Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber99 View Post
1. 166g STAR Shryke
2. 150g Starlite Boss
3. 150g Champ Mamba
4. 162g Champ Tern
5. 144g Starlite Wraith
6. 162g Westside Tournament Destiny

These are currently in the bag. Used for crushing backhand throws consistantly to 325 and sometimes beyond.

I need a little lighter disc for my 60 year old arm speed !!
Mambas are shockingly long. Really flippy and wild, but long. The Mystere is too.

I've had poor luck with starlite discs. I'll get the occasional 450' bomb with them, followed by a ton of roll overs. Unless I have a good tailwind I won't even mess with blizzard or starlite.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2019, 02:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 12
Niced 490 Times in 349 Posts

1 Star Shryke
2 S Pharoah/Champ Shryke
3 Opto Ballista
4 Opto Raketen
5 Star Tern
6 Champ Tern
7 G* Destroyer
8 Pro Destroyer
9 Star Destroyer
10 Star Vulcan
Old 04-02-2019, 08:15 AM

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
All 3, but the Shryke I bag is a G*. I've found that champ Shrykes are the shortest, but they're still pretty damn long.

G*s are flat out unbelievable.
Thanks, I'll give one a shot. The Star I have is a little squirrely to make the bag, but I like how they feel and fly!
Old 04-02-2019, 09:24 AM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,367 Times in 1,726 Posts

My longest disc is a Starlite Boss, but it's so flippy and inconsistent that I don't bag it.

Next would be the I-blend Pharaoh/Pro Shryke and lighter weight Terns.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:13 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 282 Times in 180 Posts

G* Colossus has net me some of the biggest drives, but again. If you put too much mustard on the throw, it will soar to the right and never come back. Pure distance vs controllable golf line distance are two very different categories. The crank for my arm speed is perfect for control. The Colossus, shryke, and nuke ss have the biggest distance potential that i have tried yet.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-02-2019, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 802 Times in 624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
1 Star Shryke
2 S Pharoah/Champ Shryke
3 Opto Ballista
4 Opto Raketen
5 Star Tern
6 Champ Tern
7 G* Destroyer
8 Pro Destroyer
9 Star Destroyer
10 Star Vulcan
Good list. I totally forgot about the Vulcan. I should have made room in my top 10 for that one. Really a long bomber. A good Vulcan might even be enough to grab a top 3 spot.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
G* Colossus has net me some of the biggest drives, but again. If you put too much mustard on the throw, it will soar to the right and never come back. Pure distance vs controllable golf line distance are two very different categories. The crank for my arm speed is perfect for control. The Colossus, shryke, and nuke ss have the biggest distance potential that i have tried yet.
I agree on the Colossus. Very long mold, but a little finicky. If you throw it with the wrong angle or too hard the disc will turn and burn pretty hard. Not a lot of hard late fade to bring it back either.

Nuke SS is ridiculously long, but very hard to control. Its another disc that has a very fine window of effectiveness. If you overthrow it even a hair it bombs right. I tried to bag a Nuke SS at one point, but I had to pull it out after way too many flipped drives. It is fully capable of 450' lasers though.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:22 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 282 Times in 180 Posts

I just don’t think the high speed flippy drivers are worth it in the long run / everyday use. Sometimes they may give you a birdie look on a hole you can’t normally reach... but more than half the time they go haywire into OB or cut roll short and you end up taking bogey. Unless you have been working with that Disc and the angles for a long time and have it dialed. Throw some wind in there and it all goes out the window.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:56 PM

Niced 10 Times in 8 Posts

Starlite plastic is fine when new and goes downhill fast with use. I replace them when they get flippy and unpredictable.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
I just don’t think the high speed flippy drivers are worth it in the long run / everyday use. Sometimes they may give you a birdie look on a hole you can’t normally reach... but more than half the time they go haywire into OB or cut roll short and you end up taking bogey. Unless you have been working with that Disc and the angles for a long time and have it dialed. Throw some wind in there and it all goes out the window.
I agree. Of the discs I listed, I only bag the Shryke. I don't use it a ton, but it still gets some action on long, open holes if there isn't a headwind.

I'm fully willing to give up the extra distance all those discs provide and throw a controlled Destroyer or Boss shot on most holes.

I do enjoy playing with all those understable discs in the field though. Working on release angles for hyzerflip bombs. You're right that when the wind blows accuracy/consistency go away with any flippy molds.

Back in my less informed days I took many a bogey from throwing horrible shots with understable discs thinking I'd just bomb them on every hole and reach the basket.