Old 06-14-2017, 12:19 PM

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 8 Posts
Question Sports Chiropractor Who Sponsors Alex Geisinger

Hey guys, Dr. Jeremy Marty here. My brother Dr. Josh and I have been playing for about 4 years now and love the sport. We are chiropractors in Lakeville, MN who sponsor Alex Geisinger. We are wondering what the disc golf community would find useful as far as a sports performance or injury prevention guide. Injuries are pretty common in disc golf, with 80% of players reporting injuries and as many as 1 in 8 needing surgery. We're looking to shoot a couple of videos with Alex or put together some warmup routines/stretches etc. Let us know what you'd find useful whether it's videos, blog posts/articles, or something else entirely. You can check out a couple of things we do for disc golfers in this video on our Instagram page. I'll try to check this post as often as I can today but no promises on quick responses.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Doctor Disc Golf; 06-14-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 216
Niced 354 Times in 184 Posts

I've been having problems with my piriformis muscle flaring up some days. Could very well be something to do with how I throw those days, could be lack of stretching, could be both. That muscle is impossible to massage as far as I'm concerned and only way to get to it is through stretching. I try to stretch it for a few minutes before starting my first round now to help get it warmed up/loose. I only know of one stretch for it - where I sit down and bring my knee up to my chest while my foot crosses over to opposite side of the body. If there are more stretches that I could be doing that would be helpful to know. Also, I'm not sure what is causing the pain to begin with - could be me not pivoting properly during the weight transfer, could be something else. If you guys are familiar with that region it would be great to explain what that muscle does and how it can get overworked/injured.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:46 PM

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 41
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Tennis elbow!!

Niced: (1)
Old 06-14-2017, 12:47 PM

Hey notroman,

Sounds like you've had that muscle checked out already but gotta put the disclaimer in here
***internet advice is no substitute for a proper examination with a medical professional***

The Piriformis is actually a very common disc golf injury! It's a lateral/external rotator of the hip (think how your foot/leg rotates outward during the follow through on a backhand throw) and many players injure it during the bracing or plant portion of the throw. My suspicion is that your timing and follow through is just a little bit off and its been causing extra wear and tear on that muscle throughout the many years you've been playing. You have any form videos that you've uploaded at all?

I assume you've been doing a modified pigeon pose to stretch it? A couple of other things you can do are make sure you don't keep your wallet in your back pocket and try sitting on a tennis/lacrosse/racquetball and rolling around on the tight muscle to work out some of the tension. It'll hurt while you're working it out but it'll be better in the long run. A deep tissue massage could also be really beneficial just to have someone really dig in and work out that muscle. Make sure to ask for a therapeutic massage though and not just a relaxation/feel good massage.

Fun fact about the Piriformis - in about 20% of people, the Sciatic nerve runs through the muscle instead of underneath it. Those people tend to get a lot of sciatica type pain from that muscle being tight and can fix their sciatica by working on that muscle too.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 135
Niced 1,002 Times in 533 Posts

Just wanna say it was fun watching Alex crush the back back 9 at Token in the MCO final 9 (22). He was out-driving everyone else by 100' on some holes.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,602 Times in 1,650 Posts

A video or article with pictures for your recommended pre-throwing stretches would be appreciated, and I know you said that's in the plans. I see so many people walk from the car to the first tee, then throw with bad form and all their effort...I'm not surprised there are lots of people with muscle strains and other pain.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,466 Times in 754 Posts

Since there are a lot of us without clean form, how about a video or some kind of visual media explaining the most common mistakes DGers make and the strain it puts on our body? If people knew what kind of damage they're doing to their bodies, the more likely they'll be to fix their form to ensure they can throw frisbees for the rest of their life.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 156
Niced 645 Times in 270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabereif View Post
Tennis elbow!!
I will 2nd this. I was out 3 months with this last winter.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabereif View Post
Tennis elbow!!
***internet advice is no substitute for a proper examination with a medical professional***

Is it only when you're playing? What do you do for work? Repetitive job?

There's a couple pictures on our website that show the muscles involved and a test to diagnose yourself at home. The biggest thing with tennis elbow is giving it time to heal. Whatever repetitive action that's causing your pain is actually tearing away tiny pieces where the muscle/tendon attaches to the bone. Those tennis elbow bands you see people wear are actually EXTREMELY effective at helping tennis elbow. They're usually under $15 at Target, Walmart, or any sporting goods store. It gives the muscle an artificial insertion point and lets the bone/tendon/muscle junction heal up. Try wearing one of those for a couple weeks and ice your elbow a ton and you should see a big improvement. Just make sure to put the brace/strap on the actual muscle belly below where you're feeling the pain. You should be able to grab things and throw pretty much pain-free while wearing the brace. The last picture on our website kinda shows where the brace should go in comparison to where you're feeling the pain. Things like Graston or Ultrsound/Stim in office can help speed up the process too but you'll probably see a huge improvement just through home care.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonty View Post
I will 2nd this. I was out 3 months with this last winter.
Hey Jeff,

See my reply to gabereif. We might just have to put together a video on Tennis Elbow if its in high demand!