Old 10-02-2017, 06:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 217 Times in 109 Posts

Maybe Im wrong but I thought it was stated that once the pdga funds were offered up it didnt leave enough turn around time to make a live broadcast happen.

Aka wed rather stick to the original plan instead of trying to make too much happen at the last minute.

I understand the argument that the largest events should have live coverage, but I cant say that in the last 3+ years Ive watched a single live dg broadcast. That was different when I had a job where I could post up and watch, but for now Im ok waiting a day or two for edited coverage.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2017, 08:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,404 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
Maybe Im wrong but I thought it was stated that once the pdga funds were offered up it didnt leave enough turn around time to make a live broadcast happen.

Aka wed rather stick to the original plan instead of trying to make too much happen at the last minute.

I understand the argument that the largest events should have live coverage, but I cant say that in the last 3+ years Ive watched a single live dg broadcast. That was different when I had a job where I could post up and watch, but for now Im ok waiting a day or two for edited coverage.
But that would be far too logical, and give the internet nothing to gripe about, so it can't possibly be true...
Old 10-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 83
Niced 159 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnow View Post
#OneDivisionOneChampion
Actually the DGWT's motto is "We have a lot of divisions at most of our tournaments because we could not fill them otherwise, but only MPO is deserving of a championship."

Niced: (1)
Old 10-02-2017, 09:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post

That's only relevant if your assumption is that the videographer doesn't work independently. That is, it can't happen cause Jussi doesn't have time, not that a company doesn't have time. That may still have been an issue for the companies. It also raises as many questions as it answers.

1) as a promotor of an event series, what's your job? Shouldn't the question of coverage have high priority? Should you have possibly explored videography with the PDGA since it had been done before?

2) good enough, there wasn't time. Now it's gone South and it's over. What happened this year? You got blow back, you think yubtube cuts are fine, but the PDGA offered last year, did you follow up or just decide it wasn't necessary? "Those online guys will have forgotten what happened last year, and by this year they'll be thinking... That I blew it again?"

3) so, what is your competition doing and how's that going?

4) lets assume that Jussi is where he wants to be, but as i wrote earlier, by any measure I can think of, DGPT is getting the meat of the attention. I'd think at the very least he'd be looking at what Steve's doing.

5) given that Jussi has the backing and power of In nova behind him, I'd think he'd be making a bigger splash. Especially given the gift of the majors. If he were my marketing guy we'd be discussing his fit for the job.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:21 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is anyone doing live scoring for Monday qualifying?
Old 10-02-2017, 11:24 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedoen4 View Post
Is anyone doing live scoring for Monday qualifying?
I see zero current info about Monday Qualifying on DGWT website, nothing on Disc Golf Metrix website, and nothing new from DGWT social media about it atm. Only regular updates coming from Tina Stanaitis' instagram, looks like Eric Oakley is -7 through the front 9, and should be well into the back 9 by now but no updates on that in a bit.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,054 Times in 487 Posts

Oh... it is my favorite subject (sarcasm)... why doesn't USDGC have live coverage.
Answer: They don't want it, it isn't in their plan. If you don't like it reach out to Jussi & the PDGA.

Now my personal opinions...
DGWT should have no say in whether there is live coverage or not. It should be a PDGA issue if they are willing to pay for it, it is a PDGA major. (Not relevant this year, we had no serious talks with the PDGA or DGWT on covering USDGC) If anyone has issues with that, then the PDGA should just pull the M status away from them. I don't think it would hurt the event if they were not a major.

Understandably the DGWT doesn't want any media they are not in complete control of. Live is an unpredictable beast at times. It is getting better, but nowhere near perfect.

And please stop with the DGWT/DGPT competition. It isn't a competition when they are attempting different things. The DGPT is running a cohesive US tour to help support a group of pros and provide regular entertainment for the casual fan. That isn't what DGWT is doing. TBH I am not sure of Jussi's large scale goal, but it isn't what DGPT is doing.

And to head off the normal questions we get...
1. No we won't charge for it. Not enough people are going to pay for something half the quality they can get the next day.
2. No we won't GoFundMe it. We are not going to ask for handouts like some mid-level broke disc golfer asking for money to go to Worlds.

