#81  
Old 02-19-2020, 10:26 AM
Dcinmd Dcinmd is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 368
Niced 254 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
It always blows my mind how cheap disc golfers can be.

$300 bag, with $600 worth of discs in it? No problem. $5 a month to watch live disc golf? OMGWTF (maybe not so much on this board, but the overall interwebz reaction)
It could be free but I am still not watching live. I have better uses for my free time, like going out and enjoying a round or a tournament.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 02-19-2020, 11:06 AM
Horsman's Avatar
Horsman Horsman is offline
Pandamonium Discs
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 175
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,351
Niced 775 Times in 355 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
I would be stunned if there aren't ads.
I feel like this question is purposely not being answered. But Im on your side. Id guess they will have ads too which if they do its an even easier choice to not purchase.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 02-19-2020, 11:12 AM
ToddL ToddL is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,068
Niced 460 Times in 210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwichiwi View Post
They also were overwhelmed by the cell service data being overloaded by everyone at the tournament using their phones.
We only had to make that announcement like 5 times. Tracked down a few guys who were live-streaming to their own facebook pages, told everyone to quit uploading videos, told everyone to quit uploading photos, told everyone to quit uploading anything. Eventually got the point across.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 02-19-2020, 11:14 AM
ToddL ToddL is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,068
Niced 460 Times in 210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
I feel like this question is purposely not being answered. But Im on your side. Id guess they will have ads too which if they do its an even easier choice to not purchase.
I'd rather watch a few ads than see the camera bouncing down the fairway or looking at Jamie's mug for a couple of minutes on every hole.

Personal opinions and stuff, though...
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 02-19-2020, 11:44 AM
Cap Tan Cap Tan is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Central Mississippi
Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 34
Niced 19 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I will hold out for a PGA quality product, which is free BTW.
PGA events are NOT free. Spectators pay sometimes exorbitant prices for tickets. Ad space is highly sought after and is seen in commercials and random places on the course. And you're paying for it when you watch it on cable. Just not directly. Everyone who watches is paying.

Disc golf on TV, just like ball golf on TV, is a product. It takes money to get any product to customers, and if a profit is not made it will simply go away. Whether or not that money comes from sponsors, advertisers, customers, or any combination of the three is yet to be seen. But the sponsors and advertisers are looking to make money as well. If they aren't getting it, away it goes. And each customer decides what is and isn't a good value.

This is simply someone starting a new business.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 02-19-2020, 11:50 AM
Jouni's Avatar
Jouni Jouni is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 435
Niced 107 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Most important question for us Europeans: Can I watch the stream after the live broadcast in the next morning if and when I fall asleep halfway to the the round?

Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 02-19-2020, 12:27 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,223
Niced 2,333 Times in 905 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Tan View Post
PGA events are NOT free. Spectators pay sometimes exorbitant prices for tickets. Ad space is highly sought after and is seen in commercials and random places on the course. And you're paying for it when you watch it on cable. Just not directly. Everyone who watches is paying.

Disc golf on TV, just like ball golf on TV, is a product. It takes money to get any product to customers, and if a profit is not made it will simply go away. Whether or not that money comes from sponsors, advertisers, customers, or any combination of the three is yet to be seen. But the sponsors and advertisers are looking to make money as well. If they aren't getting it, away it goes. And each customer decides what is and isn't a good value.

This is simply someone starting a new business.
I am not an advertiser, nor a spectator at the event. I am a guy that might want to watch a PGA event. Most are available over network airwaves television for no cost. I never said there was not a cost to providing such a service, but that is not the consumer's problem. I understand the business model employed by DGPT.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 02-19-2020, 12:41 PM
Cap Tan Cap Tan is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Central Mississippi
Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 34
Niced 19 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I am not an advertiser, nor a spectator at the event. I am a guy that might want to watch a PGA event. Most are available over network airwaves television for no cost. I never said there was not a cost to providing such a service, but that is not the consumer's problem. I understand the business model employed by DGPT.
That's fair. I wasn't thinking about over the air channels. The "cost for providing a product" bit was more for the thread in general, not you specifically. My bad, should've separated it.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 02-19-2020, 02:59 PM
SpikeHyzer SpikeHyzer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my cubicle...
Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 988
Niced 218 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
We only had to make that announcement like 5 times. Tracked down a few guys who were live-streaming to their own facebook pages, told everyone to quit uploading videos, told everyone to quit uploading photos, told everyone to quit uploading anything. Eventually got the point across.
This is laughable if this really fixed the issue.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
 

  #90  
Old 02-19-2020, 03:20 PM
ToddL ToddL is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,068
Niced 460 Times in 210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeHyzer View Post
This is laughable if this really fixed the issue.
Camera -> line of sight laser or something to van -> cell signal to booth -> wifi to router -> upload to internet over university broadband connection

A few thousand people can swamp a cell signal enough to make the video choppy or pixelated. Happens quite a bit.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SmashBoxxTV [Live Coverage] DiscFifty General Disc Golf Chat 13 04-29-2019 05:11 PM
Would you pay for live coverage now? DiscFifty General Disc Golf Chat 74 10-18-2018 10:36 AM
Cell coverage/Live coverage at Worlds Understable Tournaments & Leagues 3 06-19-2017 04:35 PM
Live Coverage vs. Next-Day Edited Coverage heartman Tournaments & Leagues 49 11-14-2015 08:31 PM
Live dg coverage Tfire25 General Disc Golf Chat 30 08-13-2014 08:38 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.