Old 09-26-2019, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,429 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I think what David was saying is that the players' "cut" of the PPV revenues is already baked into the purse by virtue of the fact that PPV enables Innova/USDGC to divert their money into other things. No PPV means Innova is footing more of that bill themselves and as a result would have less money to put into the purse. So unless there's some evidence that a portion of the purse has been diverted in spite of that, the players really have no further claim.

Basically, Innova has X dollars earmarked for the event. That covers media costs, operational costs, added cash to the purse, etc. The less they take out of X to cover media is more out of X that can be funneled to the purse. So the players are going to benefit financially from the pay-per-view, it's just an indirect benefit.
Actually, I was jabbing because players aren't footing the bill for the expenses; they don't need to receive the income generated.

At any rate, I suspect that income is revenue, not profit.

I don't think the players are getting a percentage of spectator ticket sales, water bottle sales, discs sales in the pro shop, or any other revenue generated by the event. They're getting what they're promised by Innova, in the guaranteed payout. And, perhaps, publicity.

Or, to be briefer and more direct:

Giving the players a cut of PPV revenue is silly.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2019, 06:01 PM
Par Member

Niced 70 Times in 36 Posts

For all of you that ripped me for my spoiler complaint, I stand by my statement. My work requires me to use social media, and I would have to constantly turn off these media outlets if I wanted to avoid spoilers all the time.
I'm sorry, but it's easy for these guys to avoid ruining the results of these events for people who have a life and can't watch them right away. Jomez almost ALWAYS throws a spoiler warning before giving anything away too soon, much respect for that, and I always thank them for that.
I think any results within a few days of an event need to have some sort of spoiler. Social media is not as easy to avoid spoilers than simply not turning on a TV or picking up a newspaper.
I don't think that's too much to ask. It really ruins it for those who haven't watched a tournament and suddenly the winner is in your face in your feed. Simple spoiler alert is EASY and MUCH appreciated. If you disagree, then you're an ass :P

Niced: (2)
Old 09-26-2019, 06:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 878 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Why do you keep wanting to make it harder for disc golf to succeed? Almost every idea you put forth would do nothing but drive the sport/game even farther away from becoming successful enough to warrant outside interest.

If anything, the PDGA rules need to be loosened to allow the TD / event organizer to make an actual profit.
Seriously? I have been advocating ppv for years on this forum. Please... and I have ALWAYS been in favor of tds and players making as much money as they can from this sport. Have you seen my posts about players making basically nothing for playing in a 3-5 round tournament, have you seen my posts about (very popular) players making only 10-20k a year from tournament earnings? Have you seen my posts about sponsors possibly not paying pros enough? If I get blasted for wanting pros to make more money in this sport... so be it.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 878 Times in 521 Posts

fwiw..let's see if these 2 peeps chime in..

Should the pros get a piece of the PPV pie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj20300 View Post
Quoted for attention....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
Quoted for attention....

Niced: (1)
Old 09-26-2019, 06:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 56
Niced 53 Times in 32 Posts

Anyone know if the tourney coverage will be somewhere I can watch it afterward? I may not be able to watch it this year (I have to work thursday-friday and I'm attending a wedding), and I'd love to watch it afterward to make a more informed decision about purchasing it next year.

Also, Jaime/John/Terry/etc., do you know the feasibility of getting floating cameras out around the course that would go back to the broadcast booth every hour or so, upload the better shots they recorded, and then shot those shots during the lead card's downtime? If someone is out with the earlier cards, they could get some shots into the broadcast booth before the leaders even tee off to show during downtime for the first few holes, then come back in every hour or so to add more coverage for the downtime during the later holes. I realize this requires more work (because in addition to the cameramen, you need someone to edit the video and add it in on the fly). However, I'd rather sacrifice a camera and have someone do this than have an extra camera on the same card. Not everyone would prefer that, but I know some would.

In other words, split up some of those 8 cameras (or 7 with my idea) over the course, with more on the lead card than anywhere else. The others may be spread out over the course during the early part of the day (perhaps on holes with more highlight-worthy shots, or players that tend to make more highlight-worthy shots (Simon)), and then as the day goes on have those extra cameramen get closer and closer together, with maybe 2 alternately covering the chase card, and 1-2 others here and there as desired?
Old 09-26-2019, 06:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.6
Courses Played: 95
Niced 914 Times in 354 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
fwiw..let's see if these 2 peeps chime in..

Should the pros get a piece of the PPV pie?
Asking them if they'd like to make more money won't prove a thing. I would think the answer is "f***in duh"!

Old 09-26-2019, 06:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,706 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Asking them if they'd like to make more money won't prove a thing. I would think the answer is "f***in duh"!
No ****. Why not ask them if they think they should get a cut of any discs the TD might sell during the day? Or if they should get a cut of lunch sales from the club member running a grill.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,429 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
For all of you that ripped me for my spoiler complaint, I stand by my statement. My work requires me to use social media, and I would have to constantly turn off these media outlets if I wanted to avoid spoilers all the time.
I'm sorry, but it's easy for these guys to avoid ruining the results of these events for people who have a life and can't watch them right away. Jomez almost ALWAYS throws a spoiler warning before giving anything away too soon, much respect for that, and I always thank them for that.
I think any results within a few days of an event need to have some sort of spoiler. Social media is not as easy to avoid spoilers than simply not turning on a TV or picking up a newspaper.
I don't think that's too much to ask. It really ruins it for those who haven't watched a tournament and suddenly the winner is in your face in your feed. Simple spoiler alert is EASY and MUCH appreciated. If you disagree, then you're an ass :P
For how long? A few hours? A day? A week? A month? Who gets to say how long people must avoid publicly talking about event results?

Hey, news travels fast, and sporting event results are news. Not important news, but news nevertheless. People like to chat about them as they happen, and as soon as they're settled.

You're tilting at windmills if you think everyone is going to stop---or hide behind spoiler alerts---to suit your circumstances.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,295 Times in 2,275 Posts

Isnt there already a line in the PDGA membership "fine print" that states entering a tourney means the PDGA/Event can use your likeness how they see fit?

Old 09-26-2019, 06:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,706 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Isnt there already a line in the PDGA membership "fine print" that states entering a tourney means the PDGA/Event can use your likeness how they see fit?
It's a whole section in the Competition Manual.

Quote:
3.06 Tour Player Media and Sponsor Relations
A. All participants agree that the PDGA and its agents may publish photographs and images of their participation at PDGA-sanctioned events.
Nothing really fine about that print.