Old 12-12-2018, 12:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 317 Times in 169 Posts
Default Buzz and Roc. Archetypes?

Constantly seeing people on the forums here debate the greatness of these discs, and subsequently reading posts about other discs that are like them, got me wondering about the evolution of these two.
I'm aware that for a long while there was just the big two, Innova and Discraft (Innova first with golf specific discs?), and that most innovation came from Innova during this period. But I'm not privy to when the Roc was created: Nor which came first, the bee or the bird.
So my question, posed to those who are more knowledgeable than I: Were the Buzz and Roc the first mids of their type?

(I guess I should also ask if "mids" existed prior to these two/ were these "high-speed" drivers for the time?)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2018, 04:58 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 849 Times in 408 Posts

This has been posted on these forums before somewhere.
I re-read it periodically when I get mixed up with where older molds fit in the chronology.

http://discgolfwarehouse.com/Disc%20...golf_discs.htm

Niced: (1)
Old 12-12-2018, 06:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,411 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
. But I'm not privy to when the Roc was created: Nor which came first, the bee or the bird.
So my question, posed to those who are more knowledgeable than I: Were the Buzz and Roc the first mids of their type?
The original (now changed many times) Rocs were. The Buzzz is nowhere near as old (not even as old as the Wasp). The Hawk was Discraft's first "Roc" I believe.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,622 Times in 1,938 Posts

Not necessarily the first...wasn't the Aurora created before the Buzzz? So would it technically be the first lowline, driver type mid?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 562 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
Constantly seeing people on the forums here debate the greatness of these discs, and subsequently reading posts about other discs that are like them, got me wondering about the evolution of these two.
Don't see much Roc vs Buzzz chatter anymore, even a few years ago when I started it was still a hotly debated subject and good for a front page thread every week or so it seemed.

It would seem that once the Roc3 came into the limelight, the Roc guys willing to migrate into premium plastic had more in common with the Buzzz guys than before.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 792 Times in 616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Don't see much Roc vs Buzzz chatter anymore, even a few years ago when I started it was still a hotly debated subject and good for a front page thread every week or so it seemed.

It would seem that once the Roc3 came into the limelight, the Roc guys willing to migrate into premium plastic had more in common with the Buzzz guys than before.

I think you might be right on this one. I was a dedicated Z Buzzz thrower for over a decade. I loved how the disc flew so effortlessly and how well it felt in the hand. However, as I progressed as a player over the years I discovered that the Buzzz doesn't handle power well. Enter the champion Roc3. I like mids in premium plastic. The easy availability of the Roc3 made me give it a try. It has since taken the place of the Buzzz in my bag. The Roc3 handles power a lot better than a Buzzz. It won't turn over no matter how hard I rip it. Basically the Roc3 and Buzzz have the same flight, but the Roc3 has none of the wildness of the Buzzz.

Since switching to the Roc3 my midrange game has improved noticeably and quickly. I'll go as far as to say its the best general midrange disc I've ever thrown.

After all that, I'll say the Buzzz and Roc are fairly similar discs. The only real difference is that the Buzzz lacks a bead on the bottom of the rim. The Roc and Wasp seem to be more similar. For whatever reason I never jived with the Wasp as well as I do with the Roc.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 42
Niced 85 Times in 58 Posts

Buzzz doesn't handle power? I could routinely laser them out to 350 with no turn when I bagged them. What plastic were you throwing? Z buzzzes are pretty stout. FR titanium, x and pro d not so much. Esp will beat in some turn.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Niced 238 Times in 157 Posts

From the linked source:

Roc came out 1987, now 31 years old (but revised several times).

Buzzz came out 2003, now 15 years old.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 86
Niced 346 Times in 188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
This has been posted on these forums before somewhere.
I re-read it periodically when I get mixed up with where older molds fit in the chronology.

http://discgolfwarehouse.com/Disc%20...golf_discs.htm
This history is great, its crazy to see the acceleration of new molds in the late 90's and then the escalating speed and stability of discs in the early 2000's. I came into the game in 2001 or so, and had no idea that so many discs were only a year or two old at the time.

Especially the Buzzz, which was such an instant classic. It's easy to see why people think Roc/Buzzz are from the same era. They really aren't.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,255 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
[/B]
...The Roc3 handles power a lot better than a Buzzz. It won't turn over no matter how hard I rip it. Basically the Roc3 and Buzzz have the same flight, but the Roc3 has none of the wildness of the Buzzz.
I've never had a problem laying into a Buzzz. Yesterday I put a 2017 Tour Series under a basket at 370 (5ish-ft elevation drop).
I put maybe a 20 degree hyzer when I'm really trying to push them out, but usually a whisper of a hyzer will do to keep them from ever turning over. Sometimes I get a slight drift before fading back at the end, but usually they're on a rope...or I've underpowered them so the usual miss is to the left (RHBH)

I used to bag the Meteor/Buzzz/Wasp/Drone setup. My Wasp (Roc3) needed a flat release to get any distance. And yes, they can handle more power, and they needed it to get them as far as a Buzzz thrown at 80%.

But I see how added stability can give confidence...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Safari Hole 6 - Red Tees.JPG (50.4 KB, 136 views)