Old 02-17-2020, 02:40 PM

Years Playing: 35.3
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 82 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentCrook View Post
I seem to remember one of these popping up recently on FB if I'm not mistaken. I wasn't aware there was a second.
You may not be aware b/c the moderators of The Cincy Disc Golfers group decided to delete the outing presumably b/c they were concerned about a witch hunt. Unless you looked at FB during the 3-4 hours it was posted, you wouldn't know. I strongly disagree with their decision to delete it b/c I don't think the RSO's right to privacy should trump informing a group about a RSO's presence in the community. Of course I take that position since my young son plays all the time and in the past I've sent him into the woods to play tournament rounds (with guys I "knew"). Although nothing bad happened, that was probably dumb of me and last year I just caddied his tournaments or sent him out at leagues with people I trusted 100%.

Anyway, "luckily" I saw it posted in those 3-4 hours so now I know that I spent every week the previous winter at a putting league with my young son in the company of that particular RSO.

I will say there is a world of difference between various RSO's . . . 18 & 16 y/o consentually hooking up before having a falling out is nothing compared to a 40 y/o raping a 10 y/o. But since I'm not privy to all of the details I'd just as soon avoid all of them.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 02-17-2020, 03:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,393 Times in 536 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

They did let it go on for a while. #1 perv was participating, threatening legal action, praising his mug shot as a good look and more. I do believe the topic ran its course that day and not much more needed to be said.
They could have left it up a bit longer but I have no problem with it eventually being deleted.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:59 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,475 Times in 359 Posts

In some jurisdictions it's a crime to use sex offender registry information to harass the people on the list, and this is prominently displayed on a click-through TOS web page before the user can move along to the search tools.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,320 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
People who have no issue playing on a card with a child molestor probably have never been a parent. Would I play on a card with convicted molester for a tourney? Not sure yet. Would I find the self control to not punch them square in the face? Not sure about that one either. I hope I never have to make that decision.

Of course, if I get in a fight with anyone I would most likely get my a$$ handed to me. Not exactly the fighting type...
I'm not sure I buy this. I don't think making the decision to not have children would preclude me from the concept of intelligent, compassionate, critical thinking in this decision.

If you point was that parents are less capable of the above, I am not sure I agree either. It boils down to personal choice.....and a lot of presumption.

In any case, considering the vast majority of abused children are abused by close friends and family members, I'm not sure taking a stand against the guy you are playing disc golf with, is the best use of parental protection energy.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,393 Times in 536 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
In some jurisdictions it's a crime to use sex offender registry information to harass the people on the list, and this is prominently displayed on a click-through TOS web page before the user can move along to the search tools.
This was sharing public information, something I've done for these pervs for years. This particular one knows me personally, so far I have not been arrested (which he threatened) or heard from any lawyer that was not a prosecutor looking for information.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-17-2020, 05:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 88
Niced 2,021 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I'm not sure I buy this. I don't think making the decision to not have children would preclude me from the concept of intelligent, compassionate, critical thinking in this decision.

If you point was that parents are less capable of the above, I am not sure I agree either. It boils down to personal choice.....and a lot of presumption.

In any case, considering the vast majority of abused children are abused by close friends and family members, I'm not sure taking a stand against the guy you are playing disc golf with, is the best use of parental protection energy.
The operative word in my post was "probably." Sure wasn't meant to be a blanket statement to cover everyone in every situation. I did not say not having kids precluded anyone from any level of compassion. Please do not put those words in my mouth. I was only talking about people who do not have an issue playing with molestors.

All I know is it wasn't until I had kids that topics like this affected my thinking and emotions in a very real way.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:17 PM

Years Playing: 35.3
Courses Played: 53
Niced 82 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
They did let it go on for a while. #1 perv was participating, threatening legal action, praising his mug shot as a good look and more. I do believe the topic ran its course that day and not much more needed to be said.
They could have left it up a bit longer but I have no problem with it eventually being deleted.
That was a different time, but yes, both times it was deleted quickly. I know other parents who are group members that throw with their kids that didn't see it and didn't know about the individuals. I told them about one when we crossed paths with the guy on the course.

Again, I don't know all the facts, so I won't entirely judge but I don't need to know . . . not taking chances with my kid or anyone elses.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:47 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 150 Times in 77 Posts

What if they’re a convicted felon with a publicly available record...and innocent? What if they were convicted of murdering their sister’s rapist? What if the convicted felon was ritually abused as a child? What if their dad pimped them out and and got them addicted to drugs? What if they’re just mentally ill and poor and can’t afford services and there aren’t any free clinics so they always end up in jail and arrested?

What’s on paper is somewhere between all of the story and none of it.

I’ve had murder clients who I’d hire to babysit my kids. I’ve had rapist clients who I’d introduce to my mother. I’ve had thieving clients who the prosecutors had a soft spot for. I had a really nice prisoner tell me that the 14 words from Mein Kampf were “a band thing.” I watched a fellow defense lawyer get a deserved award for his amazing service to defendants after getting in trouble for spanking a teenage girl he was representing.

Life’s a rich tapestry and people change. For better and worse.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,058 Times in 1,429 Posts

I'm not ending their life. I'm just choosing not to play with them.

Sometimes the criminal justice system fails people. Surely I'm not so important that depriving the wrongly convicted innocent of my company during a round is such a great injustice.

I didn't say they can't play. But I don't have to play with anyone I don't want to.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:50 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 150 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I'm not ending their life. I'm just choosing not to play with them.

Sometimes the criminal justice system fails people. Surely I'm not so important that depriving the wrongly convicted innocent of my company during a round is such a great injustice.

I didn't say they can't play. But I don't have to play with anyone I don't want to.
True true. Just a lot of death penalty and chemical castration talk ‘round these parts. A lot of blanket statements and playing god. Carry on.