Old 08-02-2018, 03:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,606 Times in 1,650 Posts

It's a fundamental concept change rather than just an alignment thing. In the door frame drill pay very specific attention to where the tension should be in the rear leg. While you're turning back, your left hip/butt should rotate toward the target and actually move slightly closer to the target. You don't just turn the right hip away while keeping the left hip in place, you rotate around your spine so as the right hip moves back the left hip moves targetward.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 38
Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
It's a fundamental concept change rather than just an alignment thing. In the door frame drill pay very specific attention to where the tension should be in the rear leg. While you're turning back, your left hip/butt should rotate toward the target and actually move slightly closer to the target. You don't just turn the right hip away while keeping the left hip in place, you rotate around your spine so as the right hip moves back the left hip moves targetward.
Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate your input tremendously.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,233 Times in 1,973 Posts

Yeah, I agree with SP, it's a turning back further thing, staying closed into the plant/weightshift or "from behind you" - watch video in post #6 several times and follow along with SC doing what he does.

Your x-step is too long and throwing you off balance as well as your rear arm wreaking havoc.

You are also hugging yourself.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Yeah, I agree with SP, it's a turning back further thing, staying closed into the plant/weightshift or "from behind you" - watch video in post #6 several times and follow along with SC doing what he does.

Your x-step is too long and throwing you off balance as well as your rear arm wreaking havoc.

You are also hugging yourself.

I did exactly what you recommended and watched that video several times while mimicking SC and really started to feel what the swing should feel like. One thing that helped was sort of locking my shoulder in place during the hit/swing and I started generating A LOT more arm speed. I think that video helped my ball golf swing too lol.

Anyways, thanks again for taking the time to help. Appreciate you very much. I'll keep working on it and will post an update somewhere down the line.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:38 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post

You are also hugging yourself
I did exactly what you recommended and watched that video several times while mimicking SC and really started to feel what the swing should feel like. One thing that helped was sort of locking my shoulder in place during the hit/swing and I started generating A LOT more arm speed. I think that video helped my ball golf swing too lol.

Anyways, thanks again for taking the time to help. Appreciate you very much. I'll keep working on it and will post an update somewhere down the line.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

SW, I've really been trying to internalize everything that you pointed out in your post and have a question.

I had the privilege of following the lead card at the GLO a couple weeks ago and took an awesome video of one of Paul's drives from the side. You had told me that my off arm was "wreaking havoc", so I payed close attention to Paul's off arm and realized that as he pulls the disc he is pulling on the outside of his off arm that is tucked in tight to his body (pause at 17 seconds): https://youtu.be/kUPMB4JWGlE?t=17s
I've noticed that Paige also gets into the same exact position during her throw (47 seconds):https://youtu.be/i26nO6yus4E?t=47s

My question is, if someone can get their off arm into that position during the swing does it make it impossible to round? Can I kill two birds with one stone by concentrating on engaging my off arm in the same manner and effectively fix my rounding issue simultaneously?
Old 08-06-2018, 10:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,233 Times in 1,973 Posts

I'd say getting the rear arm forward into the body/brace makes it harder to round as it clears out of the way of the swing and gives it more space to swing through the center. Rounding happens when the upper arm lags too far behind the shoulder and the angle collapses too narrow to swing the lower arm/disc into your center and change arc direction.

Rear Arm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90#t=8m45s

What to do with Rear Arm:
Old 09-19-2018, 01:28 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

Ok, I've been nursing a sprained ankle for the last few weeks, hence the brace in these videos, but prior to the sprain I had been doing a lot of reciprocating dingle arm drills with a monkey wrench, kick the can drills and watching the SC swing from behind video like crazy.

I got out to the field today with some neutral mids and putters to do some one leg drills for the first time and had some pretty decent results. I think I have mostly fixed my lazy off arm which seems to have had some ripple effects as I was throwing neutral mids as far or further than I would with a run-up. My two putters were going 250 on average and I consistently threw my mids about 280ish, which is where I top out at with a run up. I had a few throws that even went 300, which is awesome for me throwing a mid.

The downside is that I was having some plane issues throwing over top here and there and turning it over, some unintentional hyzers and a few very nose up throws. Overall, I feel like I'm making progress, but wanted to throw these videos up so you guys can tell me what I'm doing right, what I need to keep working on, and most importantly, the best way to fix my flaws. Thanks in advance!

Rear: https://youtu.be/cKsIz9v4pvA

Side: https://youtu.be/q-ZJ7DkZObw
Old 09-19-2018, 01:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,606 Times in 1,650 Posts

I think you need a bit more knee bend so your leg is more centered over your foot...right now the leg is kind of locked out and your butt is behind your heels too much to the right side of the teepad, so when you extend the plant leg your weight is behind the heel and you get yanked out of position to the right. So more athletic/balanced stance over feet setting up.

Also move along your stance line rather than to the target/through your body, I think this is why you're pre-opening the plant foot and getting yanked right a bit.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:56 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I think you need a bit more knee bend so your leg is more centered over your foot...right now the leg is kind of locked out and your butt is behind your heels too much to the right side of the teepad, so when you extend the plant leg your weight is behind the heel and you get yanked out of position to the right. So more athletic/balanced stance over feet setting up.

Also move along your stance line rather than to the target/through your body, I think this is why you're pre-opening the plant foot and getting yanked right a bit.

Thank you, SP. I was completely thinking about the diagonal stance video as you see me rocking back and forth trying to find a rhythm before I swing. I will keep working on that.

Regarding butt/heel placement, I'm a little confused. Specifically:
Quote:
your butt is behind your heels too much to the right side of the teepad,
Are you saying that I need to lead with my rear butt more to help facilitate a better weight shift thus getting my weight off my rear heel and the result will be a straight shot/not yanked?

Also, I am curious if I am finally shifting my weight from behind. By getting my off arm fixed, I can now feel it activating my hips more on a good throw, but am not sure if I've fixed my shifting from in front issue.