* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,736 Times in 1,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18" - A. Einstein

IMO, "common sense" is just what people use to dress up their opinions when they have nothing else to put on them. In this case you elevate your own opinion to "common sense" in an effort to characterize it as being better than anyone else's when, just like everyone else, it's just the opinion of a single person - and in this case, it's an opinion about something entirely subjective.
Disagree. Common sense is what a reasonably informed (but not necessarily an expert) person would think.

Saying something is common sense doesn't necessarily mean a person can't support their point of view. It just implies they don't think it's necessary to, because it should be obvious.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Agreed. Simply adding up the ratings for all the courses on site makes way more sense.
Probably better than the current system but I can't get completely on board with that.

Two 4.0 courses = 8 vs. Three 3.0 courses =9.
Guess it all depends on what each person values.
If all you're doing is bagging courses, I guess a 3x 3.0 is better.

But to me, it's not even close. I want to hit courses if I think they're 4+. Those are courses I plan my trips around. Not saying I don't or won't play 3.0's away from home, but they're not the reason I travel, and I'm certainly not planning my trip around them.

FWIW, I can't fathom IDGC not being a higher rated destination. It's one of the best DG experiences I've ever had.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-26-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:49 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 702
Niced 1,811 Times in 819 Posts

I would suggest that a site with 2 courses may not feel like a true destination but simply two nearby courses, especially if there's no lodging on site. Perhaps these exactly 2-course complexes should have their own ranking? And those that do have lodging options like Justin Trails, would perhaps be ranked higher, presuming the courses in combination with lodging merited it.

Then, sites with a minimum of 3 courses would be ranked as destination locations. Course clusters could also be included in this ranking. Not sure what to consider as a cluster diameter but perhaps a 10-mile diameter circle (or maybe just 5-mile diameter) with at least three 18-hole courses could be considered a "destination." For example, Charlotte might have two or even three cluster destinations.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Truth is.... it's complicated, and it all depends who wants to use it for what.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-26-2020, 08:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 96
Niced 339 Times in 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Saying something is common sense doesn't necessarily mean a person can't support their point of view. It just implies they don't think it's necessary to, because it should be obvious.
There's nothing like not supporting your point of view to argue that you cannot.

And, in this case, doing so with respect to an undeniably subjective subject is silly beyond measure. It's like arguing that "common sense" should inform everyone that purple is the best color.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 116
Niced 249 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I would suggest that a site with 2 courses may not feel like a true destination but simply two nearby courses, especially if there's no lodging on site. Perhaps these exactly 2-course complexes should have their own ranking? And those that do have lodging options like Justin Trails, would perhaps be ranked higher, presuming the courses in combination with lodging merited it.

Then, sites with a minimum of 3 courses would be ranked as destination locations. Course clusters could also be included in this ranking. Not sure what to consider as a cluster diameter but perhaps a 10-mile diameter circle (or maybe just 5-mile diameter) with at least three 18-hole courses could be considered a "destination." For example, Charlotte might have two or even three cluster destinations.
That sounds perfectly reasonable. A destination in my mind would be a place to spend at least two days.
Btw, the sum ratings of the 5 Highbridge courses is 21.23, which dwarfs the competition... but is ranked #15 as a destination ?

Last edited by Mando; 01-26-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
That there are 14 others that are better than Highbridge?
Common sense says otherwise...
Old 01-26-2020, 08:24 PM
Banned but not forgotten

Niced 601 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
People just need to pay me to travel to all these courses and review them. It's the only fair solution.
Honestly this is where we need the sport to go. The USGA sends officials to rate slope on every course. I think the PDGA should invest in this type of thing. Have every course officially "sloped", and also have some sort of review for quality. Charge private courses a fee for the privilege.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.8
Courses Played: 913
Niced 104 Times in 53 Posts

There are no purple baskets at High Bridge.

There are contradictory elements here!

There are no purple baskets at IDGC for that matter either! WTF!

*Cues Cgkdisc regarding purple basket within' the IDGC basket collection area?*

Last edited by tallpaul; 01-26-2020 at 08:27 PM.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Probably better than the current system but I can't get completely on board with that.

Two 4.0 courses = 8 vs. Three 3.0 courses =9.
Guess it all depends on what each person values.
If all you're doing is bagging courses, I guess a 3x 3.0 is better.

But to me, it's not even close. I want to hit courses if I think they're 4+. Those are courses I plan my trips around. Not saying I don't or won't play 3.0's away from home, but they're not the reason I travel, and I'm certainly not planning my trip around them.

FWIW, I can't fathom IDGC not being a higher rated destination. It's one of the best DG experiences I've ever had.
Who would build 3 average ( 3.0 rated) courses on one site ?