Old 12-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.9
Courses Played: 373
Niced 1,820 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
Quick question about "they".

What if "they" are holding "us" back? What I mean is, we have a few board members & course volunteers that cannot be persuaded to evolve with the rest of us/the sport/community. I'm talking about prioritizing phone #s over email addresses, Rolodex over database, MS Word flyers instead of Adobe, Club Web instead of social media, on-site cash registration vs pre-reg with digital payment.

It is true that it only takes a couple to spoil the bunch, so I am wondering how some of you, that have been "they" for a long time have "fired" volunteers that continue to "help" the Club instead of stepping aside for someone younger & hungrier?

Or, in other words, they refuse to evolve, which creates dissension in our ranks, distracts us from important work, and keeps the Club from realizing our true potential.
Their time will pass, they will fade away soon enough.

Then, you will be the one "holding back" the club by insisting on using old-fashioned methods like database, Adobe, social media, and pre-reg with digital payment, using a clunky old piece of technology you call a smart phone.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 12-30-2019, 06:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 557 Times in 214 Posts

Quote:

What if "they" are holding "us" back? What I mean is, we have a few board members & course volunteers that cannot be persuaded to evolve with the rest of us/the sport/community. I'm talking about prioritizing phone #s over email addresses, Rolodex over database, MS Word flyers instead of Adobe, Club Web instead of social media, on-site cash registration vs pre-reg with digital payment.

It is true that it only takes a couple to spoil the bunch, so I am wondering how some of you, that have been "they" for a long time have "fired" volunteers that continue to "help" the Club instead of stepping aside for someone younger & hungrier?

Or, in other words, they refuse to evolve, which creates dissension in our ranks, distracts us from important work, and keeps the Club from realizing our true potential.

I'll admit that i was one of They that embraced cash registration and club website(with a forum like DGCR) but I've seen the light and now use online payments and social media to its full potential.

Our Board members(DisCap) serve three year terms and then could be replaced with They who are "more evolved", as you put it. Or you can be persistent, patient and creative with how you present these new ideas and hope they see the light.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 140
Niced 479 Times in 215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Mr. Yellowfin,
A tough question for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Their time will pass, they will fade away soon enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAnhyzer View Post
I'll admit that i was one of They that embraced cash registration and club website(with a forum like DGCR) but I've seen the light and now use online payments and social media to its full potential.
Thanks for the feedback. Please allow me to clarify that I do appreciate the current volunteers.

Among issues already described, they're also scaring off new volunteers by refusing to listen to new ideas...

I want the best of both worlds, historical context & youthful exuberance. How do I balance both?
Old 12-30-2019, 07:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,411 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Please allow me to clarify that I do appreciate the current volunteers.

Among issues already described, they're also scaring off new volunteers by refusing to listen to new ideas...

I want the best of both worlds, historical context & youthful exuberance. How do I balance both?
parliamentary process is where it's at.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-30-2019, 08:39 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.9
Courses Played: 373
Niced 1,820 Times in 898 Posts

Serious response.

Realize that all clubs (including the PDGA) have already heard about enough good ideas to fully utilize all available resources. So, you can't expect anyone to do anything more than they are now.

To have a chance, put together a team that will do all the extra work. Without requiring any changes on behalf of those who don't want to go along.

Perhaps you could set things up so the old guard can continue their ways and you can do the modern things. Maybe collect Paypal ahead of time and pay the cash for all the pre-reg players on site.

Focus on increasing, not on changing.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-30-2019, 11:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 140
Niced 479 Times in 215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
parliamentary process is where it's at.
Agreed, however, the key to an effective parliament is that each pull their own weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Serious response.

Realize that all clubs (including the PDGA) have already heard about enough good ideas to fully utilize all available resources. So, you can't expect anyone to do anything more than they are now.

To have a chance, put together a team that will do all the extra work. Without requiring any changes on behalf of those who don't want to go along.

Perhaps you could set things up so the old guard can continue their ways and you can do the modern things. Maybe collect Paypal ahead of time and pay the cash for all the pre-reg players on site.

Focus on increasing, not on changing.
Year 1 was listening. 2 was an attempt to blend old with new & bring the club up to current standards for "big" clubs. Year 3 will be policy setting & building infrastructure so year 4 can be our evolution.

The Club & volunteers must evolve, otherwise it's not even worth the effort to exist...
Old 12-31-2019, 12:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,304 Times in 902 Posts

Quote:

Very often, those geezers are the ones with time. The one extremely valuable resource, that is in vastly short supply, in the up and coming leaders. They have jobs and families that require significantly more dedication, than retired and established folks. I realize this is generalization, but I have found it to be often true. I have seen waves of very energetic groups looking to make "wise" sweeping changes to clubs. In two years they are often gone. You may think you have vastly better ideas, but I am sure they think their ideas are just as sound and often....not broken. Just because you do not get your way, it is not a reason quit helping run successful tournaments, leagues and a club. I am often outvoted in club matters. I think my ideas are superior....always.

As stated here, help where you can. The geezers will retire from the club or get tired of doing all the work. Folks that are willing to step up and run a club for a decade are VERY hard to find. Honestly, our club runs 8 or so tournaments, 3 to 4 leagues and a couple special events. Leadership is rarely in short supply, foot soldiers are.

Great question though.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 647 Times in 276 Posts

Geezer is an unacceptable term for people who do 90% of the effing work. The next time someone calls me a geezer, they better run.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-31-2019, 07:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Agreed, however, the key to an effective parliament is that each pull their own weight.
Nah... the key is that those whose opinions lose the votes still respect the process.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
Geezer is an unacceptable term for people who do 90% of the effing work. The next time someone calls me a geezer, they better run.
but they won't have to run very fast...

You need to embrace your geez. It beats the crap out of the alternative. We geezers do all the work around here as well.