Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Pro Leopard

What can I say, other than this is an absolutely amazing disc?

I found a 175g Pro Leopard at my local course a little while ago; it had a number on the bottom, and while I was going to take it into my local DG store (Glide in Madison, WI) after my round, I decided to give it a toss. Wow, what a phenomenal flyer. I use Champ and Star Leopards frequently, but had never tried a Pro version before. There was a significant difference pertaining to glide and overall distance between the Pro and the other two versions, with the Pro being surprisingly superior in my opinion than the other two plastics.

I decided to pick up a max weight orange with a silver stamp (which is an awesome color combo by the way). I took it to one of the local courses (Token Creek), where it really did shine. For example, on Hole 10 (399 ft from the Pro Red Tee) I parked it 25' shy of the basket, with the only reason it wasn't 10' from the basket being that on the bounce off the ground it stopped dead at the bottom of a tree. Max height of the flight was ~12', with a beautiful, tight S-curve flight path. I couldn't believe it. During the second round, I reproduced this type shot a few more times. So, for me this is a great compliment to my PD or Teebird (the course determines which one I carry) for shorter, more controlled drives.

Anyone else out there big fan of this disc?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 07:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I only have the older Pro Leopard, glear and gummy like champ plastic.

But I love it. Is yours the newer/current Pro?

I also have an SE one, I'm a fan of them both.

My pro looks like this one

http://www.discaroo.com/img/photos/41900_lg.jpg

Last edited by Huk Finn; 07-26-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

ill have to pick one up. I use a beat DX leopard for my turnover shots and it flies great from a hyzer flip but im afraid its one or two trees away from becoming a roller. It also got ran over in a tournament last week which dramatically changed how it flies.

I got a star leopard to replace it but it doesn't seem to glide near as much and is much more overstable. maybe the pro is a better choice.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.9
Niced 1,119 Times in 482 Posts

IMO, Pros are the best balance of durability, grip, glide, distance, price, and versatility.
Especially the newer Pro blends that feel like they have some Champ in them. The newer Pro is soooo much more durable than the old Pro.

You can get some insane distance out of a newish Pro Leo by working the high distance lines and playing the wind.

Yeah, number me with the Pro Leo fanboys. Great disc for pretty much any golfer.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26.9
Courses Played: 93
Niced 121 Times in 45 Posts

I'm still throwing a couple Leopards from about 8 years ago, including a red SE Leopard that is my main driver. Low tunnel shots with just a bit of hyzer... sweet!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk Finn View Post
I only have the older Pro Leopard, glear and gummy like champ plastic.

But I love it. Is yours the newer/current Pro?

I also have an SE one, I'm a fan of them both.

My pro looks like this one

http://www.discaroo.com/img/photos/41900_lg.jpg
It's one of the new Pros. Atomic Orange with a silver stamp.

Marmoset, you are completely right. I've had a couple Pro discs in the past, but I never was a big fan of them due to the crappy durability and I never could get used to the "waxy" feel of the old mix. This new blend indeed has a better feel and appears that it has a bit better durability than was afforded previously. The glide is great, and you really don't need to put much power into the throw to get great distance. It seems that the disc prefers a slower throw with some nice snap on the end for good distance.

Champ Leopards are what I've always used and recently I've tried a Star Leo, which is nice but not exactly my cup of tea. The Star lacks the throw after throw consistency of the Pro for some reason. And the feel of the Pro is much nicer. I definitely have to recommend this disc to anyone that is looking for a new driver.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 20
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

The old 'candy' pro is super durable, like Champ. But I know which crappier Pro you guys are speaking of.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 201
Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts

The Pro is the best. I have used Champs and Stars, but the feel and glide of the Pro is the bomb. I have had a 168 Pro for almost 1.5 years and I guard it with my life. only my Core threatens it in the bag.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Pro Leopards are awesome. I knind of filled the spot with X XLs but I need to throw my Pro Leos again just to see where they are at with me now because they really do glide and I seem to remember outdistancing my Teebirds with them at times.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 153
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Keep three of them in the bag: Pro(Candy)-stable Champ(broken in)-straight DX(broken in and lighter)-annyyyy