#31  
Old 01-16-2019, 10:45 AM
NegaSnapples's Avatar
NegaSnapples NegaSnapples is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Pittsburgh
Years Playing: 5.8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 207
Niced 155 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
You guys have a lot of faith in local government if you think more DG players means more DG use of public land. In the short term it almost certainly means more crowded courses. Long term, good luck.
Quote:
Much respect for your efforts, but I already have a job.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 AM
GMcAtee GMcAtee is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 461
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 272
Niced 108 Times in 50 Posts
Default

I like the way it was 5 years ago better than now. Several new courses going into the ground with poor design that are a complete waste. I've seen older popular courses upgraded with gimmicks and triple mandos, an over-saturation of discs and tournaments, tournament entry fees doubled, and clubs dying.

The "grow the sport" people rarely are seen doing course maintenance.

Let's start saying "smart disc golf growth".

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Geer_Boggles Geer_Boggles is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southern Maine, US
Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 73
Niced 17 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
I like the way it was 5 years ago better than now. Several new courses going into the ground with poor design that are a complete waste. I've seen older popular courses upgraded with gimmicks and triple mandos, an over-saturation of discs and tournaments, tournament entry fees doubled, and clubs dying.

The "grow the sport" people rarely are seen doing course maintenance.

Let's start saying "smart disc golf growth".
That may be the case in some states but if that's true, then do something about it. Most course owners are wicked open to suggestions from the players.

I also feel this is a strong point in the Maine Disc Golf community. Courses are privately owned and pay to play but most courses are a thing of beauty. Great course designs all around me 20+ top notch courses within an hour of me. I feel like player feedback has a LOT to do with this as well. Two heads are better than one applies to pretty much everything including disc golf.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-16-2019, 12:17 PM
Soaruman Soaruman is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 13
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

For me personally, it's really as simple as this: I think DG is fun and I enjoy sharing the fun with others.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-16-2019, 12:43 PM
JuanA's Avatar
JuanA JuanA is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 166
Niced 126 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Grow the Sport benefits me because I'm heading to the course in 15 minutes for lunch.

The course that didn't exist when I first started playing.

I'm bringing some new discs to try out too.

Discs that didn't exist when I first started playing.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 44.8
Courses Played: 326
Posts: 4,533
Niced 1,255 Times in 640 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_Boggles View Post
... Most course owners are wicked open to suggestions from the players. ...
That may be the source of the problems he described.

Player suggestions are fine when they are vetted by an interested and knowledgeable owner - private or public. No so much when an uncaring or clueless parks department lets anyone and everyone do whatever they want to the course.

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:45 PM
GMcAtee GMcAtee is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 461
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 272
Niced 108 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_Boggles View Post
That may be the case in some states but if that's true, then do something about it. Most course owners are wicked open to suggestions from the players.

I also feel this is a strong point in the Maine Disc Golf community. Courses are privately owned and pay to play but most courses are a thing of beauty. Great course designs all around me 20+ top notch courses within an hour of me. I feel like player feedback has a LOT to do with this as well. Two heads are better than one applies to pretty much everything including disc golf.
It depends on the region if the community is open to feedback. I've previously lived in a region where feedback was welcomed (and I loved the feedback for what I was working on). The region I live now, I've noticed feedback is not welcome at all.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-16-2019, 03:20 PM
AliceSprings AliceSprings is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Niced 7 Times in 1 Post
Default

As a woman playing disc golf, “grow the sport” benefits me a ton. If the sport grows to include more woman, I have more people to compete with. That is way more fun and will help me get better.

Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-16-2019, 03:42 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is offline
I Don't Actually Disc Golf
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 7,874
Niced 1,530 Times in 1,189 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
You guys have a lot of faith in local government if you think more DG players means more DG use of public land. In the short term it almost certainly means more crowded courses. Long term, good luck.
You're right... but I'd rather have a crowded course to play on than not have a course at all.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
 

  #40  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:15 PM
juju's Avatar
juju juju is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 1,538
Niced 39 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Would rather see the sport regress back to what it once was during it's best era (late 90's-early 00's).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to "Grow the Sport" threads? turbosteve General Disc Golf Chat 100 12-04-2017 08:05 PM
Post "growing the sport" disc golf SonicGuy General Disc Golf Chat 71 06-17-2016 12:22 AM
Talk about "growing the sport" !! CaptainAnhyzer General Disc Golf Chat 33 09-02-2014 12:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.