Old 06-30-2020, 10:06 AM

Niced 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Introduction

Hey Y'all,

Name is Jeremy and I am very new to the sport. My friends have been playing for a long time so I am receiving decent instruction (along with countless hours of youtube)

So far I thoroughly enjoy playing and learning about it. The people I have met when playing are always super nice while I suck it up and slow their rounds down. That has been a lot of the reason this sport is so fun for me. Most everything else I have played in my life has been about "I am the best and only want to look out for myself" where as DG is the exact opposite. It seems like every person I encounter genuinely wants to help me grow and learn, which is AWESOME.

As for a question... I am using a hammydown putter that I believe to be a "stiff Judge" (based on what someone else told me). However, I am wanting to grab some new putters but really have no clue where to start. Any suggestions?

Thanks for letting me join the group!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 06-30-2020, 10:52 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 258 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrown1414 View Post

As for a question... I am using a hammydown putter that I believe to be a "stiff Judge" (based on what someone else told me). However, I am wanting to grab some new putters but really have no clue where to start. Any suggestions?

Welcome! I am also relatively new to the sport, but here is what I have learned so far on selecting a putter.

As you go forward, you'll find that putting is a the most individual and unique aspect of disc golf. Every pro seems to have a slightly different way of putting (even though there is a lot in common between) them. That, plus everyone having different, unique hands, means putters are definite individual choice.

So, that said, the best thing to do is get a bunch of different putter molds and try them out. Don't go for the expensive "premium" plastics, the "base" plastic for putters tends to be the most commonly used for putting putters anyway.

Depending on whether you have a disc golf store locally, the best thing may be to try a bunch of used putters, potentially on any practice basket they have. Then pick several that feel the best and give them a try on the course.

I would suggest sticking to putters in the 173-174 gram range that is most typical for putters. Lighter putters will tend to react poorly to wind.

What I did when I started was buy every Discraft putter mold (except, for some reason, the Banger). I bought them new from discsunlimited, just because I'm not too budget conscious about disc golf, and I didn't know any better. I figured that their molds probably covered the gamut in terms of most common putters. I ended up with the Challenger, which is one of the older putters out there. Sometimes the classics have stuck around for a good reason.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-02-2020, 12:46 AM

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Hello

New here but not totally to the sport. I had high blood pressure and a stagnant lifestyle for 20 years or more; ironically the virus has allowed me to return to it so I converted a 10 acre lot behind my property into a makeshift 9-hole, par 3s and 4s. Been playing 2-3 times a day, lost 10 pounds sweating in MS heat and blood pressure down to safe levels. It's a beautiful sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Tan View Post
I'm a new player that has gotten in deep with this sport so far. Eating up YouTube videos and practicing whenever work and family allows for time. Open to any and all advice.

I live in central Mississippi and except for the constant rain we've had lately, Mississippi allows for outdoor sports to be played pretty much all year. So I'm looking forward to playing more.

Cap Tan - I'm in Hattiesburg, following a similar path loving the sport

Niced: (2)
Old 07-02-2020, 12:52 AM

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Hello

New here but not totally to the sport. I had high blood pressure and a stagnant lifestyle for 20 years or more; ironically the virus has allowed me to return to it so I converted a 10 acre lot behind my property into a makeshift 9-hole, par 3s and 4s. Been playing 2-3 times a day, lost 10 pounds sweating in MS heat and blood pressure down to safe levels. It's a beautiful sport

I played so much freestyle in the 80s and 90s some of my best memories ever, then adulting began and between work and family I became too stagnant. I played disc golf around atlanta for maybe 2 years 87, 88ish but that was it. I'm coming back around now and having a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Tan View Post
I'm a new player that has gotten in deep with this sport so far. Eating up YouTube videos and practicing whenever work and family allows for time. Open to any and all advice.

I live in central Mississippi and except for the constant rain we've had lately, Mississippi allows for outdoor sports to be played pretty much all year. So I'm looking forward to playing more.

Cap Tan - I'm in Hattiesburg, following a similar path loving the sport.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-02-2020, 03:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 287 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Hey Y'all,

Name is Jeremy and I am very new to the sport. My friends have been playing for a long time so I am receiving decent instruction (along with countless hours of youtube)

So far I thoroughly enjoy playing and learning about it. The people I have met when playing are always super nice while I suck it up and slow their rounds down. That has been a lot of the reason this sport is so fun for me. Most everything else I have played in my life has been about "I am the best and only want to look out for myself" where as DG is the exact opposite. It seems like every person I encounter genuinely wants to help me grow and learn, which is AWESOME.

I'm knew to DG as well...in my short experience, buy several identical putters and practice with that. I bought a 5 pack of Wardens off Amazon and no regerts.

Alternatively, Innova Aviar appears to be the basis for all putters. Grab a bunch of DX Aviars and throw. Throw everything. Putts. Backhand. Forehand. etc. More throws = better.

Focus on your technique more than outcome (distance).

Throw, throw, throw. The more you throw, the more you know.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 238 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:

Ask your friends if you can try their putters. That would give you a feel for different types. You need to find out:

Do you like beaded or no bead putters?
Do you like soft, gummy putters or (gonna get laughs or groans with this) hard, stiff putters?
Do you like domey or flat putters?
Do you prefer stable, overstable, understable putters?

Knowing those options will help you in selecting the best putter for you.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Niced 238 Times in 143 Posts

and to add to my previous post....

The Judge is 2/4/0/1. So it is pretty stable.

If you like the Judge, why not stick with it and get newer ones?

Old 09-24-2020, 09:35 AM

Years Playing: 0.2
Courses Played: -1
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Saying hello

Hello everyone. I am new to the sport and the site as well. The site is very helpful and am loving learning the sport. If anyone in the Livingston/Bozeman MT. Area is interested in playing a round on the courses in this area just shoot me a message.