Old 04-21-2014, 02:24 PM

Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN2ts0kPJcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5KlAlrjpjE

How does it look? I'm not sure if I am starting to get it or not. I think some of the things I have been having trouble with are feeling the power from the ground up and not getting a full reach back with my hips turned. Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2014, 02:30 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,113 Times in 747 Posts

Doesn't look bad at all. slow down to work on your acceleration into the hit. Shoulders appear to lead the hips which is why you might feel like you are strong arming the disc and the hips are not following all the way through the target.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:49 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's good to hear! I can see what you're saying about my shoulders being forward and I do feel like I am strong arming the disc a lot of the time. Should I try to keep my head down more? Thanks for the speedy response, Aim.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:10 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,113 Times in 747 Posts

I don't really ever think about keeping my head down, never have and probably wouldn't start as if anything its going to cause strain on your spine.

The biggest thing to remember is to try and get the power moving from your core and not the arm. You also appear to be grabbing the disc at its disc and not getting good leverage from your grip. Think of it like trying to throw the opposite end of the disc which you are gripping at the target point-- currently that end is at your body perpendicular to the target not in-line with it for release.

Something to try and get a feel for how the power comes from the ground/hips is to stand with your arms loose at your sides and use your hips to spin the core in place from side to side-- your arms will almost start to follow in a whipping motion which you only need to guide through the pull.

Sidewinders door frame pull drills are great for this practice as well in relation to setting up that power.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:57 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I understand what you mean about the grip. I have been trying a 2 finger grip to try to feel the weight of the disc as I work around the nose. I didn't do that at all in those throws. I also have really had trouble learning to accelerate at the end and not when I'm pulling through my chest. I think I'm slowly getting there. I will definitely work with sidewinders drills. I have watched a few but never actually tried them. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,237 Times in 1,977 Posts

You turn backward way too early and lean way too far back. The sequencing is off as you start swinging before your weight transfers to the front leg. Your rear foot is plant 180 from the target, you can't leverage yourself forward from your instep. Plant your rear toes around 45-90 degrees closer to the target and turn your core into the leg instead of leaning away over your rear leg. Don't keep your head down, unless you want to wreck your back. Just maintain good athletic posture and balance.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will work on all of that. I think I am going to stick with standstill throwing until I get a better feel for turning my core and swinging after my weight transfers to the front leg.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:42 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know there is a lot wrong in this video but I've been struggling to get my hips moving correctly and consistently. I'm hoping it will come with more practice but it has been really slow. Should I work on anything specific at the moment?

Old 06-05-2014, 12:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,237 Times in 1,977 Posts

Use your hips to swing the arm back as a unit and get your head over the disc. You turn the hips/body back and then uncurl the arm back so there's no connection.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:53 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice sidewinder. I haven't posted anything for awhile because I feel like I haven't made any progress. I have watched just about every video you have posted on DGCR and I also have seen just about all of your youtube videos. I feel like I understand how it should work in my mind but my body doesn't understand how to put it together yet. The only thing I feel like I have sort of fixed is staying more upright and not leaning over my rear leg in the back swing. There is so much wrong in this video. Even though I had just lifted pretty hard I don't count it as an excuse for my poor form. This is a lot harder than I expected and I still haven't gotten close to working in an x-step yet. I guess I won't be throwing with Paul anytime soon, haha.