Old 03-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 83
Niced 12 Times in 7 Posts

I got mine in today and since I'm on spring break I was able to use it. I previously had a Hive basket. The Topeakmart came in the exact same packaging as the Hive. Inspecting the pieces I found the only difference between the two is how the poles fit together. On the Hive, they screw together. On this basket, they are held by those push pins (not sure what else to call them, think the pins that change the sizes of crutches) as well as wingnut set screws. I was concerned about this, but found no wobble between the pieces once fully assembled.

Getting the basket set up took a little longer than it did with the Hive. The instructions call for 4 wingnut set screws, mine only came with 2. The instructions call for 1 short pole and 1 tall poll, mine came with 2 of each. However, this was actually very beneficial. Even though the instructions had places to put the 4 set screws, only two were used in reality. Having two longer poles was also nice, as I remembered my Hive sitting a little lower than I liked. The directions say to put the shorter pole beneath the basket, but I was able to use a long pole beneath it due to the extra pieces. This brought the whole basket up another 2 inches.

As I stated earlier, setting up the basket took a little longer. This was partly due to the confusion of the "missing" screws, and partly due to setting the basket up itself. The basket took some finesse (force) with a hammer and a block of wood to get it over the bottom pole. Once it was on and the quick release pin set it was perfectly snug. No tools are needed for the Hive basket.

I took it outside and put 60 putts or so through the basket. I had one spit out where it hit the pole and bounced straight back (soft putters). Other than that it caught very well for a $70 basket. It also sounds very nice too, a must for metal baskets. Weakside putts (L side for RHBH) miss a little more than they would on an expensive basket, but I had the same problem with the Hive basket. The chains are fine but not great, but this is also the easiest part to upgrade. I will keep mine stock as I like the basket being light enough that I can move it back into the garage to keep it out of the weather. There was no wobble noticed during putting practice

I really like my Hive basket. With the extra long pole I received making the basket sit higher, this basket was better than the Hive. If others are not as lucky and do not get the other poles, I'd conclude by saying this basket is 95% of the Hive for 60% of the price. Definitely worth the $71.99 with free shipping from Amazon.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

What I see says $82.99 + free shipping. Did the price go up?
Old 03-18-2016, 12:30 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,112 Times in 746 Posts

Amazon prices are like the stock market.. Lol
Old 03-18-2016, 01:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,258 Times in 548 Posts

So you may or may not get the appropriate parts to actually assemble it?

Neat.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:30 PM
Bogey Member

I got the appropriate parts plus extra
Old 03-19-2016, 08:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,258 Times in 548 Posts

Well, you said you were missing wingnuts, or the instructions were incorrect, and they gave twice as many poles as needed.
Sorry, but that doesn't instill a bunch of confidence.

I'm not dogging your basket. I hope it works well and you enjoy it.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:19 PM
Bogey Member

No offense taken. If I had a need for 2 baskets I would buy another one. Interested to see if anyone else has the same experience as me with the extra poles.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:45 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

Looks exactly like the discmania lite basket.
I have one (discmania lite) catches well for what it is - I got it new for $70 and don't think it is worth any more than that.
I also have the 24 chain hive basket ($115) and it is way better - catches better, heavier chain, more chains, slightly heavier construction.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 42
Niced 92 Times in 57 Posts

Mine had the correct poles. I set it up wrong the first time and wondered why the chains were touching the bottom of the basket. Oops. I haven't putted a bunch on mine yet, but it seems to catch pretty well. The shallow basket is probably my biggest complaint, but if you are relying on a deep basket to keep a putt in it probably wasn't a very good putt to begin with. The chains do seem to be made of heavy-duty paperclips, but I am sure this is a major way of keeping the cost down. The basket is very light, which is nice for me because for now I am moving it around a decent amount. It was easy to put together, and it seems to be pretty solid even though I haven't tightened any of the wingnuts. It was very windy this weekend and the basket didn't fall over. Overall I am quite happy with the purchase for $72. $82 is still reasonable, but getting closer to where I would just spend an extra $20-30 on a slightly better basket.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 7
Niced 205 Times in 137 Posts
Default My First Necro Bump

I added this inexpensive, (topeakmart ) knock-off basket to the backyard in July, got the cross chain model. After ~ 5,000 throws at it, here are my thoughts.

Pros:
1 - Price was right. $66.71 USD delivered to the door.
2 - Ultra light at less than 21 lbs.
3 - Catches well for what it is with a variety of discs and weights.
4 - Wind flag helps me a lot.

Cons:
1 - Not weather resistant at all, needs to be under cover even on clear night.
2 - Non galvanized, non welded chains lightly chew up both premium and base discs.

Neutral:
1 - 5 cm (2") shorter than minimum regulation for Basic 'Basket - Rim Height above grade' spec. A Pro for indoor use, Con for outdoors.
2 - 17 cm (6.7") smaller than minimum reg for Basic 'Deflector Support - Required Diameter' spec. Makes the chains more like a Marksman than my local course basket. Pro for helping with accuracy, Con because I like to hear 'clang', especially from a distance and I could certainly use the extra 17 cm.