Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 36
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Developing the Bonopane

Today I played a round after work and decided to try a different grip. In the past, I've been unable to use the full power grip with all four finger tips on the rim because the disc always came out late with anhyzer. I always had to curl my pinky under the rim and use a 3 finger power grip. I did well with this grip, hitting 400'-425' on a golf line when I needed to rip it. But I noticed that I couldn't get that distance if I ever got the disc more than 10-15' high. I assumed that I was getting nose up when trying to throw higher.

Finally, today I tried the bonopane grip (under specialty grips here). Immediately I found out if I pulled through too low I would get an amazing drive of 100' before the disc would saw through the grass and hide under the dirt from me. After getting my pull through higher, I found I was hitting 30-40' height during the drive very consistently. I was also pleasantly surprised that I had slightly improved accuracy, even when my timing was a little off. So far so good.

I get to the first long hole and think "I'm gonna park this for the first time." But since it was a casual round, first I threw my typical grip with a Wraith to have a comparison. It landed in it's normal spot about 60ft short. I step up again and launch the Bonopane with my Escape. The disc flies like a rocket out of my hand and gets to mid-flight way sooner than my Wraith did. Then it did something I've never seen when it's not windy; it drops 15ft, hovers a little longer, and then glides into the ground about 75ft short of the basket. Note that it glided into the ground while still going straight, it never started to fade.

This happens with nearly all of my Bonopane throws, where the disc launches out of my hand unbelievably fast but drops to the ground while the disc is flying straight or even while the disc is in the middle of it's turn before flexing back. Volt, River, Leopard, Wraith, Escape, all the same. Luckily because it comes out of the hand so fast I'm still throwing just over 400' with it, but if I could keep it in the air and let it finish it's flight I wonder how much further it would go...

I guess my question is, could the Bonopane be losing the power? Or am I uncovering a lack of power problem that was masked by previous grips? Perhaps my first question should be, is a lack of power the culprit for the flight characteristics I'm getting?

I'm definitely getting a lot more spin out of the disc with the Bonopane and when the disc rockets out of the hand I can't help but think I'm getting good power, but maybe not.

Also, for anybody considering the Bonopane my first impression is to try it. It did wear just a tad bit more than normal at the knuckle on my thumb. This is because I am getting a lot more pinch with the Bonopane than my previous grips. But I also threw on average 4 drives a hole.

Sorry for the book, I was looking to get answers to my questions but also sort of have a journal for my learnings while developing this new grip.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,237 Times in 1,977 Posts

Probably, I know I get more spin/nose down with that grip, but not as much speed/power.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 155 Times in 107 Posts

i'm staying tuned.

very interested to see people discuss this a bit more, as i have been seriously considering switching. i feel i don't get enough snap at the end of my throw. lots of this is due to mechanics (probably gonna hit up the airborne disc golf emporium and pay the 100$ to have cale help me) but i feel i could get more snap now with bonopane. just too much of a chicken to try it.

so, did you notice if you were getting that distance with less effort? or did it feel about the same?
Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 133
Niced 765 Times in 350 Posts

Via the link you posted:

"This not a popular grip as it is not well suited for power and can be painful with heavy discs."
Old 06-28-2013, 12:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 111
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have 0 advice for how to throw that particular grip more than 400 feet. I doubt many do.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Alright, so the Bonopane is limited on power. I knew that going into the round and quite honestly didn't expect the results I received. Toward the end of the round I was consistently hitting 400+ with multiple discs (Wraith, Escape, Volt), which is something I couldn't do with my previous grip.

What I was really hoping this thread would lead to, is why is this grip less powerful? The rest of my throw being equal and the grip being the only difference, then it would have to be my rip point force was less than the other grip right?

If so, perhaps my middle finger is not as strong as my index at putting the inward pressure into the palm to create maximum force. However, lining up for the shot I was focusing more on the pinch point between my middle finger tip and my thumb knuckle on the flight plate than anything else. Maybe by focusing more on the middle finger pressure against the rim I can generate more power.

Some "journal" entries:
-As I sit and think about the nose down I achieve with this grip, I wonder how much more distance I could get with a tailwind compared to other grips. I also wonder how much a headwind might drive the nose of the disc toward the ground.

-My Biofuzion Escape went further than my Wraith when both were thrown with the Bonopane. Flight was the exact same. They are within 3g of each other on weight. I must be getting the spin needed to glide the Escape further and not quite getting it for the higher speed Wraith.

With this grip, I noticed it's much harder to find the release angles. When I wanted to hyzer-flip, it ended up being a flat through. When I wanted to anhyzer, it ended up flat. It seems like it's very easy for me to find flat with the grip, which is great when I want it. It is definitely more difficult to feel the orientation of the disc as Dave Dunipace mentions here. I've only used it for one round so maybe more practice will help with this issue, but if not this could be the major downfall to the grip that eventually will make me give up on it.

Dave mentions in the above thread that he uses lighter discs with the Bonopane. The three discs that went furthest for me were the Escape 168g, Wraith 165g, and a Volt 170g. Next time out, I'll have to try my 156 Blizzard Destroyer to see what differences I feel in a much lighter disc.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
i'm staying tuned.

very interested to see people discuss this a bit more, as i have been seriously considering switching. i feel i don't get enough snap at the end of my throw. lots of this is due to mechanics (probably gonna hit up the airborne disc golf emporium and pay the 100$ to have cale help me) but i feel i could get more snap now with bonopane. just too much of a chicken to try it.

so, did you notice if you were getting that distance with less effort? or did it feel about the same?
I wouldn't necessarily say less effort, but I'm getting the distance more consistently.

This grip definitely isn't a miracle worker for somebody already throwing with decent distance. I'm throwing the same distance, maybe just a hair more, than I was before. But the increased accuracy and consistency are more than worth it to stick with this grip for a while.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbr75 View Post
What I was really hoping this thread would lead to, is why is this grip less powerful? The rest of my throw being equal and the grip being the only difference, then it would have to be my rip point force was less than the other grip right?
Index finger controls the top forearm muscle, which provides a lot of power. That finger is wrapped over your thumb and not providing it's full power this way. That would be my guess
Old 06-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 10
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll do some tests for you Monday if it's not raining. I work all weekend so I wont be able to get out there til Monday.

I used this grip once before when I was younger,but can't remember the results I got out of it.

Maybe with my experience I'll be able to give some good results? I like this Idea and sounds like something for me to dissect a bit.

all my discs except or some Mids and Putters are all around the 166 to 170 range. So you'll know most of my discs are on the lighter side for the test.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 10
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh wow.Just tried the grip out,just gripping the disc that is.

I forgot how uncomfortable this grip was lol. No worries though. I look forward to my results.