Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah, different plastics and weight have to be learned, to an extent. I carry a GL Core and an Opto Core and, while its not like learning an entirely different disc, I do have to realise that the GL is going to be a little flippier. Its just a slight adjustment.

Im also going to dabble that a little between my 161 GL River I have and the 171 GL River I have on the way. Its not entirely a different disc but I will have to adjust to how it will fly differently.

Either of those discs, I could carry just 1 but since I want a spare, I figured I might as well take the slight difference in flight also so I can get use out of it and it gets a little broken in in the mean time.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 115
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm more of the minimal mold/similar weight/different plastic mindset. As of today, I've got 5 1/2 molds in my bag. Wizards for putters, all base plastic, all 173-175, one well seasoned Warrior for understable mid duties, two or three Z Buzzz's, Eagle X in DX, Champ, and Star, Eagle L in DX, all in the 170-175 range, and two Champ Firebirds (one flatter, and one domier) for utility shots, both 175. This approach seems to be working for me, my game seems to have gotten better.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 156
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic

I agree plastics are like totally different discs but I think it has more to do with how star takes longer to break in and seems more stable and champ moreso. I'm thinking same plastics for each mold in the same weights. I think the problem is often needing that utility or specialty shot. That's when the bag starts to fatten up.
I'm curious do minimalists just make sure they go out on the course with less than 10 discs and swap these out based on wind weather and course type or do they throw the same discs primarily. I tend to swap out and this causes problems w consistency.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
I'm curious do minimalists just make sure they go out on the course with less than 10 discs and swap these out based on wind weather and course type or do they throw the same discs primarily. I tend to swap out and this causes problems w consistency.
Most of us use the same discs all the time, though if you play different courses you probably need a few more than 10.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 122
Niced 436 Times in 276 Posts

My full bag is 11 discs, 10 without my water hole disc. That's a complete and totally not disced down bag, a bag where I have all my bases covered + a few backups. I've won league games using just a Wiz / Buzz / Stalker combo, but granted it wasn't terribly windy and we played regular tees so there were only a handful of holes where faster discs would of benefited me.

I'm really surprised more people don't experiment with a variety of plastics and weights within the same mold. It's an easy way to get different flight characteristics out of discs that feel nearly identical. Like I carry a heavy and a light buzz, one hyzers better and the other can do a turnover. Light putter for better carry, heavy putter for consistent approaches etc.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 201
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm in. That is the philosophy I have accidentally stumbled across. Other ways would work, but I like the heavier/ different plastic/ same feel theory so far.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 156
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic

I've noticed a true benefit with less grips as Ive narrowed down molds....right now I am thinking its time to consider either one type of plastic with various weights or various plastics same weights or same weights same plastic various stages of wear.
I will always carry a few utility discs though
Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 201
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I hear you. I have a Champ Panther for my once a month 200' thumber approach. But it works well.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I'm really surprised more people don't experiment with a variety of plastics and weights within the same mold. It's an easy way to get different flight characteristics out of discs that feel nearly identical. Like I carry a heavy and a light buzz, one hyzers better and the other can do a turnover. Light putter for better carry, heavy putter for consistent approaches etc.
I've found that different weights affect the timing of my snap, the feel of resistance through my pull, and ultimately my consistency. I also don't like how lighter weights are more nose angle sensitive and are more affected by the wind. Combine those two and it's even worse.

I also must say that different people have the capacity to learn and perform differently based on talent level and amount/quality of practice. I've limited and minimalized in the way I have because I've found it to be best for me. When I used to play 15-20 practice rounds a week I could throw a whole bag full of different molds, add new discs all the time, and play decent. However, when I couldn't spend that extreme amount of time practicing I felt like I didn't really know any of my discs. This is when I started getting into minimalism and maximizing my skills with much fewer discs. This allowed me to remain consistent and spend my time practicing golf rather than a bunch of new and different discs.

You'll always find guys that are exceptions to all these rules due to natural ability, so if you're playing great and improving doing things differently, keep it up by all means. If you're stuck and trying to improve, these may be ideas to consider.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 161
Niced 1,967 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I'm with you on this as well. Carrying all max weight everything is stupid I think, and carrying all same weight is borderline dumb.

There is not much more difference b/w a seasoned Champ Eagle and a seasoned Star Eagle then there is b/w any 2 Star or Champ Eagles, thanks to dome, PLH, starlite, gummy vs stiff, etc. All the drivers I BH are Eagles (and an EL) and if I restricted to just one plastic it would be a nightmare. If I threw the DX Eagles only I'd need a new overstable Eagle every 2 weeks, if all Champ it would take forever to beat one in for understable. And if I cycled them all I'd need a damn log to keep track of it all.