Old 01-30-2020, 10:46 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 543 Times in 216 Posts
Default Back Swing, Down Swing... 2" Thrust

I watched this video a couple weeks back when it popped up in a form/review post and it has clicked an idea in me that has felt very missing in my form.

I've done the butt wipe drill and many other drills to try to avoid jamming my hip, but the thing that I believe was missing was what is well described around 8:30 in the video.

Paraphrasing: butt stays pushing into the wall on the butt wipe drill during backswing and downswing... then you have "two inches of thrust with the hips".

When I did this slowly, I realized that I was not really thrusting with my hips - which left me jamming the right femur back into my right hip. If you push your hips forward, the femur can rotate further and with a larger degree of freedom.

Is it a big deal? I think so - and for this reason: when you watch GG slow motion specifically, you can spot the instant when he's in his "swan dive" pose.

That pose is the byproduct of the hip thrust. If you don't do this right, I don't think you can get that perfect balance of upper body forward, lower body countering and hips right in line.

You can get close, but I think you'll feel like your hip starts jamming or slowing versus staying fluid.

Lastly - when I aim for that swan dive pose, it's almost like I'm setting up to rip a phonebook in half and pin my shoulder blades together in the follow through. It reinforces the off arm staying efficient.

Anyways, thanks for letting this lurker jabber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (35.1 KB, 398 views)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 01-30-2020, 10:09 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 368 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post

I watched this video a couple weeks back when it popped up in a form/review post and it has clicked an idea in me that has felt very missing in my form.

I've done the butt wipe drill and many other drills to try to avoid jamming my hip, but the thing that I believe was missing was what is well described around 8:30 in the video.

Paraphrasing: butt stays pushing into the wall on the butt wipe drill during backswing and downswing... then you have "two inches of thrust with the hips".
Is the 830 time correct or when does he talk about the hip thrust bit? Sorry if I just missed it because I'm tired. Cheers.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:11 PM
*Moderator*

No, my bad... looks like around 7:15

Niced: (1)
Old 01-31-2020, 07:07 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
No, my bad... looks like around 7:15
Gotcha. I think there he's telling Brody what he's doing wrong in comparison to the blue golfer. In other words, Brody needs to less pelvic thrust at the address in order to get his butt on the glass.

Nevertheless I don't disagree with what you're saying. I started lifting this past year, with good amount of leg exercise concentration, and I feel it's been helpful and the coordination of a lot of excercises say, deadlifts and one legged split squats, for example, all translate.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:55 AM
*Moderator*

Apologies if my description is confusing or just plain wrong... I am trying to say that keeping the butt back is good, but what I was doing wrong was as described here:

https://youtu.be/x3_nFDAaHzI at 8:50

“If you try to execute a golf swing against a square leg, you’re only going to get so far in rotation.”

I never got my square leg and blocked hip fixed up.

He describes it as firing the lead glute and that’s what “Creates a straightening”... and what I mean by forward thrust, which in hindsight is probably a bad term because it sounds like that’s what golf pros describe as pulling your hips forward too early?

Last edited by HyzerUniBomber; 01-31-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:35 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Apologies if my description is confusing or just plain wrong... I am trying to say that keeping the butt back is good, but what I was doing wrong was as described here:

https://youtu.be/x3_nFDAaHzI at 8:50

“If you try to execute a golf swing against a square leg, you’re only going to get so far in rotation.”

I never got my square leg and blocked hip fixed up.

He describes it as firing the lead glute and that’s what “Creates a straightening”... and what I mean by forward thrust, which in hindsight is probably a bad term because it sounds like that’s what golf pros describe as pulling your hips forward too early?
Yeah, I track with you - makes sense.

Here's what I was getting at that I felt goes with your glute activation and hip extension comments in regards to lifting:

Around 2:20 min

Kettle bell swings also very applicable to that GG hip extension.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,222 Times in 1,962 Posts

Yeah, he was talking about Brodie thrusting toward the ball(losing hip depth/butt pressure) 2" which is aka early extension or humping the goat - no bueno.

Hogan Power Drill 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8p9SHlqyuU&t=2m47s

Buttwipe nuances:
Over the top (jamming into front hip) vs Rising into upright finish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio&t=2m53s
Glute activation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio&t=4m58s

Oldie but goodie - squat and thrust.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:34 AM

Courses Played: 2
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

I was watching all the footage from the 2019 distance comp. Most the pros straighten the lead knee and glute during the hit.
I've been having pain in my hip flexor after field work. I think it's from jamming my lead hip into a lazy glute instead of contracting the glute on my brace leg during the hit and finishing more upright with a straight braced lead leg.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2020, 01:14 PM
*Moderator*

Yep ^^ I was lacking the thrust up portion. Adding it in feels awesome: better rotation, and more forward ejection power on the disc.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,222 Times in 1,962 Posts