Old 02-26-2020, 08:01 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 114 Times in 56 Posts

Wow, a lot of good advice, thank you. I don't want to try to throw long forehands yet due to injury potential. I'm practicing very short ones for now.

Disc selection seems to be playing more of a role than I expected, though I'm stoked to experiment with technique. I guess I'll be diverting from my Buzzzes for these shots (I cannot hyzerflip my BuzzzSS yet), which could be fun. I have an Elite-Z Comet that is almost brand new lying around. I'm looking at a Sol [4,5,-3,0] as well. Will give those some effort.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2020, 08:30 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 140 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Wow, a lot of good advice, thank you. I don't want to try to throw long forehands yet due to injury potential. I'm practicing very short ones for now.

Disc selection seems to be playing more of a role than I expected, though I'm stoked to experiment with technique. I guess I'll be diverting from my Buzzzes for these shots (I cannot hyzerflip my BuzzzSS yet), which could be fun. I have an Elite-Z Comet that is almost brand new lying around. I'm looking at a Sol [4,5,-3,0] as well. Will give those some effort.

It’s not a mid but I have a DX Leopard that does nothing but want to go right. I can start that thing almost perpendicular to the ground and it pops right up and starts turning over. I haven’t played with it much because it kind of frustrated me but it might be a good disc for the shot you’re talking about. If you were local to me I’d give it to you.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-26-2020, 09:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,062 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
A Sol is probably a good disc to try with. If you don't like your results with that, try to resist the temptation buying a succession of flippy discs on hopes of finding one you really like for that shot.

One nice thing about disc golf, is that it's pretty easy to make friends on the course. Having friends, and being able to ask them if you can take a few huks with one of their discs to see what it does for you, is a great alternative to buying new discs in hopes of it doing what you want.

Obviously purchases aren't just any random molds... we research flight ratings and stuff before buying. But even with that, things don't always go as expected.

Being able to fly before you buy is a great way to avoid stocking up on discs you hope you can find a use for "some day."

Niced: (2)
Old 02-27-2020, 05:29 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Niced 238 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
1st hole is a low ceiling straight tunnel with RR.
3rd hole I throw back to back low ceiling late turn shots with same RR.
Great examples, thanks!
Old 02-27-2020, 07:55 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 490 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
It’s not a mid but I have a DX Leopard that does nothing but want to go right. I can start that thing almost perpendicular to the ground and it pops right up and starts turning over. I haven’t played with it much because it kind of frustrated me but it might be a good disc for the shot you’re talking about. If you were local to me I’d give it to you.
I recently lost a GStar Leopard that did the same. I bought a few Star Leopards before I lost the GStar hoping they’d do the same but in a plastic I like more. They are flippy, but not hyzerflip to moving right throughout throw flippy, which was a disappointment to learn.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 60
Niced 81 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
A Sol is probably a good disc to try with. If you don't like your results with that, try to resist the temptation buying a succession of flippy discs on hopes of finding one you really like for that shot.

One nice thing about disc golf, is that it's pretty easy to make friends on the course. Having friends, and being able to ask them if you can take a few huks with one of their discs to see what it does for you, is a great alternative to buying new discs in hopes of it doing what you want.

Obviously purchases aren't just any random molds... we research flight ratings and stuff before buying. But even with that, things don't always go as expected.

Being able to fly before you buy is a great way to avoid stocking up on discs you hope you can find a use for "some day."
Yeah, stick with the Sol for a while. If you don't get it with the Sol, then borrow discs instead of buying them. Great ideas from this guy.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 109
Niced 227 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
Is it possible to throw late turning shots with a low ceiling? Most posts adviced to give it height to work. That's definitely easier. If you have the room then a late turn is not much different than any turning/right-travelling shot, only that the disc is more US and you start on hyzer to have it go straight at first, while flipping up to flat, in order to start the actual right travelling much later.

But if I face a tunnel shot (narrow and limited height) where I want to end up slightly right. How do you approach this?

Seems that's even more touchy. You probably need to take a faster disc for a lower line and get all the angles just right.

The success and error percentages would be to bad for me to go with this shot. I'd rather forehand a straight disc. But if you are on on certain level you probably care for landing angles and there backhand turnover might trump the forehand.

But back to my question: How about low ceilings?
ROLLER!!
Old 02-27-2020, 11:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 12
Niced 487 Times in 346 Posts

I traded for an old Elite-X Comet off of the MP a while ago and it does this shot perfectly for me, so much so that I've been trying to find more uses for it. I highly recommend trying to get this type of shot down from a standstill first and then try it with a runup if you can't get it to work standstill. I've also found that beat Rocs or any slower glidey midrange works for this shot.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:05 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 36.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 95 Times in 57 Posts

I have 3 discs for which i can throw this shot. Can't throw a forehand with any power. Renegade (came very understable brand new), F7 and Road Runner. I can throw them all flat and they give me a consistent turn right with just a slight fade at the very end. Into the wind I need to start with a hyzer angle and downwind I have to give them a bit of an anny.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 18
Niced 255 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
I have an Elite-Z Comet that is almost brand new lying around. I'm looking at a Sol [4,5,-3,0] as well. Will give those some effort.
The sol is easier to flip. They are both great to learn the nuances of a hyzerflip, but the sol really shines on a low speed hyzerflip to turnover. It's hella touchy in the wind, but on a calm day you'll be shocked with the easy distance followed by a gentle turnover.
If you don't like the bead on the comet, the sol is a good (easier even) disc for this application. For me, the sol complements the zone and buzzz well as they all feel pretty similar in hand.

That said, if you're looking for a touch more distance, consider an archer. If I recall from the ace race, it has a bead but blunter than the one on the comet, and it's very easy to throw. Doesn't take much to put it on a nice hyzerflip with a late turnover.