Old 04-26-2018, 11:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 58
Niced 94 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
That's the thing about sports that become popular in India and Southeast Asia, there are a whole lot of people in that part of the world...Lots of eyes turns into lots of sponsor money...

Now all we need is DG to get popular in southeast Asia. Can you imagine some of the courses you could build in those jungles...
That would open up the door for the 1st course ever to have a "Beware of Tigers" sign.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-27-2018, 12:06 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 32 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I assume he's referring to Ledgestone 2015 Final 9. Link goes to the worst of it. In JohnE's defense, this hole was a disaster of a bad design and has since been taken out of the course, I believe.
Holy hell that was painful to watch. i honestly don't know what was worse; the poor girl caught on camera missing the garbage can at two feet with her water bottle, or the fact that was indeed a final nine hole, or Johnie losing his composure on such a lame hole.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:18 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 32 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I am not trying to be obtuse, just pragmatic. I honestly believe that this sport will never be big. It is not really good for viewing or spectating. It is unheard of by most of the world and will never be more than a niche sport.....behind activities like bike riding, running, badminton, or horseshoes. You can find videos of top professional competitions in all of the above, but they will never ascend to being anything more than low income touring jobs. It might be an unpopular take, but I have always seen it this way.

But, I do believe that the sport will continue to see nice slow steady increases in casual players.
I agree and disagree with you to an extent. I don't think it is realistic to look at the current state of disc golf and declare we are destined for the big time, however I do think the sport has the potential to be much bigger than it is now. I don't want to write a whole novel explaining every single point I could make in detail but I will say this.

I grew up across the lagoon from Kennedy Space Center. My pops was an engineer out there and I did all the space camps, tours and watched every VIP launch from the Cape side that I could go to. NASA, all the big aerospace companies and the military were and are heavily focused on inspiring the next generation of Cape employees, even well before STEM became a subject of discussion on the national scale.

Today I saw a video on reddit of Philo absolutely blowing the socks off a group of kids just by throwing a stupid piece of plastic and that gives me hope. This is EXACTLY the type of reaction all that outreach is going for, and if the multi-billion (multi-trillion worldwide) industry is doing the exact same thing that has to amount to something.

Here is the link to the vid is anyone is interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/co...e_it_sound_on/

Niced: (2)
Old 04-27-2018, 02:26 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 54 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSeagal View Post
... i honestly don't know what was worse; the poor girl caught on camera missing the garbage can at two feet with her water bottle, or...
Yep. I felt sorry for her too, for it to be caught on camera.

Last edited by hiflyer; 04-27-2018 at 02:27 AM. Reason: ]
Old 04-27-2018, 07:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 98
Niced 103 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDABRUSH View Post
Wow. 300 grand for a game that reminds me of netting Butterflies? Dude is living the dream.
Had a badminton class in college. It's not like the backyard BBQ with the family kind of stuff. Playing "real" badminton is intense.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 95 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Turtlecreek is no more...
I know, he should still stay there. No one will film him.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 197
Niced 1,096 Times in 744 Posts

Quote:
That's the thing about sports that become popular in India and Southeast Asia, there are a whole lot of people in that part of the world...Lots of eyes turns into lots of sponsor money...

Now all we need is DG to get popular in southeast Asia. Can you imagine some of the courses you could build in those jungles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDABRUSH View Post
That would open up the door for the 1st course ever to have a "Beware of Tigers" sign.
timg would have to add a course Death Wish List feature, and we would have a thread titled, Beware the hole on 8, I stuck a King Cobra in it.

Niced: (2)

Old 04-27-2018, 11:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 169
Niced 35 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
timg would have to add a course Death Wish List feature, and we would have a thread titled, Beware the hole on 8, I stuck a King Cobra in it.