Old 01-28-2020, 04:52 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 213 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
So if you throw a drive and it ends up under a large dead branch you can drag that branch to the backside of the basket to act as a backstop? Or you could even drag it to be in front of the basket to block other players putts? Or you could place it in front of another player's lie?
Rules say you can't move an obstacle unless it is on or behind your lie. As soon as the obstacle is no longer on or behind your lie... you can't move it. Put it down!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2020, 05:01 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
You have to move it somewhere behind your lie.
The rules don't actually specify where casual obstacles should be moved to. I think as soon as an obstacle is no longer on your lie or in your stance area, then it should not be moved further.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 462 Times in 212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Rules say you can't move an obstacle unless it is on or behind your lie. As soon as the obstacle is no longer on or behind your lie... you can't move it. Put it down
Well, “behind your lie” is a pretty big area.

But I agree with the sentiment.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:28 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Well, “behind your lie” is a pretty big area.

But I agree with the sentiment.
Yeah, the rules use a few different phases (can't look them all up now): stance area, run up area, behind the lie.

Old 01-29-2020, 01:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 12
Niced 488 Times in 347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
Although I agree in principle that you should not be changing the course for others playing it competitively. I think that moving a branch completely off the fairway should be instilled in players. Courses look so much better if as players we get in this habit of tidying up the course we play. I try and teach new players that courses are maintained by volunteers and as players if we can keep fallen branches and such off the fairways as we play the course will be a better experiences for all that play them.
I do the same thing (must be a NY thing), even if I'm off the fairway (which happens a lot more than it should), but I always move the branches further from the fairway if they interfere with my lie. I can be comfortable in most lies, so if I have to move it, chances are someone else would've as well.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:28 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 195 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Rules say you can't move an obstacle unless it is on or behind your lie. As soon as the obstacle is no longer on or behind your lie... you can't move it. Put it down!!!

just FYI, that language isn't in the rule book anymore:

Quote:
A player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course, with the following exceptions:
A player may move casual obstacles that are o̶n̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶h̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶e̶ partially or completely on the lie or in the stance area, regardless of whether they extend in front of or behind the lie. A casual obstacle is any item or collection of loose debris (such as stones, leaves, twigs, or unconnected branches), or any item as designated by the Director.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:24 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
just FYI, that language isn't in the rule book anymore:
Hey! thanks for pointing that out. I like the wording change. Behind the lie is a bit too broad, and doesn't address that people also stand to one side of the lie.

So interestingly, prompted by your post, I've just checked, and QA-OBS-4 and -8 still use the old wording of 'or behind...'.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-30-2020, 12:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Hey! thanks for pointing that out. I like the wording change. Behind the lie is a bit too broad, and doesn't address that people also stand to one side of the lie.

So interestingly, prompted by your post, I've just checked, and QA-OBS-4 and -8 still use the old wording of 'or behind...'.

Because the QAs didn't get updated when the electronic book did prior to the 2019 season. The next update of the rule book should align the QAs with the rules better, or at least that's one of our goals.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 54
Niced 55 Times in 32 Posts

So if a large limb or small tree falls into the basket while you are in the process of putting, you are not allowed to move it until a disc lands where a stance is affected? Then how far do you move it?
Seems fairness would dictate that if the players that holed out before you had clear path to the basket, your group should have the same.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:23 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 702
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,896 Times in 841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
So if a large limb or small tree falls into the basket while you are in the process of putting, you are not allowed to move it until a disc lands where a stance is affected? Then how far do you move it?
Seems fairness would dictate that if the players that holed out before you had clear path to the basket, your group should have the same.
803.01 B3 was added to the rules to deal with obstacles in the basket, twisted chains or a portable tipping over: "A player may restore course equipment to its proper working order, including the removal of obstacles." It doesn't address where to relocate the obstacles.

Niced: (1)