Old 04-17-2018, 11:02 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default One year off, no bad habits, form breakdown

Run-Up: https://streamable.com/81y5m
Standstill: https://streamable.com/7ekby

Hello form gurus of DGCR, I am trying to completely break down my form to be able to throw farther easier (if only it was that easy). I kind of know whats wrong, the main thing that I can notice and I don't know how to describe it but right as I plant my right foot I am already leaning forward. I've tried to correct this issue many times but once I begin the throw I can't not lean forward.

Distances:
Putters: 300
Mids: 300-325
Fairways: 325-400
Distances: 400-425

Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2018, 11:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 197
Niced 1,096 Times in 744 Posts

Yeah, need to shift "from behind you" so you can rotate on a perpetual tilted spiral. You are trying to "shift from in front" and going over top your front hip/pushing spine over from rear leg way too late/weight still back.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:14 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

So i've watched all the videos, I usually have trouble taking away information from the golf videos but these ones were loud and clear what the issue is. A couple of things I took away:
1. When reaching back I am reaching back with my body instead of just rotating my arm back on my spine, this causes me to lunge forward on my throw
2. My X-step foot is turned backwards causing my hips to already be disengaged when going in for the release.
3. I am not transferring my weight from back to front during the throw but after the release.

The X-step is an easy fix, but whenever I try to throw by transferring my weight to my front foot during my throw i seem to collapse at the knee on my front leg. I am not sure if this is because I am not used to balancing this way or because I am transferring wrong, i'll have a form video up shortly. If i'm able to hit 425ft-450ft with this form and barely using my hips how much distance can engaging my hips add?
Old 04-23-2018, 01:16 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

One other thing I noticed when watching a lot of top level form, almost every player rotates off of the ball of their heel. Is that necessary to have big power or just their preference?
Old 04-23-2018, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatsu View Post
If i'm able to hit 425ft-450ft with this form and barely using my hips how much distance can engaging my hips add?
Typically you will notice a big difference in efficiency rather than distance initially. Distance will happen with practice and smoothing things out.

You look rather young and lanky so that favors to you in terms of potential.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
One other thing I noticed when watching a lot of top level form, almost every player rotates off of the ball of their heel. Is that necessary to have big power or just their preference?
Technically it doesn't matter, because for distance you really shouldn't have any foot rotation until after release. You need a firmly planted front foot to post up on and leverage/swing from. IMO heel pivot is easier and safer except on really grippy tees I tend to switch to pivot on the toes and lose distance for the sake of health.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:11 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

This might be the most difficult change i've ever had to make in my form, I can't put my finger on what exactly it is but this just doesn't want to change. I went out and threw a LOT of throws, recording almost all of them trying to change small minute things every single time instead of just one thing at a time. I'm trying not to cherry pick the cleanest looking throw so i've chosen a random one. My distance has definitely gone up, I'm not sure what I fixed but its a consistent 20' more, might just be throwing more though.
Here is a throw with runup:
https://streamable.com/wo68i

and here is one slowly walking and not actually releasing the disc:
https://streamable.com/p8igi
Now, I see a lot of things right with this one right here, I can see that my spine is rotating instead of tilting backwards. As well as what looks to be a tiny amount of weight shifting in a positive way, I feel like this here is a big improvement.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah, slightly better, it's going to feel really strange and have to trust things that might not seem intuitive. Your balance is off in your stride which throws your upper body over top your hips. Need to lead the stride with your weight/butt/hips falling first and then catch yourself dynamically upright like you want to reverse direction back to the start.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:55 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 117 Times in 83 Posts

Shifting from behind and planting closed are really a confusing concept to get down. Your body will just not do it if your trying to throw as far as you can. My form was very similar to yours about a year ago. I had to give up about 75-100' of distance to start getting these concepts down (still a work in progress.) My #1 biggest suggestion is doing the one leg drill. You have to learn to throw off of one leg to have clean form. Film yourself doing it and post it here. This will pretty much force you to start planting closed as well.

Quote:
If i'm able to hit 425ft-450ft with this form and barely using my hips how much distance can engaging my hips add?
If you really want to do a rebuild, I would completely abandon this mentality. You also have to stop focusing on how far your throw as you learn to throw with proper form.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,182 Times in 799 Posts

Yeah be prepared to throw your mids/putters/fairways at like 70% for a while, rather than trying to bust through the 450' mark while working on things. Honestly that distance is the farthest I have seen with that style of form, I don't know what the hard cap is on it, but you've got to be pretty close. It'll be a rebuild to get further, but you'll see efficiency and consistency gains much sooner.

Got to get the shift from behind going, door frame drill and one leg drill I think will help...and hershyzer for leading into the plant. Right now you are opening up early, pushing the upper body forward, and getting all the mass firing around your spine clockwise rather than getting to the front leg and setting yourself up for a leveraged swing with weight on the other side of your spine.

Niced: (1)