Old 01-24-2020, 03:08 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 51 Times in 38 Posts

Since your new, I would suggest trying out the four different putters you have now, especially if there is enough difference from each other.

I have been playing for a year and half and started with an Innova KC Avia, then tried an Innova Dart, then an Innova Nova, and now currently using a Dynamic Disc Warden [which is great for me]. I have changed and tweaked my putting form as well. Starting out as more of a push putter and slowing evolving into more of a spin putter.

A good feeling plastic and a clean release are definitely traits you want in addition to a putter that compliments your form.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-24-2020, 04:29 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 82 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
Dang, that's me too! I carried one yellow and one orange, and I was convinced that they were somehow different from each other. I finally took them both out.
Haha! I'll third that one. I've done it with other discs but mainly with putters. And I know its just a confidence thing. I know its entirely just in my head but one color seems to have better luck than the other.

I agree with the base plastic theory. I've had champion/z plastic go in one side of the basket, slip around and spit out the other side. Never had that with base.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-24-2020, 06:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,733 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Tan View Post
I have acquired 4 putters, all different (brands, weights, etc.). It's been recommended that I choose one putter and buy several of them and practice with that one disc.

Thanks for any advice.
What putters do you have and what are the weights and plastics. And which ones do you like the best so far and why? This info might help us help you. If your putters range from a 150gr Aviar to a max weight Zone, that's quite a difference.

Yes, it's pretty good advice to stick with one putter you like, but in the beginning, you don't really know what you like because you have little to compare to. But sticking with one neutral stability putter that feels good in your hand is a good place to start. Once you get used to it, you'll have better understanding of it and then you'll have have a better feel for what you might want different.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:30 AM

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 3
Niced 19 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
What putters do you have and what are the weights and plastics. And which ones do you like the best so far and why? This info might help us help you. If your putters range from a 150gr Aviar to a max weight Zone, that's quite a difference.

Yes, it's pretty good advice to stick with one putter you like, but in the beginning, you don't really know what you like because you have little to compare to. But sticking with one neutral stability putter that feels good in your hand is a good place to start. Once you get used to it, you'll have better understanding of it and then you'll have have a better feel for what you might want different.
At the moment I have an Innova Colt (not sure of the weight/plastic as I got this at Academy when I first started playing), a Discraft Magnet (not sure of the weight/plastic but definitely the lightest), a Discraft Challenger Jawbreaker (174g I think) and a Dynamic Discs Prime Judge (not sure of weight as it came in a set I bought for my son).

So far the outlier is the Magnet. I can tell it flies the most different, feels the most slippery and is most affected by wind. The others are closer together but I feel more confident with the Judge and Challenger.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:36 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 368 Times in 254 Posts

I'm just going to give caution to the advice of "buy a stack of the mold you like". As your get better your preferences will change and therefore you might be stuck with 5-10 discs that you don't really like anymore. That said, inside the circle it probably wouldn't matter a ton... but still.

Niced: (4)
Old 01-24-2020, 09:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,733 Times in 756 Posts

^Yeah, what He said.

Buy two, that should be enough until you figure out what you like.

Go someplace and feel some putters up. Plastic types make a difference and we all have our preferences. If it feels good and has the grip you like, then buy one or two and work with them.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 562 Times in 363 Posts

It sounds like you are seeking a way to optimize your putter choice - you may be past the point of the first best advice, which is to stop by a brick and mortar shop and feel a bunch of different putters, buying the one that you click with.

It might help to at least narrow down the styles you want to consider via the following - buy/try each of:

Deep and beaded - Wizard in SSS plastic (for example)

Shallow and beaded - Judge in Classic Medium

Deep and unbeaded - P2 in P-Line

Shallow and unbeaded - Pure in Zero Medium

Then if you say, liked the feel of the Wizard but want to try something more neutral, check out a Dagger. Or liked the feel of pure but want to try something more stable, go with like... a ringer?? I dunno.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-24-2020, 11:44 AM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,363 Times in 1,724 Posts

All the advice above is good. Unfortunately for your wallet, finding the right putter for you will take some trial and error. Like was said above, some things to consider are if you prefer a beaded or non-beaded putter, and the way you putt (spin putt or not, etc.).

Old 01-24-2020, 12:18 PM

Years Playing: 0.4
Niced 19 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
All the advice above is good. Unfortunately for your wallet, finding the right putter for you will take some trial and error. Like was said above, some things to consider are if you prefer a beaded or non-beaded putter, and the way you putt (spin putt or not, etc.).
Thanks!

Notes to self:
1. Look up the difference between "beaded and non-beaded".
2. Look up "spin put" and "other types".

Old 01-24-2020, 12:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 48
Niced 887 Times in 598 Posts

I would avoid overstable putters and premium plastic.