Old 01-06-2020, 02:24 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 702
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,895 Times in 840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
But as I keep saying, it really isn't a grey area. Contact with the playing surface in front of the lie before release of the disc is irrelevant. The best direct comparison is the crane putt you once demonstrated on video. One foot in front of the lie then picked up just before release. That foot in front of the lie isn't a grey area any more than the disc being in contact with the ground and the thrower's hand before it is released.
I'm suggesting it's a grey area simply because of how it looks by confusing players regarding rules pertaining to contact with the ground prior to release. I agree with you it's not a fault under the rules.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-06-2020, 02:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I'm suggesting it's a grey area simply because of how it looks by confusing players regarding rules pertaining to contact with the ground prior to release. I agree with you it's not a fault under the rules.
Okay. We just have different definitions of grey area I guess. To me, grey area suggests that the rules aren't definitive for the situation. You're (correctly) saying that players are struggling to distinguish their misconceptions about the rules from what the rules actually state. Fair enough.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:12 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 387 Times in 143 Posts

I certainly agree that a casual round doesn't necessitate this amount of scrutiny.

However, I do see a way to allow this throw to slide (pun realized and intended). You can stand or kneel well behind your marker. As long as you're sliding your disc and release it within the defined acceptable rectangle, you're OK. At that point your hand becomes a supporting point and should fall within supporting point guidelines.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 171
Niced 190 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
The best direct comparison is the crane putt you once demonstrated on video. One foot in front of the lie then picked up just before release.
Except if you pick up your hand just before release, then it is not a throw because you cannot propel the disc without being in contact with it. Not a good comparison at all.

You are conflating "before release" with "at release", but they clearly have different meanings.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:25 PM
*Super Moderator*

Anybody know the rules of curling?
Old 01-06-2020, 05:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHearChains View Post
Except if you pick up your hand just before release, then it is not a throw because you cannot propel the disc without being in contact with it. Not a good comparison at all.

You are conflating "before release" with "at release", but they clearly have different meanings.
I'm not conflating anything.

In the sliding example, you can't pick up your hand before release because picking up your hand IS the act of releasing the disc. The moment the hand breaks contact with the disc is the release. Anything that happens before that point is before the release. So the hand being in contact with the disc which is in contact with the ground is equivalent to a foot in contact in front of the lie before a throw...irrelevant with regard to the legality of the throw.

You're propelling the disc by sliding it. You're releasing the disc by breaking contact with it.

As the great professor Doctor Emmett L Brown once said, "you're not thinking fourth dimensionally". The only instant that matters when it comes to where the thrower's supporting points are located is at the time of release. Where they are before the disc is released is irrelevant. Where they are after the release, except in the case of a throw within 10 meters of the target, is irrelevant. And at the moment of release, the hand can't be in contact with the disc because if it was, the disc hasn't been released. Therefore sliding a disc is legal no matter where the disc is released relative to the marker.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-06-2020, 06:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,257 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Anybody know the rules of curling?
I live 20 minutes North of Canada....of course I do.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:58 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.9
Courses Played: 373
Niced 1,816 Times in 896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I live 20 minutes North of Canada....of course I do.
Southerner.

One thing that has come up is whether sliding the disc along the ground violates:

Quote:
813.02 Illegal Device
Last updated: Saturday, March 3, 2018 - 09:47
A. A player must not use any device that directly assists in making a throw. ...
Is the snow directly assisting the throw? Is it a device? Discuss.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:37 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Southerner.

One thing that has come up is whether sliding the disc along the ground violates:

Is the snow directly assisting the throw? Is it a device? Discuss.
I would say no. It is the playing surface.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,004 Times in 1,407 Posts

Best part of winter DG in the north: risky water carries become skip shots.

Asking as you proper the disc with your body, an no artificial means it's legit. Doesn't matter if it glides, slides, skips, rolls, or some combination thereof.

You can even shove it up your butt and fart it out... but it's tough to get enough spin that way.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-06-2020 at 08:47 PM.