Old 03-30-2019, 02:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 166 Times in 102 Posts
Default Ticks and permethrin

I live in Pennsylvania and we have a lot of ticks this season. Being that I'm a super mosquito magnet, I worried that maybe I'm also a tick magnet, so I bought some permethrin-treated socks and was wondering if I'm just late to the party here or if this kind of thing has been common knowledge amongst you guys here.

I also bought a spray bottle of it since it seems to be made for camping gear, why not a disc bag? I've already seen pics of folks from around here of ticks found on bags.

But I don't really like Off spray (I did use the wipes a lot last season). Sounds like this permethrin stuff is different though, especially how it is encapsulated into the clothing.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2019, 03:38 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 49 Times in 29 Posts

Deet is mostly useless. Permethrin works, just costs more. I gave up on tick spray about six or five years ago when the population exploded. Lint rollers work pretty well when you get in a patch of wee babies, which happens often lately.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:50 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 591 Times in 316 Posts

I got sick two years ago. My right arm still goes numb from time to time. Protect yourself.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-30-2019, 04:54 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 110 Times in 66 Posts

I live in tick central. Keys:

1) Permethrin treated clothes, socks, shoes, and bags. I buy the spray on type and soak all my items. I will spray all clothes after 4 washes even though they say it lasts 6.

2) Buy a Tick Twister. If you do find one on you, they are the best, safest, and quickest way to get them off you.

3) Get in the habit of putting all your DG clothes right in the washer and take a shower. That really prevents any from attaching.

4) Tick Checks -- get someone to check you over. This is really key.

Good luck. They are nasty little bugger. Since I have done the preceding, I rarely have had any attach. When I have seen them on my clothes, they will simply just fall off and not be able to crawl. Getting your bag is key, since I have often found them on my sides, stomach, and back and I think that attach to the bag before I put them on. Switching to a roller for some of this season so that might help them fro hitching a ride.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 130
Niced 109 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funguy View Post
I live in tick central. Keys:

1) Permethrin treated clothes, socks, shoes, and bags. I buy the spray on type and soak all my items. I will spray all clothes after 4 washes even though they say it lasts 6.

2) Buy a Tick Twister. If you do find one on you, they are the best, safest, and quickest way to get them off you.

3) Get in the habit of putting all your DG clothes right in the washer and take a shower. That really prevents any from attaching.

4) Tick Checks -- get someone to check you over. This is really key.

Good luck. They are nasty little bugger. Since I have done the preceding, I rarely have had any attach. When I have seen them on my clothes, they will simply just fall off and not be able to crawl. Getting your bag is key, since I have often found them on my sides, stomach, and back and I think that attach to the bag before I put them on. Switching to a roller for some of this season so that might help them fro hitching a ride.
Yes on all this -- the disease is way worse than the prevention. Get used to triple checking every time you're in the woods.

Lyme disease is un-fun.

Also, if you do have some whacked-out symptoms (mine were nausea/fever that felt like sea-sickness but I've heard others with way different) that you've never had before after a tick bite go straight to the doctor and take all the antibiotics prescribed.

Disc golfers . . .. tick magnets even though they think it's a misspelling.

Last edited by paulw; 03-30-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: prevention for cure
Old 03-30-2019, 10:24 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,230 Times in 1,045 Posts

funguy knows what's up. The course I'm installing has been murderous with ticks so I've gotten quite adept at avoiding them. Permethrin is the only thing I've tried that actually makes a noticeable impact in repelling them. I spray it on my pants, where my shirt and pants meet, and socks and tuck my pants into my socks and my shirt into my pants. The only other thing I can add that is very key is to wear light colored clothing so that you can do frequent tick checks and spot them easily, especially if they get past your waist. Keep your cats away from permethrin.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-31-2019, 12:06 AM

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

No reason why you can't use both. I treat my clothes with Permethrin (as well as other outdoor items like hammocks / tents / etc) and I also use Deet. Permethrin affects the nervous system in insects, causing muscle spasms, paralysis and death. Deet is just a deterrent.

Side note: Permethrin can stain on some fabrics (google it).

Second the tick twister (makes it much easier / safer to get off)
Old 03-31-2019, 01:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 107
Niced 347 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Yes on all this -- the disease is way worse than the prevention. Get used to triple checking every time you're in the woods.

Lyme disease is un-fun.

Also, if you do have some whacked-out symptoms (mine were nausea/fever that felt like sea-sickness but I've heard others with way different) that you've never had before after a tick bite go straight to the doctor and take all the antibiotics prescribed.

Disc golfers . . .. tick magnets even though they think it's a misspelling.
I had it a couple years ago. My only symptom at all was that I just itched all over. I’m typically not a “scratcher”. But this was driving me nuts. It was everywhere except for my head and my privates.

Went to the dermatologist who recommended a different “skin condition” treatment. Fortunately, just in case, he had me get bloodwork done, too. When my primary care doc reviewed the results in front of me he did a double take, with eyes bulging out of his head, and I knew that the test results weren’t good.

I think they test for 15 reactives and 5 is normally considered a positive result for Lyme. Well, all 15 were positive for me. He said he never saw that before. Ughh.

Anyway, I finished the antibiotic run and never experienced any other symptoms at all. I was very fortunate.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:11 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 49 Times in 29 Posts

Permethrin can be had cheaply in the form of cattle insecticide, found at any farm supply store. You will need to dilute these products and use them carefully. I made my own tick killer for a while but since the nymphs don't spread disease I quit worrying about it. I still get bitten by adult ticks now and then but that's ok. They're doing what they're supposed to do. If the stated statistics regarding Lyme carriers are accurate, I should have been infected many many times by now. Perhaps I have been. However, the odds of some truly serious problem are low, and I'm not interested in seeking protection from every possible disaster.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 209
Niced 316 Times in 170 Posts

Permethrin is great. I always treat my shoes, clothes and the base of my tent if I'm ever playing or camping in areas that are known to have a lot of ticks.

The only thing to keep in mind is really pay attention to the instructions label on the Permethrin bottles. Spray it on your clothing outside and let it dry completely before wearing it. ESPECIALLY if you're also combining it with deet on your skin. I personally try not to combine permethrin and deet.

And as BrotherDave mentioned, permethrin is very toxic to cats. My girlfriend's family did not know this and their cat got quite ill. He didn't die thankfully.