#31  
Old 01-26-2020, 06:55 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,218
Niced 2,736 Times in 1,302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18" - A. Einstein

IMO, "common sense" is just what people use to dress up their opinions when they have nothing else to put on them. In this case you elevate your own opinion to "common sense" in an effort to characterize it as being better than anyone else's when, just like everyone else, it's just the opinion of a single person - and in this case, it's an opinion about something entirely subjective.
Disagree. Common sense is what a reasonably informed (but not necessarily an expert) person would think.

Saying something is common sense doesn't necessarily mean a person can't support their point of view. It just implies they don't think it's necessary to, because it should be obvious.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-26-2020, 07:17 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,218
Niced 2,736 Times in 1,302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Agreed. Simply adding up the ratings for all the courses on site makes way more sense.
Probably better than the current system but I can't get completely on board with that.

Two 4.0 courses = 8 vs. Three 3.0 courses =9.
Guess it all depends on what each person values.
If all you're doing is bagging courses, I guess a 3x 3.0 is better.

But to me, it's not even close. I want to hit courses if I think they're 4+. Those are courses I plan my trips around. Not saying I don't or won't play 3.0's away from home, but they're not the reason I travel, and I'm certainly not planning my trip around them.

FWIW, I can't fathom IDGC not being a higher rated destination. It's one of the best DG experiences I've ever had.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-26-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-26-2020, 07:49 PM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is online now
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 702
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,394
Niced 1,811 Times in 819 Posts
Default

I would suggest that a site with 2 courses may not feel like a true destination but simply two nearby courses, especially if there's no lodging on site. Perhaps these exactly 2-course complexes should have their own ranking? And those that do have lodging options like Justin Trails, would perhaps be ranked higher, presuming the courses in combination with lodging merited it.

Then, sites with a minimum of 3 courses would be ranked as destination locations. Course clusters could also be included in this ranking. Not sure what to consider as a cluster diameter but perhaps a 10-mile diameter circle (or maybe just 5-mile diameter) with at least three 18-hole courses could be considered a "destination." For example, Charlotte might have two or even three cluster destinations.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-26-2020, 08:06 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,218
Niced 2,736 Times in 1,302 Posts
Default

Truth is.... it's complicated, and it all depends who wants to use it for what.

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-26-2020, 08:11 PM
Doofenshmirtz's Avatar
Doofenshmirtz Doofenshmirtz is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,018
Niced 339 Times in 171 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Saying something is common sense doesn't necessarily mean a person can't support their point of view. It just implies they don't think it's necessary to, because it should be obvious.
There's nothing like not supporting your point of view to argue that you cannot.

And, in this case, doing so with respect to an undeniably subjective subject is silly beyond measure. It's like arguing that "common sense" should inform everyone that purple is the best color.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-26-2020, 08:13 PM
Mando's Avatar
Mando Mando is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 116
Posts: 1,822
Niced 249 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I would suggest that a site with 2 courses may not feel like a true destination but simply two nearby courses, especially if there's no lodging on site. Perhaps these exactly 2-course complexes should have their own ranking? And those that do have lodging options like Justin Trails, would perhaps be ranked higher, presuming the courses in combination with lodging merited it.

Then, sites with a minimum of 3 courses would be ranked as destination locations. Course clusters could also be included in this ranking. Not sure what to consider as a cluster diameter but perhaps a 10-mile diameter circle (or maybe just 5-mile diameter) with at least three 18-hole courses could be considered a "destination." For example, Charlotte might have two or even three cluster destinations.
That sounds perfectly reasonable. A destination in my mind would be a place to spend at least two days.
Btw, the sum ratings of the 5 Highbridge courses is 21.23, which dwarfs the competition... but is ranked #15 as a destination ?

Last edited by Mando; 01-26-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-26-2020, 08:20 PM
Mando's Avatar
Mando Mando is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 116
Posts: 1,822
Niced 249 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
That there are 14 others that are better than Highbridge?
Common sense says otherwise...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-26-2020, 08:24 PM
SonicGuy's Avatar
SonicGuy SonicGuy is online now
Banned but not forgotten
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,906
Niced 601 Times in 321 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
People just need to pay me to travel to all these courses and review them. It's the only fair solution.
Honestly this is where we need the sport to go. The USGA sends officials to rate slope on every course. I think the PDGA should invest in this type of thing. Have every course officially "sloped", and also have some sort of review for quality. Charge private courses a fee for the privilege.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-26-2020, 08:25 PM
tallpaul's Avatar
tallpaul tallpaul is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Years Playing: 31.8
Courses Played: 913
Posts: 2,647
Niced 104 Times in 53 Posts
Default

There are no purple baskets at High Bridge.

There are contradictory elements here!

There are no purple baskets at IDGC for that matter either! WTF!

*Cues Cgkdisc regarding purple basket within' the IDGC basket collection area?*

Last edited by tallpaul; 01-26-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
 

  #40  
Old 01-26-2020, 08:31 PM
Mando's Avatar
Mando Mando is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 116
Posts: 1,822
Niced 249 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Probably better than the current system but I can't get completely on board with that.

Two 4.0 courses = 8 vs. Three 3.0 courses =9.
Guess it all depends on what each person values.
If all you're doing is bagging courses, I guess a 3x 3.0 is better.

But to me, it's not even close. I want to hit courses if I think they're 4+. Those are courses I plan my trips around. Not saying I don't or won't play 3.0's away from home, but they're not the reason I travel, and I'm certainly not planning my trip around them.

FWIW, I can't fathom IDGC not being a higher rated destination. It's one of the best DG experiences I've ever had.
Who would build 3 average ( 3.0 rated) courses on one site ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Redundancy of reviewing Top Rated Courses LaserGlide68 General Disc Golf Chat 46 12-11-2017 12:24 PM
Your personal top 5 to 10 courses and how and why you rated them that way... apdrvya Disc Golf Courses 286 08-14-2017 11:18 AM
Do top rated courses produce the best players? discgolfer99 Course Development 60 02-21-2011 04:13 PM
Two MN courses in the top rated list!! Texconsinite Disc Golf Courses 10 07-26-2009 07:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.