Old 08-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 161
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,967 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowRoll View Post
Isn't it going against everything taught in the discing down thread to tell people to use a disc that is faster than they need to execute a shot? Guy throwing Boss, when Teebird would do, or Teebird when Roc would do seems strangely similar to throwing an Excal or Firebird when a Drone would do. How exactly does this differ? Working hard today, I'll check in more as able.
Extremely overstable discs are almost utility discs by default since the majority of their usefulness lies in fighting headwinds. Drivers handle wind better than mids so in other words this is the exception of the discing down rule, unless you play in 20+ mph winds all the time. Plus, it's mold minimalism friendly.

Cosign what Toothy and Garu said.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 134
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will say that I have tried powering down stable to overstable drivers. In fact, if I need a huge fade, I go to my drivers. I go to my drone for the predictable fade for shots under 250. My experience with powering down drivers has been filled with underthrows, overthrows, bad skips, overfade, underfade, etc. It has also produced some great shots, but those have not been as common. In fact, just today I pulled out a Trident instead of the Drone and parked a hole.

I think that people like the Drone the same way as the Rhyno. They are both like bricks with little glide, so how much power you put into them is how far they go. To me, throwing drivers like my Striker for hyzer shots under 200 has been too touchy and I can't find the power to accurately get it under the basket.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 82
Niced 110 Times in 71 Posts

So a sad day happend last week, lost my FLX drone. Went to the store all they had were pro-d, this is definately not the same disc!! That being said it has forced me to use an overstable driver, and I can honestly say I hate powering down a driver. So inconsistent in my distances, will definately save one slot in my bag of a flx drone, even if it is only for one or two shots. I need my flx drone like a junkie needs smack.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 23
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw80550 View Post
So a sad day happend last week, lost my FLX drone. Went to the store all they had were pro-d, this is definately not the same disc!! That being said it has forced me to use an overstable driver, and I can honestly say I hate powering down a driver. So inconsistent in my distances, will definately save one slot in my bag of a flx drone, even if it is only for one or two shots. I need my flx drone like a junkie needs smack.
I had a similar experience the first few times I went out without my Demon. I have had mixed results with powering down the drivers so far, but most of it stems from form issues. I keep losing the snap on my powered down throws unless I remind myself every time. I'll probably need to watch the video from the hit back again for a refresher.