Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Throw height

How high do you guys throw a drive (off the ground) generally?

I normally throw pretty low I've realized, but I was hitting about 350 consistantly today when I threw it a bit higher (maybe 8-12 feet off the ground). Seems like it had more time to glide, but some of my discs turned over too much at that height.. JW what you guys think

aj
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 3
Niced 44 Times in 25 Posts

took me a while to understand why throwing high helps distance. The trick is learning that pesky nose down. Otherwise your disc just keeps going up up up and away.

Anyway long distance usually requires something like 30' underneath it. If you're throwing 350' 10' off the ground you could probably be throwing 430-ish... try throwing higher and slapping some more hyzer on that disc. That way they won't turn to much when they are high. Crank it dawg... I bet you have 500' in there before the summer hits.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 10
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfair View Post
took me a while to understand why throwing high helps distance. The trick is learning that pesky nose down. Otherwise your disc just keeps going up up up and away.

Anyway long distance usually requires something like 30' underneath it. If you're throwing 350' 10' off the ground you could probably be throwing 430-ish... try throwing higher and slapping some more hyzer on that disc. That way they won't turn to much when they are high. Crank it dawg... I bet you have 500' in there before the summer hits.
Cool No one ever explained that to me, and somehow I must have missed that in the technique vids and such I've been looking through.. Gonna have to give it a try this weekend

aj
Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 40
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightAJ View Post
Cool No one ever explained that to me, and somehow I must have missed that in the technique vids and such I've been looking through.. Gonna have to give it a try this weekend

aj
Ive recently realized the same thing. I can throw super low lines about 340 with my pro wraiths. Its tough adding height and keeping it nose down heh...still trying to get it down.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm interested in hearing more on this too. Dove tailing the Hyzer Flip thread, this is an important aspect of that throw especially.

I have found that if I throw a disc that is beyond my speed/power, then I get more distance keeping that disc low. The discs turn so stable that the height just kills the throw. Keeping these discs low results in enormous skips that make up for the short landing distance. I only throw these discs into heavy winds. destroyer, beast etc

If I Hyzer Flip a disc that I am able to overpower, then I get way more distance with a higher flight pattern. Roadrunner, leopard etc
Old 12-08-2010, 12:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 42
Niced 67 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0atz View Post
Ive recently realized the same thing. I can throw super low lines about 340 with my pro wraiths. Its tough adding height and keeping it nose down heh...still trying to get it down.
I've been having the same problem lately. Im hitting 350-60 regularly with my Orcs only 5 feet off the ground, but can rarely translate that throw at a higher level to significantly more distance than that. Still working on it though. I'm looking forward to the (very distant) day when I feel my distance has peaked.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 40
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcr_russell View Post
I've been having the same problem lately. Im hitting 350-60 regularly with my Orcs only 5 feet off the ground, but can rarely translate that throw at a higher level to significantly more distance than that. Still working on it though. I'm looking forward to the (very distant) day when I feel my distance has peaked.

yup...I know exactly what you mean.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Depends on disc, throw purpose and line.

In general, for me, my maximum distance comes when the disc is 10-20' off the ground. Flat is great for "s" curves, slightly elevated is great for extra distance, highly elevated is great for a hyzer.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 3
Niced 44 Times in 25 Posts

well fellas it sounds like you have a similar issue and I'd like to try to help you clean up that nose down of yours because that is what it sounds like.

1) learn you're grip. Grab a disc grip it how you normally would, and then if you haven't yet, give this a try.

Do your grip then do his grip, then modify it and pay attention to how you modify it but focus on 2/3 things he says in particular which is the rolling the disc from your forearm into the cheeks of the hand, the disc being in the middle of your hand, and watching where your thumb is. These can help nose up.

2) Throwing farther lower can be easier at first because of the issue of weight shift. Another big factor in nose up comes from not getting your weight forward ala- Dan Beto's right pec drill. Getting you're weight both forward and over your plant foot takes a little time but is very doable.

3) Adding a little nose down by turning the nose of the disc down a bi, not a lot but hold the disc however you decide then just turn your wrist down a little bit.

I haven't gotten to play with this last idea yet (weather blows here...) but the other thing Climo talks about very momentarily is thumb position. He says "That's control" and in a discraft video a guy talks about thumb positioning allowing for all kinds of control but mentions getting nose down down by putting your thumb over the wing of the disc as opposed where the flight plate and rim met (which is where I usually place it.)

I cleaned up a lot of my nose down issues using this info and with the hammer pound I can get a comet about 320'-330' consistantly, straight as an arrow, but about 10' off the ground because of a little bit of nose down I have yet to achieve and I really think its because of my thumb now... try it out, let us know, and I hope to throw farther soon too!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 172
Niced 681 Times in 295 Posts

Slower discs - Teebirds, Valks, Rocs - are less nose-angle sensitive and easier to throw on higher lines, compared with faster drivers like the Wraith or Orc. Give your slower drivers a try - you might be pleasantly surprised.