Old 01-13-2022, 05:36 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 27.4
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6,437 Times in 2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatflip View Post
I think the big draw of having the am tourneys on the same weekend is that ams get to go watch the pro cards and go to the pro fly marts after their rounds. You typically get smaller am fields when they are on different weekends. Maybe it's not such a big deal now that no one is having a hard time filling am A-tiers these days.
The whole PDGA model was based on Ams being spectators (remember, we were faking it 'til we made it) and the flipside of that was the open players and am players were at the same parks playing the same courses hanging out in the same parking lots between rounds, the same flymarts, the same players parties...disc golfers got used to having A LOT of access to the Ken Climo's and Barry Schultz' of the world.

Now that whole model is out the window; it doesn't work anymore. Clubs that have literally spent decades planning their whole existence around "if we do this and that and then somebody finds a sponsor maybe Paul McBeth will come to our A Tier" have to pivot; Paul McBeth is never coming to your A Tier. We literally no longer have any responsibility to prop up pro disc golf. That is DGPT's problem now.

Cutting lose Am's from events like DDO and DGLO is just going to be a step toward that. Any event trying to cling to that old "one size fits all/Open and Am's all in one place" model is going to have to come to grips with that.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2022, 05:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 2,092 Times in 1,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
The whole PDGA model was based on Ams being spectators (remember, we were faking it 'til we made it) and the flipside of that was the open players and am players were at the same parks playing the same courses hanging out in the same parking lots between rounds, the same flymarts, the same players parties...disc golfers got used to having A LOT of access to the Ken Climo's and Barry Schultz' of the world.

Now that whole model is out the window; it doesn't work anymore. Clubs that have literally spent decades planning their whole existence around "if we do this and that and then somebody finds a sponsor maybe Paul McBeth will come to our A Tier" have to pivot; Paul McBeth is never coming to your A Tier. We literally no longer have any responsibility to prop up pro disc golf. That is DGPT's problem now.

Cutting lose Am's from events like DDO and DGLO is just going to be a step toward that. Any event trying to cling to that old "one size fits all/Open and Am's all in one place" model is going to have to come to grips with that.
Going to need the PDGA to get on board with that.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 266
Niced 8,313 Times in 2,853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Going to need the PDGA to get on board with that.
Seems like they are. DGPT, separate worlds. We are never going to separate local pro/am, but I'm not sure that is what 3P was driving at.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:33 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 743 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmay5 View Post
Which surprises me to hear that several of these Pros switching sponsors are walking out on the last year, or more, of their previous deals.

Maybe those previous deals were just done by a handshake and not too enforceable?

Except by their conscience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2022, 06:45 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 107
Niced 256 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
That's not really what I was unclear on.

In the other cases, the companies are different. Latitude 64 and Dynamic Discs are horribly intertwined in a complicated business partnership, but at the end of the day Latitude 64 is a company run by David Berglund and Dynamic Discs is a company owned by Jeremy Rusco. They are different companies.

MVP, Axiom and Streamline to my knowledge are all owned by the same people. It's more like brands of one company than different companies. I'm not 100% sure of that so that's what I can't state for fact; that's the part I'm unclear on.

Player is sponsored by X brand who also molds Y brand so player can throw Y brand discs is a pretty long-standing standard practice in disc golf.
I see.

In this case, there is no difference between Axiom, MVP, and Streamline. There is Team MVP, and that team can throw all three brands. There is no Team Axiom or Team Streamline, say, as there is Team DD, Team Lat64, and team Westside.

We are free to throw whatever we want from the three lineups.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:45 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 560 Times in 275 Posts

Nikko posted this to his IG today. I spy a gateway bag 👀
Old 01-13-2022, 07:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 2,092 Times in 1,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
If you're going to talk about stuff I haven't researched, please do the work for me.

Thx
You are slipping.

This is a very Trumpian response...the evidence is out there, you just have to go prove my point for me.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:12 PM
Par Member

Niced 179 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm0514 View Post
Nikko posted this to his IG today. I spy a gateway bag 👀

Was this in the first, second, or third thirty of the attempt?

Niced: (1)
Old 01-13-2022, 07:22 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Seems like they are. DGPT, separate worlds. We are never going to separate local pro/am, but I'm not sure that is what 3P was driving at.
We went around and around about that in another thread and I'm not sure we ever got to the point, but "local pro" shouldn't exist at this point. It's really just the top tier of Amateur play, but you play for cash so it's called pro. That is always going to be part of local scenes; we have a lot of history of those guys playing for cash and that is not going to change.

Niced: (1)

Old 01-13-2022, 07:30 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisugawa View Post
I see.

In this case, there is no difference between Axiom, MVP, and Streamline. There is Team MVP, and that team can throw all three brands. There is no Team Axiom or Team Streamline, say, as there is Team DD, Team Lat64, and team Westside.

We are free to throw whatever we want from the three lineups.
Cool, thanks. It makes the MVP situation somewhat unique with how things are branded, but I'm sure they know more about marketing than I do so "unique" is all I have. It's a lot more straightforward than say Discraft/DGA, which is a partnership like Innova/Discmania was. We all saw how Innova/Discmania turned out, but Innova/Millennium and Discraft/DGA are long-standing partnerships that still seem to be working.

Basically I have no point.