Old 02-20-2020, 10:21 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,195 Times in 775 Posts

The XXX, Resistor, Trident, Whippet, Viper all work in this range, but I throw a Justice far enough that the gap between it and a Flare/Firebird is really small. No point in having another mold.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2020, 10:32 AM

Courses Played: 6
Niced 68 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
It's kind of a niche slot, similar to a speed 6 understable fairway or fast understable mid.
I appreciate all the disc suggestion from everybody, but I wasn't looking to buy more discs. What I was trying to figure out with this thread is, WHY is that slot so niche?

I've heard a lot of people say that they'll just power down a Firebird, because it powers down well. Does, say, a Thunderbird or Valkyrie or Roadrunner not power down just as well? Why do slower speed discs exist in those less stable slots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
lol i dont even bag anything within that speed range
Or is Mex getting at the reason here? Is it because less experienced players typically throw understable discs, and by the time they're looking to throw something more overstable they're also throwing higher speeds?

I don't know if I buy that answer either though. I feel like fairway drivers are always useful, and that your average player (i.e., not your average DGCRer) could benefit from throwing more fairway drivers and less high speed DDs.

Not to mention that new discs sell well and a lot of the biggest companies have no problem pumping out discs with very similar flight numbers to ones they've already released. I could understand if this slot just didn't sell well at all, but it seems like the Whippet used to be fairly popular. The Zone sells very well, and Discraft also has the Drone, Buzzz OS, Hornet, and now the Malta all occupying a similar slot at speed 5. Leopards, Teebirds, and FDs are all very popular. So why is this OS slot being neglected?
Old 02-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Par Member

Niced 34 Times in 29 Posts

Gateway Demon and #2 Hyzer by Lightning

Niced: (1)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 579 Times in 268 Posts

It's a slot in the bag that I don't always carry. When I do, I just happen to have a very beefy JLS. But it's unlike any others that I've thrown. It's speed 8.

Like others, I tend to jump from speed 5 (Sentinel, Hornet, Drone) up to speed 9 (OLF). It really seems that the over stable slot in-between isn't necessary for me very often.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 265
Niced 2,238 Times in 1,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knivvves View Post
I appreciate all the disc suggestion from everybody, but I wasn't looking to buy more discs. What I was trying to figure out with this thread is, WHY is that slot so niche?

I've heard a lot of people say that they'll just power down a Firebird, because it powers down well. Does, say, a Thunderbird or Valkyrie or Roadrunner not power down just as well? Why do slower speed discs exist in those less stable slots?

Or is Mex getting at the reason here? Is it because less experienced players typically throw understable discs, and by the time they're looking to throw something more overstable they're also throwing higher speeds?

I don't know if I buy that answer either though. I feel like fairway drivers are always useful, and that your average player (i.e., not your average DGCRer) could benefit from throwing more fairway drivers and less high speed DDs.

Not to mention that new discs sell well and a lot of the biggest companies have no problem pumping out discs with very similar flight numbers to ones they've already released. I could understand if this slot just didn't sell well at all, but it seems like the Whippet used to be fairly popular. The Zone sells very well, and Discraft also has the Drone, Buzzz OS, Hornet, and now the Malta all occupying a similar slot at speed 5. Leopards, Teebirds, and FDs are all very popular. So why is this OS slot being neglected?
speed 9-10 os cuts thru the wind better and moar d potential while still being very controllable for most

speed 7 is a touch too slow and most could power down a speed 9 to what a speed 7 would cover

Old 02-20-2020, 11:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 31
Niced 66 Times in 44 Posts

Given my limited abilities ("chumpiness") and what is available, I cover my OS shots with a Zone and a Resistor. Quite happy with them both. I do carry a Raptor, but to be truthful, I don't use it much.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:57 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 114 Times in 56 Posts

The best explanation is probably that there's not much demand. My assumption is that by the time a player is in need of an overstable 7-8 speed disc, that player is already able to control something like a Felon or Firebird well enough for shorter shots, and those discs have more utility. There is maybe a small window of experience where we can't quite put a stable-to-understable speed 6-8 on hyzer far enough to get the job done, but we also can't control a rimmy 9 speed OS well enough for lower-powered shots. I'm kind of hitting that spot right now. I'm just going to learn to use the Firebird.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,878 Times in 2,562 Posts

I think it just depends on your bag setup preference. Personally, I don't use mids much, so having that 7ish speed utility disc is a necessity. Other people love those 5ish speed OS mids and don't need the slow fairway spot.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 7
Niced 367 Times in 215 Posts

I love speed 7 discs, I don't really like speed 9s. There are a bunch of overstable speed 7 discs. Like the Resistor, Champion Eagle, xxx, first run Sparks, Banshee, some Teebirds etc

Old 02-20-2020, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,397 Times in 538 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

You need a star Whippet.