Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 01-20-2020, 06:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,205 Times in 1,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
how can anthon get such great d and accuracy from such a wack run up and speed and mechanics

i dont mean this as hip specific but i wanted to find a thread with you in it and have it explained

i saw a video of him from the shelly sharpe memorial and was wondering
Quote:
is it just a bunch of excess and wasted energy in the run up

i just watched a few of the drives in slow mo upon a closer look it appears the run up is worthless but the brace and pull through are solid but he looks restricted in his follow through

im not really sure i am confused by the whole thing it seems so unorthodox yet it works so well for him
He doesn't really have any moving parts in his arm in the backswing, and his footwork is almost always the same speed/tempo, so he's very consistent although it looks funny. I like to yell "yabba dabba do" when he drives. I don't think he's restricting his followthru, he's just transferring that energy to the disc from his brace efficiently. I remember watching the 2009 World's playoff with him vs Avery and was really surprised at Josh's distance, although being a World Champ Putter also helps.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,205 Times in 1,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
It's like saying GG doesn't have a good throw because he puts his trailing arm over his throwing arm. Most ams who do it are doing it wrong. GG happens to be the outlier.
Not an outlier, it's a Swedish move, some go over, others go under.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32aLPjJ5294#t=1m

Old 01-20-2020, 07:07 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 192 Times in 113 Posts

Yes definitely. It’s just another example of something that’s almost always done incorrectly among Ams.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 241
Niced 2,233 Times in 1,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
He doesn't really have any moving parts in his arm in the backswing, and his footwork is almost always the same speed/tempo, so he's very consistent although it looks funny. I like to yell "yabba dabba do" when he drives. I don't think he's restricting his followthru, he's just transferring that energy to the disc from his brace efficiently. I remember watching the 2009 World's playoff with him vs Avery and was really surprised at Josh's distance, although being a World Champ Putter also helps.
thats extremely interesting to me

so if it was broken down from brace to follow through all the mechanics work out

maybe im getting distracted and convinced he doesnt know what hes doing just from the fast feet work

but then he just crushes a drive right on target and is on top card and im like wtf and impressed

Old 01-21-2020, 09:49 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 192 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:

so if it was broken down from brace to follow through all the mechanics work out

maybe im getting distracted and convinced he doesnt know what hes doing just from the fast feet work

but then he just crushes a drive right on target and is on top card and im like wtf and impressed
Bodies are different and move differently in order to achieve the same thing. Anthon isn't long lanky and smooth like Simon, but that doesn't mean he's throwing with bad form. Try to find the similarities in Anthon's throw and other top pros. You'll start to see what's most important (hint: it's getting on the front leg).

Old 01-21-2020, 12:24 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 288 Times in 219 Posts

Quote:

Watch his right thumb right before the throw if you haven't seen that yet.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 68 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
how can anthon get such great d and accuracy from such a wack run up and speed and mechanics
It works for him but his approach form always reminds me of Fred Flintstone's bowling form