Old 04-10-2013, 09:18 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Substantial weight loss and Disc Golf...

So....I've been playing for 6 years off and on with job/family responsibilities. Aim an AM player but I've known for some time that if I were to lose weight I could reallyimprove my game. I currently weigh 275 at 6'0. I have broad shoulders and a fairly large fra,e so I don't look quite as overweight as I am. I'll be joining the Y this week and will begin making some major changes in life in general. I love practicing in the field and, even w my weight difficulties, have good form and I feel like my technique is getting solid ...
...my question is this: who has lost a substantial amount of weight (60+) and, in detail, how did it improve your game...for example, putting percentages, general back/knee strength, core balance, stamina, driving distance, etc. no info is too much and I look forward to your testimonial
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 AM

Courses Played: 55
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kudos to you in taking the first step to healthier living.

I too am trying to lose weight to improve my game. I weighed 250 october of last year and now weigh 230. Busted it out at the YMCA like you. Still working on lossing the 60+

Really worked my core for better balance, used very light weights on muscles i know i would use in my game, and have done alot of cardio to improve endurance.

All this together has improve my disc golf game. I feel more crisp, drives are longer with less effort, and even my focus ( especially on my putts) have greatly improved.

Keep improving your Mind and body!!!!! Your disc golf game will thank you!!!!

-Joji
Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 28
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I've recently lost 30 lbs and my game has improved a lot! More stamina, faster arm speed, a whole bunch of positives. Work hard! I don't know you, but I've got your back in the fight against yourself!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good stuff...I feel like once I drop that first 25-30 pounds I'll be able to get my upper body around a lot quicker and have more fluidity in my movements
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 12 Times in 6 Posts

I haven't lost that much weight. ~15lbs so far going from close to 190 to 175 But I have found that the exercises that translate best to disc golf are core/balance focused. Like Yoga.

The twisting of the body in DG puts a lot of stress on your joints which is intensified if you don't have good balance and coordination. It also helps you relieve the built up stress put on your joints and muscles from your other workouts.

I'm not sure if they offer classes for it at the Y or what but it's worth looking into...just my $0.02
Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good luck on your endeavor. I'll add that a complete lifestyle change is needed to lose and keep off that weight. Changing what you eat and how much conprises 60-75% of what you weigh. The rest is exercise. Sleep is also really important. I have lost 40-50lbs over a period over approximately 2 years. It is much better to lose the weight slowly and in a controlled fashion rather than in spurts.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 17 Times in 12 Posts

Awhile back I lost close to 60 pounds. Disc golf may not have been a major contributor to losing, better diet and various aerobic exercises probably had the biggest impact. But what disc golf has done is give me an enjoyable outlet to maintain the weight loss. My improved play in all aspects of the game keeps me motivated to stay healthier.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoyce View Post
I haven't lost that much weight. ~15lbs so far going from close to 190 to 175 But I have found that the exercises that translate best to disc golf are core/balance focused. Like Yoga.

The twisting of the body in DG puts a lot of stress on your joints which is intensified if you don't have good balance and coordination. It also helps you relieve the built up stress put on your joints and muscles from your other workouts.

I'm not sure if they offer classes for it at the Y or what but it's worth looking into...just my $0.02

They do!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 313
Niced 354 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psicko View Post
It is much better to lose the weight slowly and in a controlled fashion rather than in spurts.

Agreed!

I've "dieted" dozens of times in my life, have lost 45, 60, even 140 pounds once, but never completely changed my lifestyle, so it creeps back up. I'm hoping disc golf and getting reasonable about food intake & healthy choices will help. Lost over 30lbs the first year, so my improvement may be due to weight loss AND noob skillz development.

I'd say a good goal might be to drop 10% of your weight in a year, and repeat until you've reached your optimum. At that rate, I might be considered at a "healthy" weight by, let's see...2029?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 12 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discgoesleft View Post
They do!
Seriously man do it. I've lost my weight and gotten into shape doing p90x. When I first started I thought the yoga was stupid and weird. And I thought it would be easy...it's not. It's hard, but man it works. It helps so much with all other exercises and you really feel good and loose when you're done.

Before I started working out again I used to wake up stiff and sore from mowing the lawn or playing a ton of disc golf. Since I've been working out consistently for about the last 4 months and doing Yoga once a week in that time I'm not sore or stiff nearly as often. Sure I might sleep wrong and wake up stiff but it normally goes away. And lower back pain. Gone! haven't had that forever. I redid my driveway's retaining wall Saturday and Sunday. we're talking over 4 hours of lifting heavy block and shoveling dirt. I was not sore at all. I'm sure this was from a combination of working out, being in better shape, and yoga. But I think the yoga plays a large part.