Old 08-29-2018, 05:04 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshelton View Post
Probably an odd question but someone who throw these might be able to answer.

I recently lost a Z Reaper and am looking at replacements, I have a 2018 Sexton Firebird and threw it in the field today, seems to have a good deal more initial stability than the Reaper, granted the Reaper was beat in but at my power (300' Teebirds) the Firebird seems to want to start breaking a lot sooner where the Reaper would stay strait 50 or so feet longer.

My question is, how do these beat in, will some of the stability get knocked off or do they change little with wear? I don't throw any other Innova champ plastic so I don't really have anything I could get an idea from.

Thanks for any help
They definitely will beat in and become more straight. However, I have found that my Opto Felon flies a whole lot like the old Z Reaper I used to throw, except it may be a little longer and faster. I'm getting a very similar looking flight though- it will go straight and maybe even turn a bit, then come crashing down left (thrown RHBH).

Either way, the Sexton Firebird is a great disc, but if you want something a bit more Reaper-ish, I would suggest getting a Felon. Or the third option would be just to go and get yourself another Reaper. Olld ones aren't too terribly hard to find, and Discraft has made new ones recently as well.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-11-2019, 01:23 PM

Niced 29 Times in 11 Posts

Anyone know the stability by year? I think I saw something like 15>17>16>18, but can't find it again. In the 2019 intro video he says the 19 remind him of the 15 or 18 which got me curious. Any help appreciated.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 68
Niced 109 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzer View Post
Anyone know the stability by year? I think I saw something like 15>17>16>18, but can't find it again. In the 2019 intro video he says the 19 remind him of the 15 or 18 which got me curious. Any help appreciated.
I believe there is more to each year of Sextons than a single ranking can explain.

The 15 I threw was domed and hardly FB OS, it broke in very quickly. Love it
My 16 started out and stayed more OS than the 15. Loved it
A friend had a 16 that was entirely different than the 6 16s I received, his was flat and seriously OS. He loved it.
My 18 thrower was absolutely flat, awesomely overstable to start. Loved it.

I find all of my color glow discs wear in quickly, with noted changes in flight. Some years moreso than others. Love this too

Grouping Sextons by year is tricky. How many of us have thrown a good sampling from different orders through each year to be able to evaluate? I love every one I've had though, which keeps me coming back.

I hope to see Sexton do a video with Jomez throwing Firebirds from each year to demonstrate their flights and what he enjoys most about each run.
Then have his pals who bag Sexton FBs come show off their Sextons and throw a couple shots for the camera.
That'd be a great hype commercial series.
Nate, if you see this, please film this at the June Oregon double header, everyone will be there and the courses are beautiful.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 30
Niced 647 Times in 320 Posts

Finally got to throw one of these (my '19) at a tournament this past weekend, and I can see why they're so popular. A bit more glide and distance than my Champ, while still not flipping over in a 20 mph headwind. Saved me strokes in both rounds.

Niced: (2)

Old 04-22-2019, 05:46 PM

Niced 29 Times in 11 Posts

I have started throwing my 2018 Sexton bird more and more. This thing is awesome. Threw it on a bunch of holes Easter Sunday with winds 10-20. Thrown backhand into a decent head wind it will flip up slightly. Felt like a revelation. I was looking for a beefier teebird and I think it is this firebird.