Old 01-01-2020, 10:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 459 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Does the PDGA rule apply to DG scene lists? I do notice, around here in WV and Pittsburgh, that the "not yet paid up" "registrants" don't show up on the PDGA list even though they show up on disc golf scene.
There’s an option in DGS where the TD can choose to display unpaid registrants or not.

Quote:
Now a bit off topic: I will say, my biggest pet peeve about registering for tournaments is the $1-2 that DG scene gets from me every time I register. I would much rather be able to pay on the day of (impractical because it wouldn't hold my spot) or through some non-Paypal or non-3rd party method.
I feel your pain as a player, but as a TD I hate all of you.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2020, 06:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Does the PDGA rule apply to DG scene lists? I do notice, around here in WV and Pittsburgh, that the "not yet paid up" "registrants" don't show up on the PDGA list even though they show up on disc golf scene.

Now a bit off topic: I will say, my biggest pet peeve about registering for tournaments is the $1-2 that DG scene gets from me every time I register. I would much rather be able to pay on the day of (impractical because it wouldn't hold my spot) or through some non-Paypal or non-3rd party method.
IMO, TDs should always offer an in-person or by-mail option for registration. Obviously, for fast-filling (within minutes/hours) events, that might not be effective, but there's no reason not to make it an option anyway. If I happen to run into a TD (at another tournament, at league, etc) and have the cash on me, I should be able to hand it to him and be "in" for his tournament.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-02-2020, 07:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,411 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
That would likely be hard to work here where 180-player tournaments REGULARLY fill two, sometimes three weeks in advance, often with waitlists. To have players be able to just write their name down would be cra-cra, given the competition for spots. In your area's situation, perhaps the TD is actually putting the money in for those players and then taking the money from them morning of to reimburse himself (in order to be legal). But it seems sketchy as ru originally implied.
The majority of events for which I do it fill and the vast majority of players register through dgscene either way- usually amounts to 5 or fewer players per event. There is literally no way the PDGA can enforce this rule if TD's wish to continue the practice. Unenforceable rules=bad rules.

Problem events should be dealt with on a case by case basis as just that rather than attemting to ban practices that work well for lots of people lots of places.

What irks me the most about this is the attempt to eliminate preferred registration for local club members, sponsors, etc. It is fine for top events to allow preferred registration based on ratings or country of origin but not for smaller events to do so for the people who actually do all the work.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-02-2020, 11:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 109
Niced 227 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
The majority of events for which I do it fill and the vast majority of players register through dgscene either way- usually amounts to 5 or fewer players per event. There is literally no way the PDGA can enforce this rule if TD's wish to continue the practice. Unenforceable rules=bad rules.

Problem events should be dealt with on a case by case basis as just that rather than attemting to ban practices that work well for lots of people lots of places.

What irks me the most about this is the attempt to eliminate preferred registration for local club members, sponsors, etc. It is fine for top events to allow preferred registration based on ratings or country of origin but not for smaller events to do so for the people who actually do all the work.
I see some TDs in our region have "TD spots" just for this kind of use. They may hold 10 pre reg spots to dole out to who they wish. Could be high profile touring pro or club/course workhorse.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 42
Niced 63 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
IMO, TDs should always offer an in-person or by-mail option for registration. Obviously, for fast-filling (within minutes/hours) events, that might not be effective, but there's no reason not to make it an option anyway. If I happen to run into a TD (at another tournament, at league, etc) and have the cash on me, I should be able to hand it to him and be "in" for his tournament.
Speaking as a TD, the dgscene fee is well worth the 1 to 2 dollars. It saves a lot of time and hassle for the TD. They provide a great service and deserve to be compensated. Whether it is paid directly by the player or paid out of payout funds, it needs to be paid.

While as a player it may not appear to be a big deal and look to be easy just to give the cash to the TD when you see him, when you multiply that by 72+ plus players it is a lot for the TD to keep up with. A random few done manually is ok, but I would not want to make it the norm.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW III View Post
Speaking as a TD, the dgscene fee is well worth the 1 to 2 dollars. It saves a lot of time and hassle for the TD. They provide a great service and deserve to be compensated. Whether it is paid directly by the player or paid out of payout funds, it needs to be paid.

While as a player it may not appear to be a big deal and look to be easy just to give the cash to the TD when you see him, when you multiply that by 72+ plus players it is a lot for the TD to keep up with. A random few done manually is ok, but I would not want to make it the norm.
To be clear, I was not saying that 72+ players should be able to pay cash to the TD when they see him. I was only saying that that option should exist alongside DiscGolfScene or whatever online service is used for as long as unclaimed spots remain in the tournament. In other words, tournaments should NEVER be online-only registration.

As a TD and as a player, I think online is far superior in every way and is worth every penny it costs and would never run a tournament that didn't offer online registration. But I'd never not accept cash in hand payments (or check by mail payments) to pre-register so long as the tournament wasn't already full.

When a tournament I'm running is coming up, I rarely will go to any course where I might see interested players without either a flyer or business cards on which I can write down name and division so I don't forget. Though these days, all I have to do is log on to DGS with my phone and add the player to the tournament immediately. Simple.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,871 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
To be clear, I was not saying that 72+ players should be able to pay cash to the TD when they see him. I was only saying that that option should exist alongside DiscGolfScene or whatever online service is used for as long as unclaimed spots remain in the tournament. In other words, tournaments should NEVER be online-only registration.

As a TD and as a player, I think online is far superior in every way and is worth every penny it costs and would never run a tournament that didn't offer online registration. But I'd never not accept cash in hand payments (or check by mail payments) to pre-register so long as the tournament wasn't already full.

When a tournament I'm running is coming up, I rarely will go to any course where I might see interested players without either a flyer or business cards on which I can write down name and division so I don't forget. Though these days, all I have to do is log on to DGS with my phone and add the player to the tournament immediately. Simple.
I disagree. A TD should have the freedom to say whether he'll take manual registration.

My inclination these days is to say, if it's simple for me (as TD) to do it for the player, it's simple for the player to do it for himself.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I disagree. A TD should have the freedom to say whether he'll take manual registration.

My inclination these days is to say, if it's simple for me (as TD) to do it for the player, it's simple for the player to do it for himself.
Competition Manual
1.02.C
All openings in the field of play will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis unless divisional or Pro/Am class caps have been publicized up front with registration, in which case each division or class will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
I interpret that to mean that if I approach the TD with cash in hand, he can't deny me entry if pre-registration is open and there are available spots in the tournament for which I qualify (e.g. I can't do this if there are only am spots remaining and I'm a 970+ rated pro). He might be able to say "can you catch me after the round" or "meet me at my car so I can do this properly" or whatever, but he can't flat out say no.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,871 Times in 1,639 Posts

I interpret that to mean that whoever registers correctly first, gets in. And correctly being in the manner specified by the TD.

There's also a danger in fast-filling events, that someone will be handing the TD money at about the time the online registration fills the last spot, and somebody's going to be upset.

I generally fewer "musts" governing TDs, except where necessary, and I don't think this is necessary.

Niced: (3)

Old 01-07-2020, 07:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 644 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I have been reading a discussion of the PDGA Competition Manual Section 1.02. The discussion surrounded reading the document as part of the discussion, it seems that many TDs in this state are in violation of 1.02.H

“Only paid registrants should be listed on the published tournament list.”

This seems to read you cannot do cashless registration at PDGA events.

Any thoughts?
The key word in 1.02.H is 'should'. It seems to read that you should but don't have to.

Niced: (2)