Old 02-03-2020, 12:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,407 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
wow, really? I haven't thrown Eclipse yet. I like the idea of more turn and more fade though.
I will give this caveat, I do throw with less speed and more spin.. so ymmv.

I think of an Neutron Envy having a hybrid Wasp/Polecat flight, a Electron Envy having a beat in Wasp/Polecat flight and the Eclipse Envy having a Roc/Polecat flight.

I don't know if that makes any sense or not.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-03-2020, 12:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 30
Niced 512 Times in 317 Posts

I feel like the Eclipse molds up a little deeper than the other plastics. Just a touch slower/glidier. It throws a bit more like a traditional putter, and stays straight maybe a tad longer than a Neutron, but I still definitely got a 0 turn unless I was throwing it hard into a headwind. Eclipse actually was my stable driving putter of choice until I lost it.

On a somewhat related note, I have terrible luck with losing Envies. Lost two in 2019 alone. Seems like they all take a bad tree kick off a cliff, or get lost in waist-high grass inside the circle, or other similar horror stories. And every time I think "how in the world do you lose a putter???.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:28 PM
Eagle Member

Again, the only Envy I've thrown that had noticeable turn was a max weight Neutron Soft. All the others are a true 0 turn out of the box, with Electrons beating in relatively quickly while the other plastics are all practically Teflon. I'm actually bagging a fresh Electron right now for grip reasons due to the snow. It's definitely a 0 turn/strong fade throwing putter.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,407 Times in 812 Posts

It had been a few months since I had thrown my Eclipse Envy, so I took it out for a bit of field work here at lunch.

The mixture of slick and somewhat flexible plastic reminded me real quick like why it is in my glow bag instead of my regular bag. I normally throw with 0 OAT, but flexible plastics come out of my hand all wobbly on backhands. That very well might be why I am seeing turn on it. It still had a bit of turn on the flick as well though.

It also reminded me why I no longer buy MVP in anything other than Cosmic Electron Firm and Plasma and why so many of my molds have switched to Discraft. I hate flexible plastic.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:18 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
I normally throw with 0 OAT, but flexible plastics come out of my hand all wobbly on backhands.
I don't have this problem with the Eclipse plastic, but this could be why I turnover my Neutron Soft Envy. It might just come out of my hand with torque due to the floppiness of the plastic. That's an interesting thought. Regardless of the reason, I don't like the flight that I personally get from the N Soft.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 12
Niced 1,110 Times in 588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I don't have this problem with the Eclipse plastic, but this could be why I turnover my Neutron Soft Envy. It might just come out of my hand with torque due to the floppiness of the plastic. That's an interesting thought. Regardless of the reason, I don't like the flight that I personally get from the N Soft.
I'm loving the grip and firmness of my Eclipse. Gonna get a backup or two 165ish. I dig the lighter weight and nice stability, great thrower for me.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:06 PM
Eagle Member

Losing my Eclipse Envy has actually made me rethink whether I want to carry an Envy in the bag (blasphemy, I know). Electrons are only a temporary solution since they beat in quick and I don't like N Softs, so I either need to restock Eclipses/Protons/Neutrons or move on from the mold.
I'm probably going to try to move on, since I find I'm more accurate inside 225' when using a slower traditional putter rather than Envy/Proxy. 225'-250' is where gyro putters really shine for me, but I can muscle up on a Judge or smooth out a mid to cover that range. And that's a distance that I don't see very often anyway. I still firmly believe Envies are the best driving putter ever made...but do I really want to carry a dedicated driving putter, or am I better off using the other molds in my bag more often? To further complicate matters, it seems I toss my other putters better when I'm not oscillating back and forth with an Envy. Quite the conundrum.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:33 AM

Courses Played: 23
Niced 55 Times in 20 Posts

Recently put my Eclipse Envy back in the bag and am loving it. I use it for a myriad of reasons off the tee but my favorite being mild flex lines when I need to control the angle it hits the green.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 927 Times in 644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
I'm loving the grip and firmness of my Eclipse. Gonna get a backup or two 165ish. I dig the lighter weight and nice stability, great thrower for me.
I feel the same way, already have a couple Halloween ones as backups. It feels like a grip proton and flies nice. I think the dome WMD mentioned is the key to it. I find it kind of mellow and different (no not really different), almost has some neutron Atom action in the flight..

I say this because I have one long downhill tunnel shot about 240', a 12' gap and I can thread it with the eclipse fairly well. It stretches a tight S better than my other Envies and doesn't fade as fast, it still has all the stability.
Most of my other ones stable out faster, except a soft electron but it flies more of hint of hyzer line.