Of course we would love to cover it and be there. But I am sure there will be a few FB Live streams throughout the week. And if I get the chance, look for a possible "talking head" style show from SmashBoxx on the final day of competition. A place where we can get together and talk about the event while it unfolds. We will probably have the instagram clips and maybe the live feeds that people provide. Possible call-ins. Whatever we can think of on the fly.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-02-2017, 12:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Oh... it is my favorite subject (sarcasm)... why doesn't USDGC have live coverage.
Answer: They don't want it, it isn't in their plan. If you don't like it reach out to Jussi & the PDGA.

Now my personal opinions...
DGWT should have no say in whether there is live coverage or not. It should be a PDGA issue if they are willing to pay for it, it is a PDGA major. (Not relevant this year, we had no serious talks with the PDGA or DGWT on covering USDGC) If anyone has issues with that, then the PDGA should just pull the M status away from them. I don't think it would hurt the event if they were not a major.

Understandably the DGWT doesn't want any media they are not in complete control of. Live is an unpredictable beast at times. It is getting better, but nowhere near perfect.

And please stop with the DGWT/DGPT competition. It isn't a competition when they are attempting different things. The DGPT is running a cohesive US tour to help support a group of pros and provide regular entertainment for the casual fan. That isn't what DGWT is doing. TBH I am not sure of Jussi's large scale goal, but it isn't what DGPT is doing.

And to head off the normal questions we get...
1. No we won't charge for it. Not enough people are going to pay for something half the quality they can get the next day.
2. No we won't GoFundMe it. We are not going to ask for handouts like some mid-level broke disc golfer asking for money to go to Worlds.

Of course we would love to cover it and be there. But I am sure there will be a few FB Live streams throughout the week. And if I get the chance, look for a possible "talking head" style show from SmashBoxx on the final day of competition. A place where we can get together and talk about the event while it unfolds. We will probably have the instagram clips and maybe the live feeds that people provide. Possible call-ins. Whatever we can think of on the fly.
In a few senses, ones that matter, they are doing the same thing. Both are a series, with recognition of the series winner. Both have a promotion element. My comments speak only to the promotion side. There, DGWT is losing imo. Heck they're losing out to some A tiers in terms of coverage and promotion in my view.

I agree with you that the PDGA should not allow "them" to determine live coverage. That's a tough sell. The gig is Innova's. The PDGA has nominal control, and I've argued they should have full say, but that's easily said.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 156
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 154 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhadella View Post
I'm a 910-920 player and I seem to always score in the low to mid 80s (82-86). 5 is tough to par and then the stretch of 9-13 is really tough for me (lefty). And then the typical leak of strokes around the rest of the holes.
Another year, another 80s score. Shot a 83 Saturday morning is some pretty heavy (for Charlotte) winds. Wind died down in afternoon for our doubles round. It's always a tricky course as I start a little tight so I end up just wanting to get pars early on but 1-4 is a good chunk of the birdie opportunities for me (as a INT player). And then you find yourself +1/+2 staring down the barrel of #5. I'm glad to see going back to prior versions of 9, it's a neat hole. Now that drop zone, it's brutal. The new verison of 13 is interesting, you either have to nut a 375' shot across parking lot or play around those final trees instead of infront of them (but still not easy of a "safe shot"). I was dissapointed that they didn't have a basket in long 18 (probably my favorite hole on course) to play.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 221
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 57 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhadella View Post
Another year, another 80s score. Shot a 83 Saturday morning is some pretty heavy (for Charlotte) winds. Wind died down in afternoon for our doubles round. It's always a tricky course as I start a little tight so I end up just wanting to get pars early on but 1-4 is a good chunk of the birdie opportunities for me (as a INT player). And then you find yourself +1/+2 staring down the barrel of #5. I'm glad to see going back to prior versions of 9, it's a neat hole. Now that drop zone, it's brutal. The new verison of 13 is interesting, you either have to nut a 375' shot across parking lot or play around those final trees instead of infront of them (but still not easy of a "safe shot"). I was dissapointed that they didn't have a basket in long 18 (probably my favorite hole on course) to play.
There was a basket in long 18 on Sunday... in fact, all holes with multiples had 2 basked for practice I assume. And of course we played 18 long!