Old 02-11-2020, 07:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 573 Times in 246 Posts

Sure, he's got a lot to learn.
Stuff that took us a while, like rules, flight nuances, shot shaping, alternate lines, straddle putting, distance control, etc.
But man, he can hit a line! Not always perfectly, not every time, but he can hit his lines way more often than not.
He seems somewhat unpretentious, and like others have said, seems to understand his disc golf audience.

Color me impressed and cautiously optimistic.
Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2020, 12:30 AM
Par Member

Niced 121 Times in 63 Posts

Give him 2 seasons, and he'll be a real threat.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,803 Times in 1,008 Posts

Insane to me to throw max drives stand-still. . i would kill my body if i did that
Just a small walk-up and everything in my throw feels so much smoother

I just can´t use stand still beyond 150ft
Old 02-12-2020, 08:53 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,246 Times in 620 Posts

In that video from Sunset, on one of his approach shots he said something like, "I can do an ultimate throw."
He needs to eventually rely on that strength, and have a strong short game. He's Brodie Smith, not Paul McBeth. And maybe it's because it's he's just starting out, but I have to say that I miss the old Brodie. He needed a few more yells in there. Show some of that emotion. Obviously he shouldn't be yelling during tournaments, so maybe he's practicing being reserved. Not sure. It's interesting to watch this unfold.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,409 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
In that video from Sunset, on one of his approach shots he said something like, "I can do an ultimate throw."
He needs to eventually rely on that strength, and have a strong short game. He's Brodie Smith, not Paul McBeth. And maybe it's because it's he's just starting out, but I have to say that I miss the old Brodie. He needed a few more yells in there. Show some of that emotion. Obviously he shouldn't be yelling during tournaments, so maybe he's practicing being reserved. Not sure. It's interesting to watch this unfold.
The yells would cause me to tune out ASAP. One of the reasons I like disc golf is the lack of hooligans in our hobby.

Please keep the hooligan antics over on the soccer field.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-12-2020, 10:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Niced 1,168 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Insane to me to throw max drives stand-still. . . I just can´t use stand still beyond 150ft
Looking forward to seeing his progress with high speed drivers / xstep. But throwing mids/fairways 350 from a stand still will be a great tool for him. You can see how much height/spin he's putting on those slower discs, that's the key (especially the spin) to getting putters/mids out further. If you're only throwing putters 150 from a stand still, I'm guessing you're relying on arm speed more than spin. Put a little more snap (spin), height on those slower speed discs and their glide increases dramatically.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Niced 1,168 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
Bring on the emotion.. after the throw, not before or during. lol...
Old 02-12-2020, 10:52 AM

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 3
Niced 19 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Bring on the emotion.. after the throw, not before or during. lol...
I'm all for emotion. As long as it's not a distraction to others. One of the things I really like about watching disc golf is that the players seem to really like each other and are happy for one another when they do well. You don't see that sort of interaction a lot of that in other sports.

Old 02-12-2020, 02:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 62
Niced 335 Times in 187 Posts

I run into a group of 6 guys that play casually on my home course from time to time. They're not doing anyone harm and just having a good time, but they all scream like grade school kids after each one of them makes a shot.

It does get old after about 3-4 holes, so I just chuckle and try to stay on the other side of the park from them.

Old 02-12-2020, 03:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,151 Times in 696 Posts

There's a pitch and putt here, longest hole is around 280', anything close to 200' is a course par 4. I'll never forget the day I was focusing on my putt and a loud and enthusiastic voice yells out "Eagle!" as somebody took a 2 on a 220' par 4.