Old 02-20-2020, 04:29 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Course Design Ideas

Hey everyone!

I am wondering how you would design a frisbee golf course on this plot of land? I attached an overview of it and some zoomed in pictures...I'm trying to present a solid design to send officials as I am attempting to get a course designed for where I'm from! Thank you for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robinson Park_Overview.jpg (128.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Robinson Park_North Point Zoom.jpg (130.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Robinson Park_East Side Zoom.jpg (147.0 KB, 43 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2020, 04:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 357 Times in 170 Posts

doesn't look like you could fit more than 5 holes there
Old 02-20-2020, 04:47 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Second option

Do you think this plot of land (highlighted in red) would possibly work? There's 2 options within the city that could possibly be used for a frisbee golf course...one option is what I posted before but the other option would be this piece of land...thoughts? I'm new to coming up with a design, so any insight is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jaycee Park_Overview.jpg (126.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 02-20-2020, 06:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 321
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 483 Times in 202 Posts

The first area looks very scenic, and the second looks pretty uninteresting for disc golf. Both appear to be pretty well filled with other activities which would mean full power disc golf throws would likely be a hazard. Personally, I wouldn't use either for DG. The best scenarios are the fringes of larger park areas, with a commitment to clearing junk undergrowth that's not much good for other uses.
...but if I had to choose, I might say a putter / mini 'course' or practice area by the lake would be the one I'd try to do something with. First step: if you have a local disc golf club, and somebody that has installed a course before, they should know how to put in a very few (3-6?) holes that would prove 1) safe, 2) fun, and MAYBE 3) challenging.

Niced: (3)
Old 02-20-2020, 06:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 241
Niced 2,233 Times in 1,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjakes8 View Post
Do you think this plot of land (highlighted in red) would possibly work? There's 2 options within the city that could possibly be used for a frisbee golf course...one option is what I posted before but the other option would be this piece of land...thoughts? I'm new to coming up with a design, so any insight is greatly appreciated!
reminds me of the crappy rec courses at schools that just play around baseball fields

you know those classic course designs that consistently and dependably rate at 1/5
Old 02-20-2020, 07:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,038 Times in 1,420 Posts

You might think that a few short holes in a relatively compact open, shared use area might be one of the easiest design jobs one could have. I'd say it's one of the toughest...to do well.. Specifically becuase that setting provides little room for error.

Like Sisyphus said, see if you can get an experienced designer to take a look at it,and see what they say. Ask a few experienced played from the local club. A few experienced players will see things one or even two of them may not have.

Think safety and avoiding unwanted interactiobs with non-players, first. Failure to make that the top priority is a disservice to players and non players, alike.

Observe what activities take place in these areas, especially on weekends and after 5pm on weekdays. Do this this over the course of several weeks... not just a couple of times. Make sure you do when the weather's nice, cuz that's when people are most likely to be about.

Is there a well-established pattern of walkers?
Joggers?
Kids playing?
Dog walkers?

Just because you can shoe-horn a few holes into given parcel, doesn't necessarily mean that area's a good fit for DG.

It's one thing to design a course with an eye toward intended lines and typical bad shots. What about lines you didn't intend? How about someone trying to spike hyzer up and over a stand of trees you intended them to throw around? Is there even moderate chance that shot lands near an established trail or path? I guarantee no one's going to be looking for discs falling from the sky as they're walking down that path.

It's OK to put a tee near walking trail as long as the hole throws designed away from the path...not roughly parallel to it, and preferably not across it. I'd suggest not putting any baskets with 50 ft of a walking path, unless the hole is 150ft or less. Never a good idea to have players throwing toward others if it's feasible they can be reached.

I'm not trying to be negative. I'm promoting responsible design. I've seen too many shared use courses in moderate to high traffic areas.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:55 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.9
Courses Played: 373
Niced 1,818 Times in 897 Posts

Are you trying to get a course for where you live, or are you trying to find a place where you can fulfill your desire to design a course?

Either way, the design is one of the the LAST steps in the process (coming only before installation).

Either way, you should be working with an experienced designer.

Oh, and if you plan to tell the city where any tee or target should go, be sure to get the insurance you need to protect yourself. It only costs about $1,500 per year for as long as the course is in the ground.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-24-2020, 10:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 339 Times in 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Oh, and if you plan to tell the city where any tee or target should go, be sure to get the insurance you need to protect yourself. It only costs about $1,500 per year for as long as the course is in the ground.
Almost all jurisdictions will have some time limitation on negligence actions. Buying insurance for as long as the course remains in the ground is probably completely unnecessary. Consult a lawyer in the jurisdiction where the course will be and then purchase the insurance only for the time period necessary. Also, check with an independent agent and let him/her shop around for the best price on a policy.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:42 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 29
Niced 134 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjakes8 View Post
You could easily put 9 holes on this tract for a putter course if the holes averaged around 100 feet each. But it would be boring and repetitive and not much fun to play without some obstacles to throw around. You could do something fun though, if the park would let you add some trees, hay bales, poles, railroad ties, rocks, etc, although chances are they won't let you.
Here's an 18 hole putter course with each hole unique because of the different obstacles used (check out the photos and videos). Make no mistake though, anytime you build something it takes more work and time than you would expect.

https://www.facebook.com/flyingarmadillodiscgolf/

Old 02-24-2020, 08:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 321
Niced 483 Times in 202 Posts

Sorry, it's a rainy day here, so I looked up Lake Crystal, Robinson Park. It really does look pretty. Doodled a few possible holes on a map, but you'd have to seriously consider the safety and 'neighborliness' of throwing beveled edge discs up to 300' near back yard fences and park shelters, not to mention a playground.

These are just total guesses from an aerial image, of course, but I was looking at opportunities to maximize the holes, NOT throw toward hazards, and use spaces that MIGHT not be otherwise busy. That's not to say they might not have a pet or a child run out into some of these fairways, so...

I'd get out there in the winter, on a mediocre day when nobody is out there and throw to objects (tree trunks, most likely), then perhaps mark some favorites with flags and ribbons. See how those spaces get busy on a weekend day in the spring, and adjust. And, get approval from every neighbor before anything 'permanent' happens. They WILL occasionally get discs in their yards.