Old 01-19-2020, 11:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 116
Niced 249 Times in 100 Posts
Default 1,000 "Extinct" Courses

Just poking around and ran across this number, which caught me by surprise. Especially since I know that a good number of these are alive and well. It would seem to be helpful to have these listed in another category since they are not really RIP.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2020, 12:33 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 702
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,896 Times in 841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Just poking around and ran across this number, which caught me by surprise. Especially since I know that a good number of these are alive and well. It would seem to be helpful to have these listed in another category since they are not really RIP.
I'm assuming there are RIP courses that have simply been significantly redesigned and had to be listed as RIP as the only option provided?

Niced: (1)
Old 01-19-2020, 10:02 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,051 Times in 1,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I'm assuming there are RIP courses that have simply been significantly redesigned and had to be listed as RIP as the only option provided?
Those are pretty clearly marked "old layout" and if you are on the page for a course like that is says "Layout extinct, click here to view new layout" and links you to the active page. It would be pretty hard to confuse a redesigned layout with a course that was pulled and gone. The only thing that is the same is that they both have the tombstone icon.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:28 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Niced 922 Times in 770 Posts

Yeah and DGCR is missing RIP courses from before this place was a site.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Yes, that's one explanation for sure,particularly for public courses. For private courses, it gets a little more complicated trying to decipher whether an "extinct" course has actually been pulled ; or if they simply no longer want it listed on DGCR.
The trend I'm seeing in my area is an increasingly smaller % of privates are allowing their courses to be listed.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

I would estimate that there are 50-75 active private courses in North-western NC that are either unlisted or listed as "extinct". Is this an isolated situation, or the norm ?
Old 01-24-2020, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,889 Times in 1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
I would estimate that there are 50-75 active private courses in North-western NC that are either unlisted or listed as "extinct". Is this an isolated situation, or the norm ?
It's not the norm around here (central SC). The only unlisted courses I know of are strictly private---"me and my buddies", or a school or church not open to the general public.

But I always caution private course owners to give long thought before listing a course anywhere. It all depends on what you want out of the course---and what you want to deal with. Not everyone is trying to maximize attendance. Or draw attention, where there may be zoning or neighb9r issues. And once you list it, that info can get copied on the internet to places you can't control.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-24-2020, 11:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.5
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 136 Times in 75 Posts

Out of my nearly 400 courses played, 30 have gone extinct. About half of those are "old layout ". The others went completely extinct for various reasons. One of those, formerly Reed DGC in a community park in Gresham OR, lasted only 5 weeks due to NIMBYs.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,411 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
It's not the norm around here (central SC). The only unlisted courses I know of are strictly private---"me and my buddies", or a school or church not open to the general public.
I would say my area lies somewhere between David's and Rich's on this point. I can probably name 20 or so unlisted courses in VA but not a whole lot more than that.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,411 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtobediscing View Post
One of those, formerly Reed DGC in a community park in Gresham OR, lasted only 5 weeks due to NIMBYs.
Are details on that available somewhere?