided to film a few throws before I play tomorrow. Things I see - Slight improvement in run up. Not as horsestanced and flat footed, but more work to do here. Not fully bracing so my front knee is a little too over my ankle. Really gonna focus on leading with butt more and trying to commit to brace and get hips/body out of the way of my throw. Ive been watching a lot of pros and i see the positions i need to get in, it is just getting the feeling for how to get to those and how to put it all together at once. So much to think about

Old 01-17-2019, 06:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,185 Times in 1,367 Posts

I liked what you were doing with the hammer, but then you changed everything with the disc and jerk it back and forth through the transition like it weighs nothing. Should be smooth through the transition like a pendulum and like pulling the whole door frame through the shoulder and arm/disc lagging back, not bending the elbow.

You never looked or addressed to the target, you got your head down and disc static in the middle of your chest from the start. Where are you going? Start forward addressed/aimed to the target, and/or swing forward before the backswing.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:06 PM
Eagle Member

I think that i get so focused on my footwork and stuff that i just look down and think. I used to forward pump which i think im going to start back doing that to help with rhythym. Also gonna start every shot buy looking at the target. i think im trying to be too fast with my arm and it gets me out of whack. Need to stay balanced and lag the disc like i do with a hammer

Old 01-17-2019, 07:20 PM
* Ace Member *

I would still like to see the elephant walk with the hammer, especially walking toward the camera. I just want to see exactly when you are planting and pumping relative to your forward swing and backswing, and this drill hides nothing.

As well when you are swinging the hammer make sure you don't just feel the weight of the hammer...but your entire arm connected to the hammer. That way you don't end up swinging a weightless disc, but instead a weighted arm that has a disc so it doesn't feel completely different to when you have a hammer.