Old 02-14-2020, 11:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,222 Times in 1,962 Posts

So close. It's your balance or lack of balance on your rear leg that restricts your backswing and slows your weightshift.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-15-2020, 08:47 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 288 Times in 219 Posts

Dat power pocket. Nice!

Old 02-15-2020, 10:56 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 251 Times in 172 Posts

One more from the side for good measure.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Need to hop more over your left leg while still looking targetward and upright and then turn back inside or forward or in front of the rear foot. You are reaching over downward(rather than swinging back upright) and your shoulder and elbow are going more upward during the swing instead of longer forward. You can see how much taller and more upright Markus is starting the stride hopping over the rear leg and looking forward and then turns back and drops upright all the way into plant with shoulders and elbow making a longer swing forward more horizontally. Also note how his left shoulder and elbow are closer to target/center at the plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQzVIX4cVs&t=25s

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BJ markus swing.jpg (76.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 03-28-2020, 08:08 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
So close. It's your balance or lack of balance on your rear leg that restricts your backswing and slows your weightshift.
Yup, IDK exactly what happened over the last few days, but my reach back is timed much more like it should be. I'm getting my hip turned back in the x-step and it's allowing me to get my shoulders to turn back in front of my rear leg, in turn reaching back further in balance. I'm feeling the tilted spiral in a way I never have. It's like I'm ahead of myself holding my spine, planting it in the ground and in an instant ripping it target ward, slingshotting the pendulum forward. It's hard to explain, but the feeling you get when you suddenly feel the weight of the disc at the top of the reach back, except with my center of gravity. It doesn't feel difficult or forced at all.

This isn't the greatest example here as I'm trying to not hit my the stuff in front of me, and for whatever reason when I don't have the weight of the disc in my hand I seem to pin my upper arm to my chest, which isn't there while throwing. Need to get some shots filmed.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Backswing is looking better. Need to swing your shoulder forward lower closed and heavier like a battering ram into a door or wall after hips go through wall/door from hershyzer. Your shoulder is going up and open and hugging yourself as soon as you plant heel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOY4R_iNxF8&t=5m

Old 03-28-2020, 09:42 PM
Eagle Member

That actually makes a ton of sense. I think it would help keep the disc down more near my chest with more room to swing outward pressing against the ground rather than just rotating around the heel.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:49 AM
Eagle Member

I legitimately believe I've had a breakthrough over the last few weeks. The change in footwork has allowed me to feel my weight ahead of me a bit better, but now I'm figuring out how to turn back into position where the left side feels super connected and powerful. Instead of feeling like I'm pivoting or swiveling the hips, I feel like I'm doing a squat or exploding straight up with the rear leg. It's one of the first times I've seen the squeezed knee/rear hip rotation going into the plant/at the weight shift rather than after.

The difference is feeling a type of weightlessness in the back swing where the lead/right side feels completely neutral going into the plant, and the rear side feels loaded and ready to go. It's the instant when the shoulders turn past 90 degrees around the spine, but it tells me, "push" and the disc is just exploding out. It's weird because I feel the rotation around the spine more distinctly, but the action feels more linear. Like a clothesline on pulleys the left and right side running parallel around a circle.

I see I'm not getting the forward tilt at all, but I'll take what I can get right now.

Angle is a little crooked here.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:48 PM
* Ace Member *

IDK, I guess the backswing looks better, but I don't think you are focused on the right thing... landing balanced and swinging on the front leg properly. Your CoG is too far behind to the right of your front heel, so have no space to swing thru over hip/knee and lose pressure on front toes too early(looking from camera behind tee).

Still looks like your front shoulder is popping up like Mike Demos below instead of swinging it forward on front leg like battering ram. Your rear foot appears to be going around to the left tee side instead of right tee side behind front leg when leaving the ground. Like you are trying to push over to the left too much or rotate instead of moving forward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOY4R_iNxF8&t=5m

Side note - were you throwing at the Black Course march 30?

Erin has battering rammed the front shoulder forward over the front hip/knee, and note how rear shoulder is forward of rear knee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 3.50.08 PM copy.jpg (31.6 KB, 22 views)

Old 04-02-2020, 05:36 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
IDK, I guess the backswing looks better, but I don't think you are focused on the right thing... landing balanced and swinging on the front leg properly. Your CoG is too far behind to the right of your front heel, so have no space to swing thru over hip/knee and lose pressure on front toes too early(looking from camera behind tee).
Something I've always struggle with, but seems to be getting closer as I'm releasing the disc with my foot still pointed perpendicular of the teepad, just not planted bushing against it like you see every pro do. The disc are coming out faster with way less effort than ever when I've been at these distances, but still not pushing to the next tier of D.

Quote:
Side note - were you throwing at the Black Course march 30?
Yup, have you played the new White course out there? It's my favorite course in the mid Ohio valley area (Forked Run is further south, but it's a great one too). I played back to back rounds White then Black course. I was whipped afterwards. That shot in particular was after both rounds, and not a particular good example of how I'm throwing right now. I still haven't got any good throws on film.