Old 01-25-2020, 09:13 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 290 Times in 221 Posts

Too early with the swing. Need to be faster off the rear foot and shifting more behind.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2020, 09:18 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 290 Times in 221 Posts

Here's the first frame where your front foot really gets weighted. Your arm is collapsing against the upper body turning too early.

Here's eagle for comparison. See how much further his shoulders are still back? And his front shoulder is a little bit lower than rear or about even while your front shoulder is much higher and jammed up. And his rear foot has deweighted much earlier too.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by UhhNegative; 01-25-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,237 Times in 1,977 Posts

1. Bottom of backswing. Note how your front foot is completely leaving the ground before your your arm/disc swing back past it - so your arm/disc backswing is not pulling the foot up, you are pushing your front foot off the ground and tipping over. Note how your arm/disc is turned over/around, so you have to swing around outside your posture. Your rear hip has no depth or not turning back and your rear foot is rolling over to outside edge - death move.

Note how my body is still braced inside rear ankle and turning back, and my front toes are still on ground, heel is pulled up from swing passing it and about to pull toes off the ground to take a small stride. My arm/disc is on a more vertical plane, not turned over, so I can swing straight back inside posture like throwing a powerful uppercut punch - your backswing is more like throwing a weak hook. I think you may be mistaking "wide" here in backswing... if the arm is hanging vertically straight down next to hip and pulled taut, then it is wide and it's not hugging yourself with upper arm across the chest in horizontal adduction.

2. Front toes touching down - Door Frame Drill about to crush the can. Your shoulder basically stops turning back before you stride, so while you aren't really swinging early, you just pause and drag your right shoulder forward with your stride. You need to keep your shoulder turning back while striding so it's not moving targetward with stride and create the rubber band effect.

I would like to see you setting up in a super wide stance and striding front foot back away from target, rather than setting up a really narrow stance and taking a huge stride targetward. Also like to see you doing door frame drill, think your rear foot is too close to door frame - walk rear foot targetward from door frame. Elephant walk would also be another to video.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 10.26.39 AM copy.jpg (48.5 KB, 88 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 01-25-2020, 11:58 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 84 Times in 71 Posts

Annotations are great thanks guys! I think I’m trying to manipulate the sequence instead of using the imaginary hammer weight to get things feeling right. The taut feeling has been getting away from me a bit. Ok, drills and hammer time!
Old 01-26-2020, 12:02 AM
* Ace Member *

I just tried to make the same move you are doing with the rear heel going up in the backswing and tipped over the rear leg and I got a Charlie horse in my rear calf - holy cow is that much hard to do than just standing up on the leg and whole foot in the backswing. The plantar flexion should happen much later into the transition forward and roll the rear foot to the inside edge.

You need to shift back in backswing so your front hip/leg swings underneath your rear hip and head(centered, and changing tilt flowing with body). Should feel like bowling away from target in the backswing, the trailing leg(front leg in BH backswing) will release underneath.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 11.10.10 PM copy.jpg (25.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 01-29-2020, 12:27 AM
Birdie Member

Got some hammer videos today. Looks t me like my timing is all out of whack.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 01-29-2020 at 01:20 AM. Reason: fixed youtube link
Old 01-29-2020, 02:38 AM
* Ace Member *

When you are standing still your body is static pumping the hammer with your arm only. Your body needs to move fluidly with the arm. Might need to do some 1080 spins with the hammer and feel your arm being pulled out taut from your shoulder/body.

If you swing something heavier like a 10lbs sledge, should have to take much smaller steps to move with the swing fluidly. The heavier the object(or your swing) you swing back and forth, the more it should keep you grounded in place, so you have to make a bigger swing/pump and create more levitation the top of the swing/pump in order to take a step off the ground.

Door Frame Drill - feel your right shoulder being pulled back as you move forward. Your right shoulder is moving forward the entire backswing/door frame drill and never swings back behind the left shoulder or your left shoulder never moves forward ahead of right shoulder.

You start your x-step by stepping before swinging and starting with the wrong leg/right leg. Need to swing that hammer with your whole body turning back and then you can take a step with left foot crossing behind and butt facing target.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 1.43.40 AM.jpg (56.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 2.15.39 AM.jpg (48.6 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 01-29-2020 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:00 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
When you are standing still your body is static pumping the hammer with your arm only. Your body needs to move fluidly with the arm. Might need to do some 1080 spins with the hammer and feel your arm being pulled out taut from your shoulder/body.
This is why I’m not feeling the connection anymore. Thanks SW.

What is meant to be doing the work to move the hammer? The weight shift starts it correct? If I remember rightly I was moving my hips to start the forward swing/backswing and felt a good connection .
Old 01-29-2020, 08:04 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post

You start your x-step by stepping before swinging and starting with the wrong leg/right leg. Need to swing that hammer with your whole body turning back and then you can take a step with left foot crossing behind and butt facing target.

*facepalm* how could I forget that I literally rewatched it the other day!

I think I’ll film another doorframe drill when I get the chance!

So in elephant walk should I be turning my e tire body too?

Old 01-29-2020, 08:24 AM
Birdie Member

Just doing some dry swings at home. I’m pretty certain that I had been losing that connection with my arm being nice and taut. I feel much more grounded and everything moving as one unit when I think of the ball on string analogy